Squad Status: 2023/24 Season

Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Just now, ROTG said:

Should not be a problem, don't think the club are on Sky or MoTD premium list of match coverage for next season 😃

We are the first Super Sunday game but probably because they're contractually obligated to show Liverpool games eight days a week 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

I'm of the opinion we should keep Gallagher and Colwill in the side for next season, both I think can play useful roles for us. In Gallaghers case, while a bit rough technically, the rest of his game lends itself to Poch's type of football. The fact he's also wants to be here and fight only reaffirms what I'd keep him. I'd use him as a backup to Nkunku in that #10 role, where if we need a bit more run and energy he can slot in at the #10 and drop back into midfield to form a three when needed. Plus Nkunku's flexible enough to move out to the left or upfront should we want to have both in the same side together. 

Broja I'd be selling, although probably harder to do when returning from injury. He ain't it as far as I'm concerned and miles away from being good enough even at Southampton the other year. A loan is probably best for all given he simply needs regular football at this point. I'd also explore a loan for Hall, either one to start the season with where we have an option in January to recall if needed, or keep him for the first half of the season and if he's not getting enough of a look send him out in January for the second half of the year. 

Disagree on Broja.  I think we need to see what he's capable of with his new teammates and coach. 

I definitely saw Costa/Mitrovic seeds in his early days.  

He strikes me as a no-nonsence player who'll be in the right place and who instinctively knows where the goal is. 

48 minutes ago, Ham said:

Disagree on Broja.  I think we need to see what he's capable of with his new teammates and coach. 

I definitely saw Costa/Mitrovic seeds in his early days.  

He strikes me as a no-nonsence player who'll be in the right place and who instinctively knows where the goal is. 

Did you watch Broja at Southampton at all?

The likelihood of him having improved since then is slim to nil based on the fact he spent virtually all of last season out injured. In the few cameos he did have all he showed was once decent energy, not really anything tangible that would suggest he's worthy enough of a place in the first team squad much less an active role of sizeable proportions. 

And in all fairness, he wasn't anything special at Southampton either before he returned. While his profile is nice in terms of what a modern striker looks like physically, the application side of things ain't it at this point in time. 

Maybe I'm missing something here but I really don't see what others do in him. Shoud've taken the £30m or whatever it was being floated about last season for him and ran to the hills. 

😁

6 hours ago, asvaberg said:

Shouldn't a captain be able to do TV/radio-interviews in English

There are a fair number of homegrown players who struggle with articulate English!...and don't even go near some regional accents!😄

Edited by chara
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Did you watch Broja at Southampton at all?

The likelihood of him having improved since then is slim to nil based on the fact he spent virtually all of last season out injured. In the few cameos he did have all he showed was once decent energy, not really anything tangible that would suggest he's worthy enough of a place in the first team squad much less an active role of sizeable proportions. 

And in all fairness, he wasn't anything special at Southampton either before he returned. While his profile is nice in terms of what a modern striker looks like physically, the application side of things ain't it at this point in time. 

Maybe I'm missing something here but I really don't see what others do in him. Shoud've taken the £30m or whatever it was being floated about last season for him and ran to the hills. 

Capture.PNG

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

That's Kane isn't it? 

Lets hope Broja turns into our version 

Yes. Not saying he will do that, but more the point I am making is that to dismiss a player after one loan is not particularly clever. And nor on the 2 PL starts he got for us

• Like 1

7 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Capture.PNG

I get the point, but I also wasn't necessarily speaking about Broja's goal return more what he is as a player.

He's selfish and blinked because he plays with his head down, as such doesn't really get those around him involved - not helped by also being a terrible passer. He himself has also struggled to make a tangible impact within general play, so if we're after someone that gets involved within the game itself then Broja has a lot of ground to make up. His decision making is questionable at the best of times. And while we've not seen it show here in the cameos had, his work ethic has been question when at Southampton on a couple of occasions . Once instance seeing him singled out in a presser by Hasenhuttl after I think they played Palace. 

I've acknowledged in the past that he's got a good physical profile for a modern day forward in terms of his size, mobility, and speed. It's the footballing side that's well below what's needed her us here and now, let alone when also coming back from a serious injury. If he's lost that bit of zip then one of his biggest plus points suddenly vanishes. As I said when Broja was at Southampton, he looked a good 3-4 years away from being viable here should his development continue upwards. Having lost last season, he really isn't any closer IMO to being good enough and simply needs to be playing constant football if he's to really stake a worthwhile claim. 

• Agree 3

11 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Is there any news on Badiashile, Broja and Mudryk? Would like to see the whole squad get a decent preseason this year. 

Mudryk is at the U21 Euro's, however I think picked up a calf injury and missed the first couple of games. Don't think it's deemed bad enough to rule him out completely, so I imagine will be fine for pre-season once it begins.

