Chelsea 2 Borussia Dortmund 0 (2 - 1 on aggregate)

JaneB

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our UEFA Champions League Round of 16 Second Leg match against Borussia Dortmund at Stamford Bridge before, during and after the game.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 20:00 hours on Tuesday, 7th March 2023 (Local UK time/date) (Live on BT Sport)

On 23/02/2023 at 22:20, Ham said:

If Man U finish top 4 and win the EL, does 5th become important?

No. If they finish 5th or below and win the EL, then 5 teams go to the CL. But if they finish top 4 and win the EL there is no extra CL place.

Only a maximum of 5 teams from a league can go to the CL under the current qualification rules for which this is the final season.

Next season the maximum increases to 6 teams. Plus next season will see the top 2 performing leagues of that season, get an extra CL place.

Which means there is a high chance 5th place gets CL next season. Very convenient for us that this new format starts just as we are in our transition period. 

• Like 2

On 23/02/2023 at 22:39, chara said:

I maybe misremembering things but wasn't the away goal rule supposed to discourage a defensive away game park the bus tactic ?

Correct that was the logic when it was first introduced, back when there was a huge discrepancy in playing home and away, whereas nowadays everything in every country is standardised so much that it's less of an issue.

I think the real reason behind scrapping away goals was to remove that extra bit of jeopardy from the ties, to ensure big teams aren't surprisingly knocked out due to the rule. 

It's easier for an underdog team to make a surprise with away goals than it is without in my opinion. 

I personally liked the rule because it added a different dimension to the games. It wasn't unfair since both teams had a portion of time where they could score away goals. The only unfair part for me was away goals counting in extra time, allowing the away team 30 minutes extra to deal the knockout away goal blow. 

Edited by CarefreeMuratcan
  • Agree 1

I hope that Potter sticks with 3 at the back; it makes are more solid at the back, especially without Silva and it also gives us back Chilwell and James as attacking threats, which is one of the biggest strengths of our squad. Hopefully, James is fit to play this one. Sadly, I guess we have no choice but to play Havertz again, because we can’t throw Fofana into this one.

Kepa

Chalobah - Koulibaly - Fofana

James - Kovacic - Enzo - Chilwell

Sterling - Havertz - Felix

19 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I hope that Potter sticks with 3 at the back; it makes are more solid at the back, especially without Silva and it also gives us back Chilwell and James as attacking threats, which is one of the biggest strengths of our squad. Hopefully, James is fit to play this one. Sadly, I guess we have no choice but to play Havertz again, because we can’t throw Fofana into this one.

Kepa

Chalobah - Koulibaly - Fofana

James - Kovacic - Enzo - Chilwell

Sterling - Havertz - Felix

I'd risk it and throw him in personally, Havertz looks a million miles from scoring and we've really lacked a focal point that can pin the defence back on the edge of the box. Worse case D.Fofana has a poor first half and he's taken off at HT. That's not a big difference between what we're currently getting anyway.

Otherwise I think the team itself is spot on and what I also expect to see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

I'd risk it and throw him in personally, Havertz looks a million miles from scoring and we've really lacked a focal point that can pin the defence back on the edge of the box. Worse case D.Fofana has a poor first half and he's taken off at HT. That's not a big difference between what we're currently getting anyway.

Trouble is that if we go three at the back who have we got to bring on if we get an injury early on? Cucurella? Or is Azpilicueta available?

9 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Trouble is that if we go three at the back who have we got to bring on if we get an injury early on? Cucurella? Or is Azpilicueta available?

Both are options if available, otherwise we can just revert back to a back four if we're really scratching for options. Alternatively, if RJ is fit we could just slot him at RCB if we're needing and go with Loftus-Cheek at RWB to preserve the back three. 

There's move that can be made and this is a big part of the tactical problem solving Potter needs to be proactive in addressing.

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

I think it’s a lot to ask of him to start a CL second leg that we have to win. I do equally agree playing Havertz there again causes us loads of problems. I’d consider playing Sterling through the middle and bringing Gallagher in.

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Can D Fofana play in the CL?  I was previously told he couldn't because he couldn't be registered? But he is perhaps below a certain age threshold? 

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

David Dato Fofana isn't in the CL squad (along with Auba), so we're stuck with Havertz as a false 9 unless we start Sterling as a false 9... or Felix as a false 9

EDIT: Just caught up with newer posts from @CarefreeMuratcan and @Sciatika

Regarding age... time was any U21 could be put on the B list, but that was changed a few seasons ago. Now any U21 has to have been at the club for 2 seasons, so no more buying in an 18 year old Jude Bellingham and sticking them on the B list... they have to go on the A list if you want to use them.

Edited by Bob Singleton
typo
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Can D Fofana play in the CL?  I was previously told he couldn't because he couldn't be registered? But he is perhaps below a certain age threshold? 

49 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

David Dato Fofana isn't in the CL squad (along with Auba), so we're stuck with Havertz as a false 9 unless we start Sterling as a false 9... or Felix as a false 9

EDIT: Just caught up with newer posts from @CarefreeMuratcan and @Sciatika

Regarding age... time was any U21 could be put on the B list, but that was changed a few seasons ago. Now any U21 has to have been at the club for 2 seasons, so no more buying in an 18 year old Jude Bellingham and sticking them on the B list... they have to go on the A list if you want to use them.

Well, there you go. Had just assumed he was in the U21 bracket but makes sense now that I think about it and not being at the club long enough to qualify. 

3 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Well, there you go. Had just assumed he was in the U21 bracket but makes sense now that I think about it and not being at the club long enough to qualify. 

He is not good enough anyway.  

25 minutes ago, ROTG said:

He is not good enough anyway.  

And you've based this on the 100 odd minutes he's been allowed since joining a few weeks ago? Or is it based on him not coming from an 'elite' club in an 'elite' league, so therefore he's clearly "not good enough anyway"

Have you thought of joining The Shed End forums instead? Much more your type of people there!

• Agree 1