Chelsea 2 Borussia Dortmund 0 (2 - 1 on aggregate)

JaneB

37 minutes ago, chara said:

Again..makes a lot of sense to let everyone know who the penalty taker will be now...unless of course it's a bluff to throw off the opposition..or maybe it is H and it's a double bluff ..they think it's a bluff but it's not or perhaps it IS a bluff and it's really Kepa or that's a suggestion but a bluff and really it's...ahh ... ..the way to madness..my head hurts now.

Every time we got a penalty and Jorginho was playing, Jorginho took the penalty. I think everyone knew he was our primary penalty taker. Remember how surprised you were every time Frank Lampard took a penalty? More likely you were surprised if he didn't!

We've not had any penalties of late, but if we had a series of games were we got penalties and Havertz stepped up every time (as he often did when Jorginho wasn't on the pitch but he was), it would be fairly obvious that Havertz was now our main penalty taker.

I'm not sure confirming it in a press conference really makes much difference. Most goalkeepers will know who the most likely penalty takers are in each team, and where they tend to place the ball and hope they make the right call. 

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Every time we got a penalty and Jorginho was playing, Jorginho took the penalty. I think everyone knew he was our primary penalty taker. Remember how surprised you were every time Frank Lampard took a penalty? More likely you were surprised if he didn't!

We've not had any penalties of late, but if we had a series of games were we got penalties and Havertz stepped up every time (as he often did when Jorginho wasn't on the pitch but he was), it would be fairly obvious that Havertz was now our main penalty taker.

I'm not sure confirming it in a press conference really makes much difference. Most goalkeepers will know who the most likely penalty takers are in each team, and where they tend to place the ball and hope they make the right call. 

You are absolutely right Bob but for me it sums up GP's approach....why give any info out?..let the opposition make plans...recently there was a bit of annoyance that team lineups appear to have been leaked. Same principle and with injuries affecting selection,,,why help opposition plans,

I agree it's not too hard to work out who is going to take the penalty but...

(And I was only trying to be as lighthearted as I can at this time!)

Potter has said this:
"They know the importance of the game tomorrow night. They want the team to go through, to progress, and they know how important they are.

"We want to make sure it's tough for Dortmund away from home in the Champions League and we need our supporters for that."

The Bridge truly is a Blue Wall on our big CL nights, despite how dire the atmosphere can be like in domestic games. So I'm really really hoping fans who are usually quiet, will step up tonight. 

I'm certainly going to be making sure they are. We need to push our team every inch like the home fans do when we play away in Europe. 

• Like 4

I dunno... this feels like one of those big Stamford Bridge Champions League nights...

We've come back from way worse before against way better teams. Thinking Napoli, PSG, and Barcelona before.

You never know...

(and yes I'm aware we aren't great ourselves, but my point stands)

Normally, this wouldn't be a big ask for us, not easy, but I'd be going into it with an element of confidence that we can get the job done, however, these aren't normal times and we're in such a bad run of form. We can't score and we need 2 goals, minimum.

Still, I have hope and I just hope we see some of our players step up, take the game by the scruff of the neck and drag us through. I feel like if we get an early goal, we could go on and do what's needed, but if they get the first goal, the fans may well turn and then it will be difficult.

1 hour ago, Proud-Blue said:

I dunno... this feels like one of those big Stamford Bridge Champions League nights...

We've come back from way worse before against way better teams. Thinking Napoli, PSG, and Barcelona before.

You never know...

(and yes I'm aware we aren't great ourselves, but my point stands)

It is a big night and, under normal circumstances, we would be bang up for it, the bridge would be rocking and we would comfortably go through.

Unfortunately, these aren't normal circumstances , we have a clueless manager who doesn't know how to get his teams to score goals and we need at least two. The bridge will be flat, so many people have just had enough and this will be the last straw for those that still sit on the fence, or those that still cling onto this competition as one last chance.

Expect the boos to be deafening at the final whistle 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

It is a big night and, under normal circumstances, we would be bang up for it, the bridge would be rocking and we would comfortably go through.

Unfortunately, these aren't normal circumstances , we have a clueless manager who doesn't know how to get his teams to score goals and we need at least two. The bridge will be flat, so many people have just had enough and this will be the last straw for those that still sit on the fence, or those that still cling onto this competition as one last chance.

Yep , nice man but wrong man.

• Agree 1

2 goals required to see us through tonight then (excepting a 1-0 and penalties, god forbid the thought).

Last time we scored more than 1 goal in a match was the first game after the WC and it was 2 against the mighty Bournemouth on the 27th Dec. 

Dortmund have won 10 in a row, we can barely buy a result let alone 2 goals without letting one in.

So the stars are aligned and we'll score a bucket load.

Then I stopped dreaming and realised that, we ain't got a prayer.

As is the way currently, I travel in hope, wish for the best but truly expect the worst.

10 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Just been directing a bunch of BVB fans to the stadium. They seem a decent bunch but clearly nervous - I've no idea why. 

Should’ve taken a lesson from the Potter coaching manual - completely confuse the b’jesus out of them, then make them go to the completely wrong place.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

There is a drive to get as many fans as possible to Fulham Road for 5:30 onwards with pyros for a reception committee, like before the Madrid game.  

Edited by Ham

Sadly I think we exit the Champions League tonight. Even more sad is the fact that there is no indication when, or even if we will return. The Potter appointment  is very much like the Mercedes F1 narrow side pod experiment: a wrong turn leading to a dead end and a full stop on the glory trail.

• Agree 1

On 06/03/2023 at 08:48, FrankLampard8 said:

Genuine question, how do you feel about the money in movies and music? 

I always find it odd when people moan about footballer's being paid too much. Football generates that amount of money and it has to go somewhere. I would much rather it end up in the pockets of the players who are the talent and largely working class boys who worked hard to get where they are than to the already rich owners and companies involved at the top.

In fairness I wasn't singling out players,I said 'I can't abide the money in football' which I meant in general.

As for movies and music - I feel much the same although I get a hell of a lot more pleasure from music (not so much movies as I think there is too much of a muchness with little talent around).

2 hours ago, Ham said:

There is a drive to get as many fans as possible to Fulham Road for 5:30 onwards with pyros for a reception committee, like before the Madrid game.  

Atmosphere building nicely 💙

• Thanks 2

Ok, works finished, it’s time to get pumped for another Champions League night! We won’t be in the competition next season and who knows when we’ll be next back in it, so let’s make it a night to remember and get ourselves in to the draw for the quarters. Come on Chelsea, you got this!