• Thanks 1

Where are we at the moment in terms of squad strength vs our competition?

Something that scares me, is that Arsenal and Man U are getting some really crucial pieces to their “projects” while we have paid a lot of money on players who are worse (Mudryk, Sterling). We are getting some deadwood out the door, but equally the season kicks off in 3 weeks with our first pre-season game and in roughly 6 weeks the Premier League season starts. There is a lot of new players still, and plenty more who we have to buy to have a reasonable squad next season. Not a lot of time to get the team together… 

Right now the five best teams in England imo. In order:*

1. Man C

Ederson

Akanji        Diaz        Ake

Stones      Rodri 

Foden  De Bruyne  Silva   Grealish

Haaland

Strong players on bench: Walker, Laporte, Lewis, Kovacic, Palmer, Phillips, Mahrez, Alvarez

Need: They probably don’t need anything, but if improvements are to be made it’s in their defensive options. Talk of Gvardiol. They could also use another AM if they are to continue to play the 3241. 

2. Arsenal

Ramsdale 

White            Gabriel          Saliba        Zinchenko

Rice

Havertz            Odegaard

Saka                  Jesus               Martinelli

Strong players on bench: Holding, Tierney, Partey,  Xhaka, Vieira, Jorginho, Trossard, Nelson, Nketiah

Need: Stronger RB, a CB and one more option at S. Maybe Timber is that man who can cover both positions (RB & CB). If they manage that, they’ve got a really strong squad. 

3. Liverpool

Alisson 

Alexander-Arnold van Dijk   Konate   Robertson

Fabinho  Henderson Elliott

Salah   Nunez   Gakpo

Strong players on bench: Gomez, Tsimikas, Matip, Thiago, Jones, Carvalho, Bajcetic, Diaz, Jota

Need: Probably need strengthening at CM and upfront with one additional body each

4. Man U

New GK

Dalot           Martinez             Varane          Shaw

Casemiro

Fernandes         Eriksen

Antony           Rashford          Mount

Strong players on bench: Lindelöf, McGuire, Malacia, Wan-Bissaka, McTominay, Fred,  Pellistri, Elanga, Garnacho, Martial

Need: New GK, Stronger RB + AM and S. They’ve got a strong starting XI but lacks depth. 

5. Newcastle               

Pope

Trippier          Botman            Schär            Burn 

Joelinton         Guimaraes        Tonali 

Almiron        Isak      Gordon

Strong players on bench: Targett, Lascelles, Longstaff, Willock, Anderson, Murphy, Saint-Maximin, Wilson

Need: Assuming Tonali is done. Newcastle will have to strengthen in defense and attack to be able to keep up the performances and play in Europe. 

Outsiders: Tottenham, Brighton, Chelsea, Aston Villa

So where do we stand? Assuming Caicedo and Jackson are done and we do get rid of Lukaku, Pulisic, Auba and Ziyech: 

Chelsea

Arrizabalaga

James       Fofana         Badiashile       Chilwell

Caicedo          Enzo

Sterling                 Nkunku              Mudryk

Jackson

Strong players on bench: Silva, Colwill, Chalobah, Cucurella, Gallagher, Hall, Chukwuemeka, Santos, Madueke, Broja

Need: New GK is a must or keep Slonina to fight it out with Kepa. Defense pretty much done. Midfield is too inexperienced, feels like we need one more player in the mix and let one of Hall/Chukwuemeka leave on loan. We need one more winger/AM now that we’ve lost both Havertz and Mount. We also need a striker considering both Lukaku and Auba is set to leave. 

Hopefully we manage to close deals for Lukaku, Auba, Pulisic and Ziyech asap so we can focus on the five players we need to get in - Caicedo, Jackson, one CM, one AM and a S1. If we manage to do that, and the players we sign are quality, we should be able to make a real push for a top five finish. 

* I’m aware some of these players may leave and that some of them aren’t 100% confirmed. 

• Like 1

@Sleeping Dave Thanks, won't quote your whole post for ease. 

I made a similar point when Bob posted our current squad a few days ago.... We are crying out for firepower.  To go into next season with our front 4 as Sterling, Nkunku, Mudryk and Jackson,  would be beyond negligent.  It's even weaker than it is today with the likes of Pulisic, Ziyech and Havertz etc. 

I really hope we are looking to make a big splash or two in the attack as there is simply far too much inexperience and risk as it stands.  Mudryk might turn into a world-beater, Nkunku might replicate his form from the Bundesliga, Jackson might be the next Drogba etc,  but there's a lot of 'IFs' 

PS - minor one but Liverpool have signed Mac Allister don't forget, which obviously strengthens their midfield and supports your general point about rivals improving in key areas. 

