Chelsea 2 Borussia Dortmund 0 (2 - 1 on aggregate)

JaneB

11 hours ago, ROTG said:

What’s the point.  

If the club appoint a WC coach neither are getting into the coaches starting eleven.  They are expensive squad players at best next season, should the club changes the coaching staff.

The point is that both players had barely played prior to arriving, along with joining from foreign leagues. They're both players that have longer term futures here than the deadbeat options like Pulisic or Ziyech. With our league situation being what it is we're better off using the games left to get these guys, and some of the other young players, as many minutes and reps into them in preparation for next season. This ultimately provides a better foundation for them to begin from.

It doesn't matter if Potter is here or not in the summer, or whether the likes of Mudryk and co are automatic starters, they're still going to play sizeable roles for us next season and that's a big part of why we invested in them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ham said:

Frankfurt, RB Liepzieg and Porto in the quarters would be ever so nice.

Screenshot_20230309_223732_Chrome.jpg

I don't think there's a difference between Porto or Inter, they are as bad as each other based on that shambolic 1st leg. It was like the Spurs-Milan game. 

I expect City to win but Leipzig going through wouldn't be a surprise. 

Napoli and Madrid are through I think. 

For us:

The Milans or Porto would be ideal.

Benfica and Napoli in the middling category. I would category them alongside Dortmund. 

Munich, City or Madrid as late as possible the better. Ideally the final, as 2 legs would be too much against their quality. 

5 hours ago, xceleryx said:

They're both players that have longer term futures here than the deadbeat options like Pulisic or Ziyech

Maybe the case, however to get the best price for the likes of Pulisic and Ziyech it  beneficial to keep them in the shop window rather than moving them to casualty corner.  

13 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Maybe the case, however to get the best price for the likes of Pulisic and Ziyech it  beneficial to keep them in the shop window rather than moving them to casualty corner.  

I'd agree if these where still somewhat useful, however both are not. Their values are virtually set in stone because of their performances, contract situation or age. Heck, there's probably more likelihood of both tanking their value further by continuing to play - that's how bad they are. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

I'd agree if these where still somewhat useful, however both are not. Their values are virtually set in stone because of their performances, contract situation or age. Heck, there's probably more likelihood of both tanking their value further by continuing to play - that's how bad they are. 

Let put it like this, they are more useful to Team GP at the present than Madweke and Mudryk.  Especially as Team GP have reverted to TT setup. 

On 07/03/2023 at 18:47, martin1905 said:

Shocking line up, reiterating the stupid mistake in leaving out Badiashile.

What other line up could he have selected? I still think he had to register Felix, Mudryk and Enzo.

Silva wasn't inured then, and we were playing a back 4..... thankfully Cucurella decided to turn up.

On 07/03/2023 at 19:43, Bob Singleton said:

Indeed! Chalobah on the left isn't the answer. Nor is Fofana. Nor is Koulibaly. The best solution, sadly, had to be left out of the squad to make room for players who ought to be creating/scoring goals for us.

Quite.

On 07/03/2023 at 20:20, DannyLB said:

Why are those not fouls? Ridiculous that's got to be a penalty.

It's a clear foul. Havertz made the mistake of trying to play on. He should have just collapsed and appealed for the foul.

On 07/03/2023 at 20:33, My Blood Is Blue said:

I presume Can will be allowed to make 37 fouls before getting a booking

Can't stand that man........was the same when he played for Liverpool. Constant fouls.

On 07/03/2023 at 22:14, martin1905 said:

WHAT THE FUCK DO I KNOW?????

Well............ 🙂 

On 07/03/2023 at 22:20, martin1905 said:

Penalty?

I thought we got very, very lucky but not seen a replay.

Stick on. Arm was out.

On 07/03/2023 at 22:25, martin1905 said:

In real time, it just looked far too close but is what it is and we'll take it!!

Compare that to the one we didn't get at WH

On 10/03/2023 at 04:16, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Benfica and Napoli in the middling category. I would category them alongside Dortmund. 

Napoli would be a tough draw. Tougher than Dortmund IMO. 15 or so points clear in Serie A. 

57 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Napoli would be a tough draw. Tougher than Dortmund IMO. 15 or so points clear in Serie A. 

I was saying that before we beat Dortmund, but my confidence is riding high now and Napoli themselves recently lost at home against a mediocre Lazio.

Plus they are not experienced at this stage of CL. We have players who have won the whole thing. Those little margins might make the difference.

43 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

I was saying that before we beat Dortmund, but my confidence is riding high now and Napoli themselves recently lost at home against a mediocre Lazio.

Plus they are not experienced at this stage of CL. We have players who have won the whole thing. Those little margins might make the difference.

As well as we've regrouped recently I don't think we're ready for the well-oiled super confident Napoli yet.  

20 minutes ago, Ham said:

As well as we've regrouped recently I don't think we're ready for the well-oiled super confident Napoli yet.  

No easy games in quarter finals semis or final.

I understand and agree with your timing factor but for me if Chelsea (or any club) can't beat a side in the quarter fs then they can't beat them in a semi or a final.

Over simplification maybe and to repeat I understand the "on the day" factor.

3 hours ago, Ham said:

I think City are clear favourites this year with only RM being a team capable of stopping them. Having said that, I think we are capable of beating RM and every other team left in the comp.  

On 08/03/2023 at 14:34, NoblyBobly said:

Of course you can get lucky with CL …Tuchel got lucky too didn’t he?  

No he didn't.We were the best team in the competition and deserved to win the competition. 

What happened to us after this ?.

5 hours ago, kev61 said:

No he didn't.We were the best team in the competition and deserved to win the competition. 

What happened to us after this ?.

Yes he did. 

You’re saying we were the best team in Europe (or at least in the elite competition in Europe) but we’re struggling to get top 4 in our own country. Were not City , United , Liverpool above us in Prem league better than us as teams? If Leicester hadn’t thrown a two goal lead in the last game we would have finished 5th. I think we lost the final game to Villa.  And let’s not forget it was the much maligned Lampard who got us into that competition and also got us through the group stages.  
Were we a better side than City? We were on the day certainly and no one is going to take that trophy away from us, but no we weren’t overall. 
Neither of us can prove our point, but there are other Chelsea sides much more deserving of winning the CL than that one of 2021.  Think of those teams under Mourinho and Hiddink . Criminal it was. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2023 at 10:25, NoblyBobly said:

Yes he did. 

What was lucky about the CL win in 2021?

We were the best team in every knockout round we played, including the final.

We beat Atletico, Real and City. 

Zero luck. Brilliant performances.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Yep, that run was ridiculously efficient and controlled.

5 games, 3 clean sheets, 2 goals conceded.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Haha.I said the same thing weeks ago and yet not one comment.One could get an inferiority complex on here😉

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, kev61 said:

Haha.I said the same thing weeks ago and yet not one comment.One could get an inferiority complex on here😉

Sorry Kev..and Ham...I tend to read you both and nod sagely in agreement but not comment enough!