One of the accounts boffins can set me straight on this, but if we are “losing” money on deals for Lukaku Auba Pulisic and Ziyech, is it better to do it after July 1st so it goes into the following year as a loss? And if so, might that be a reason they are still here? And hopefully will not be, by the end of next week!

13 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

One of the accounts boffins can set me straight on this, but if we are “losing” money on deals for Lukaku Auba Pulisic and Ziyech, is it better to do it after July 1st so it goes into the following year as a loss? And if so, might that be a reason they are still here? And hopefully will not be, by the end of next week!

Whatever we receive for those sales are still seen as immediate income, which is what we needed.  Based on what we're asking for, I can't see any losses per se. The prices quoted are the amortised diminishing values of the players. 

57 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Firstly, "FFP accounting" is a different beast to normal business accounting that, amongst other things, determines how much tax is due, shows if a company is being well run, is profitable, etc.

I'll just use transfer fees (outgoing and incoming) for now, and not complicate things by including wages, bonuses, image rights and any other payments a club may make to a player over the course of their contract.

Player X is purchased for £60m and given a 5 year contract. From an FFP point of view, this goes down in the "costs" column as £12m in the first year of the contract, and £12m for each subsequent year (years 2 to 5).  After two seasons, therefore, his "book value" is £36m (£60m less two lots of £12m). If the player is sold for £40m at the end of his second season, while the figure is £20m less than the club paid (a "loss" in normal accounting terms), that £40m goes down as "income" in the (FFP)  ledger. You could even say the club made a £4m profit given they sold him for more than his book value, although it's not a real profit.

Of course not all transfers will be as the one above. Some players will be sold for less than their book value. However, irrespective of whether there is a "book value" profit or not, the important thing is that the money from the sale goes into the income column for that accounting period.

As I've said before in other posts, FFP is calculated on a three year rolling period.  We are currently in the 1st July 2020 to 3oth June 2023 accounting period. If we are within the rules of what we can spend (our income over those 3 years + €5m) then it's probably better to hold deals over until after midnight tonight  so the money (which is "income" even though a loss in real accountancy terms) can be included in the next 3 year rolling period.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rob B said:

@Sleeping Dave Thanks, won't quote your whole post for ease. 

I made a similar point when Bob posted our current squad a few days ago.... We are crying out for firepower.  To go into next season with our front 4 as Sterling, Nkunku, Mudryk and Jackson,  would be beyond negligent.  It's even weaker than it is today with the likes of Pulisic, Ziyech and Havertz etc. 

I really hope we are looking to make a big splash or two in the attack as there is simply far too much inexperience and risk as it stands.  Mudryk might turn into a world-beater, Nkunku might replicate his form from the Bundesliga, Jackson might be the next Drogba etc,  but there's a lot of 'IFs' 

PS - minor one but Liverpool have signed Mac Allister don't forget, which obviously strengthens their midfield and supports your general point about rivals improving in key areas. 

Completely agree. If we had problems scoring last season imagine the problems we will face this season? And if poor Kepa is still here imagine the pressure he will be under then considering that it is the rubbish attackers fault he can’t catch a ball! 

Forgot about Mac Allister. So Liverpool just need to sign an attacker and then their done. I think they’ll be a genuine threat to City next season. Next season I reckon will be really tight at the top. 

On 30/06/2023 at 14:07, Sleeping Dave said:

Where are we at the moment in terms of squad strength vs our competition?

Something that scares me, is that Arsenal and Man U are getting some really crucial pieces to their “projects” while we have paid a lot of money on players who are worse (Mudryk, Sterling). We are getting some deadwood out the door, but equally the season kicks off in 3 weeks with our first pre-season game and in roughly 6 weeks the Premier League season starts. There is a lot of new players still, and plenty more who we have to buy to have a reasonable squad next season. Not a lot of time to get the team together… 

Right now the five best teams in England imo. In order:*

1. Man C

Ederson

Akanji        Diaz        Ake

Stones      Rodri 

Foden  De Bruyne  Silva   Grealish

Haaland

Strong players on bench: Walker, Laporte, Lewis, Kovacic, Palmer, Phillips, Mahrez, Alvarez

Need: They probably don’t need anything, but if improvements are to be made it’s in their defensive options. Talk of Gvardiol. They could also use another AM if they are to continue to play the 3241. 

2. Arsenal

Ramsdale 

White            Gabriel          Saliba        Zinchenko

Rice

Havertz            Odegaard

Saka                  Jesus               Martinelli

Strong players on bench: Holding, Tierney, Partey,  Xhaka, Vieira, Jorginho, Trossard, Nelson, Nketiah

Need: Stronger RB, a CB and one more option at S. Maybe Timber is that man who can cover both positions (RB & CB). If they manage that, they’ve got a really strong squad. 

3. Liverpool

Alisson 

Alexander-Arnold van Dijk   Konate   Robertson

Fabinho  Henderson Elliott

Salah   Nunez   Gakpo

Strong players on bench: Gomez, Tsimikas, Matip, Thiago, Jones, Carvalho, Bajcetic, Diaz, Jota

Need: Probably need strengthening at CM and upfront with one additional body each

4. Man U

New GK

Dalot           Martinez             Varane          Shaw

Casemiro

Fernandes         Eriksen

Antony           Rashford          Mount

Strong players on bench: Lindelöf, McGuire, Malacia, Wan-Bissaka, McTominay, Fred,  Pellistri, Elanga, Garnacho, Martial

Need: New GK, Stronger RB + AM and S. They’ve got a strong starting XI but lacks depth. 

5. Newcastle               

Pope

Trippier          Botman            Schär            Burn 

Joelinton         Guimaraes        Tonali 

Almiron        Isak      Gordon

Strong players on bench: Targett, Lascelles, Longstaff, Willock, Anderson, Murphy, Saint-Maximin, Wilson

Need: Assuming Tonali is done. Newcastle will have to strengthen in defense and attack to be able to keep up the performances and play in Europe. 

Outsiders: Tottenham, Brighton, Chelsea, Aston Villa

So where do we stand? Assuming Caicedo and Jackson are done and we do get rid of Lukaku, Pulisic, Auba and Ziyech: 

Chelsea

Arrizabalaga

James       Fofana         Badiashile       Chilwell

Caicedo          Enzo

Sterling                 Nkunku              Mudryk

Jackson

Strong players on bench: Silva, Colwill, Chalobah, Cucurella, Gallagher, Hall, Chukwuemeka, Santos, Madueke, Broja

Need: New GK is a must or keep Slonina to fight it out with Kepa. Defense pretty much done. Midfield is too inexperienced, feels like we need one more player in the mix and let one of Hall/Chukwuemeka leave on loan. We need one more winger/AM now that we’ve lost both Havertz and Mount. We also need a striker considering both Lukaku and Auba is set to leave. 

Hopefully we manage to close deals for Lukaku, Auba, Pulisic and Ziyech asap so we can focus on the five players we need to get in - Caicedo, Jackson, one CM, one AM and a S1. If we manage to do that, and the players we sign are quality, we should be able to make a real push for a top five finish. 

* I’m aware some of these players may leave and that some of them aren’t 100% confirmed. 

One important consideration is we have no Europe. Our squad doesn't need to be as big as those other teams for this coming season 

21 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

One important consideration is we have no Europe. Our squad doesn't need to be as big as those other teams for this coming season 

That’s true, we don’t need as big of a squad as the other teams competing in Europe. But we still need players to cover for injuries/loss of form/never getting into form. 

Even if we do sign Caicedo, we still only have a midfield consisting of Enzo, Caicedo, Gallagher, Santos and Hall. At AM, we only have Madueke, Nkunku, Sterling and Mudryk for three positions. At this time we only have one striker - Jackson who’s had the grand total of 6 hot months in his senior career. We need quality players in these three areas - if not I’m fearing a disastrous season 😳

18 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

That’s true, we don’t need as big of a squad as the other teams competing in Europe. But we still need players to cover for injuries/loss of form/never getting into form. 

Even if we do sign Caicedo, we still only have a midfield consisting of Enzo, Caicedo, Gallagher, Santos and Hall. At AM, we only have Madueke, Nkunku, Sterling and Mudryk for three positions. At this time we only have one striker - Jackson who’s had the grand total of 6 hot months in his senior career. We need quality players in these three areas - if not I’m fearing a disastrous season 😳

I cannot see us not adding numbers to midfield and attack in what's left of the window. 

I agree that a couple of top quality established players would be preferable because we look a bit undercooked at the moment.

Who knows how all of these young players will take to the PL without a backbone of senior winners. 

42 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

It's almost impossible we will score less than last season.... That's something to cling on to. 

7 hours ago, Ham said:

I cannot see us not adding numbers to midfield and attack in what's left of the window. 

I agree that a couple of top quality established players would be preferable because we look a bit undercooked at the moment.

Who knows how all of these young players will take to the PL without a backbone of senior winners. 

It’s a worry alright. How will they react after a few bad results? Just look at how we imploded last season with quite a few seasoned seniors. Hopefully the club has some serious plans. 

7 hours ago, paulw66 said:

It's almost impossible we will score less than last season.... That's something to cling on to. 

Not with the current lot it isn’t. 

13 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

It’s a worry alright. How will they react after a few bad results? Just look at how we imploded last season with quite a few seasoned seniors. Hopefully the club has some serious plans. 

Not with the current lot it isn’t. 

I think you answered your own question a bit there .

Look how we imploded with all those seasoned seniors , they didn't hold their ends up at all at the time , when the going got tough they didn't stand up and lead the way they hid.

Edited by Mark Kelly
  • Agree 2