Squad Status: 2023/24 Season

Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Wasn't sure where to put this, but when the Pulisic transfer goes through, the current highest Chelsea league goal scorers in the squad will be Chilwell and Lukaku on 8. James has 7, Sterling 6. 

Just shows how high the turnover has been.

13 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but when the Pulisic transfer goes through, the current highest Chelsea league goal scorers in the squad will be Chilwell and Lukaku on 8. James has 7, Sterling 6. 

Just shows how high the turnover has been.

The good thing is if they never score any goals you don't miss the goals when they leave. 

Imagine Spurs when Kane leaves. 

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

The good thing is if they never score any goals you don't miss the goals when they leave. 

Imagine Spurs when Kane leaves. 

Also means we'll be easily pleased with whoever does score goals for us next season. If someone manages to net 10 league goals next season it'll have a throwback feeling to when Costa used to bag 20 a season. 

Chelsea's 29-man squad to the United States of America for pre-season :

Goalkeepers:
Kepa Arrizabalaga
Gabriel Slonina
Lucas Bergstrom
Eddie Beach
Jamie Cumming

Defenders:
Thiago Silva
Trevoh Chalobah
Ben Chilwell
Marc Cucurella
Malo Gusto
Bashir Humphreys
Levi Colwill
lan Maatsen
Alfie Gilchrist

Midfielders:
Enzo Fernandez
Conor Gallagher
Carney Chukwuemeka
Andrey Santos
Cesare Casadei
Lewis Hall

Forwards:
Mykhailo Mudryk
Raheem Sterling
Noni Madueke
Angelo Gabriel
Diego Moreira
Nicolas Jackson
Christopher Nkunku
Mason Burstow
Dujuan Richards (training only)

Reece James reported feeling unwell this morning so is not travelling as a precaution. He will join up with the squad as soon as he's better.

Wesley Fofana has also not travelled due to a knee injury, which is currently being assessed. Marcus Bettinelli, Benoit Badiashile and Armando Broja will too remain at Cobham as they continue their respective recoveries from injury.

We have only one more midfielder than we do goalkeepers!

Reece delayed as a precaution and Fofana out due to injury… start as they left off and mean to go on!

Seeing that squad, makes me realise, we have a lot of work to do in the market in terms of getting some quality in.

18 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Goalkeepers:
Kepa Arrizabalaga
Gabriel Slonina
Lucas Bergstrom
Eddie Beach
Jamie Cumming

Defenders:
Thiago Silva
Trevoh Chalobah
Ben Chilwell
Marc Cucurella
Malo Gusto
Bashir Humphreys
Levi Colwill
lan Maatsen
Alfie Gilchrist

Midfielders:
Enzo Fernandez
Conor Gallagher
Carney Chukwuemeka
Andrey Santos
Cesare Casadei
Lewis Hall

Forwards:
Mykhailo Mudryk
Raheem Sterling
Noni Madueke
Angelo Gabriel
Diego Moreira
Nicolas Jackson
Christopher Nkunku
Mason Burstow

Reece James reported feeling unwell this morning so is not travelling as a precaution. He will join up with the squad as soon as he's better.

Wesley Fofana has also not travelled due to a knee injury, which is currently being assessed. Marcus Bettinelli, Benoit Badiashile and Armando Broja will too remain at Cobham as they continue their respective recoveries from injury.

Another injury for Fofana, which is why we need Colwill.

When  old man Silva is constantly available for more games than Fofana one has to wonder what exactly Todd Boehly's much heralded US medical were looking at, were they off when they did legs at medical school? 

Also that midfield is frighteningly undercooked which even if we pay over the odds for Caicedo is not filling me with much confidence for the new season. 

I can't help wondering if the sports department are putting all their eggs in a 2026 shaped basket and ignoring our immediate needs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Goalkeepers:
Kepa Arrizabalaga
Gabriel Slonina
Lucas Bergstrom
Eddie Beach
Jamie Cumming

Defenders:
Thiago Silva
Trevoh Chalobah
Ben Chilwell
Marc Cucurella
Malo Gusto
Bashir Humphreys
Levi Colwill
lan Maatsen
Alfie Gilchrist

Midfielders:
Enzo Fernandez
Conor Gallagher
Carney Chukwuemeka
Andrey Santos
Cesare Casadei
Lewis Hall

Forwards:
Mykhailo Mudryk
Raheem Sterling
Noni Madueke
Angelo Gabriel
Diego Moreira
Nicolas Jackson
Christopher Nkunku
Mason Burstow

At least for once there's no deadwood there "to maintain their value". A few youngsters to cover some gaps, many of which will go on loan, but otherwise only maybe 1-2 of that group won't be Chelsea players come September. Very lacking in experience, but experience hasn't served us too well recently. Also, if there aren't any players that would definitely improve the squad that are available at a recent price, why would we sign anyone? Given the number of young winger we've signed recently, I can't see any reason in signing a senior player now to block the pathway. It's almost the same in midfield. We're going to have to put up with youthful exuberance for a while.

• Like 1

OK...trying to make some sense out of the tour squad.

First question...Anjorin and Sarr...not on top of things over here but both are listed on the Chelsea Official site as part of the squad but not travelling...anyone?

Looks as much to be a "bonding" pre season rather than a "system" testing one.

Of the keepers I think only two are serious "squad" members Kepa and the young Slonina, probably # 3 keeper unless out on loan..

The obvious "not wanted on voyage" players apart seems heavy numberof "injured/treatment" seniors at home. Which gives me the "bonding/training" vibes as apart from tactics.

Cautious about panicking over the injured list for a couple of weeks at least although I find it curious that Reece is said to be "unwell" and no follow up on the earlier scan scare (at least not from what I see from afar).

I can't remember looking at a squad photo like the one on the plane and struggling to name easily majority of the squad!..am I alone ?

All the games are available to me on streaming and am now glad I decided not to attempt to travel to any of the venues given the "lightness" of the tour party.

Edited by chara

20 minutes ago, chara said:

OK...trying to make some sense out of the tour squad.

First question...Anjorin and Sarr...not on top of things over here but both are listed on the Chelsea Official site as part of the squad but not travelling...anyone?

Looks as much to be a "bonding" pre season rather than a "system" testing one.

Of the keepers I think only two are serious "squad" members Kepa and the young Slonina, probably # 3 keeper unless out on loan..

The obvious "not wanted on voyage" players apart seems heavy numberof "injured/treatment" seniors at home. Which gives me the "bonding/training" vibes as apart from tactics.

Cautious about panicking over the injured list for a couple of weeks at least although I find it curious that Reece is said to be "unwell" and no follow up on the earlier scan scare (at least not from what I see from afar).

I can't remember looking at a squad photo like the one on the plane and struggling to name easily majority of the squad!..am I alone ?

All the games are available to me on streaming and am now glad I decided not to attempt to travel to any of the venues given the "lightness" of the tour party.

It’s a whole era. 
Time to play The Buggles “aka Trevor Horn”

Our midfield compared to our rivals is scarily light.  We have a lot of work ahead this window to replace the experience we've lost.

I can see us getting bullied by City, Arsenal, United and even Spurs. 

Liverpool will be as light as us if they let Henderson and Fabinho go. 

The sooner we get Caicedo done, the sooner we can work on other targets. 

9 minutes ago, Ham said:

Liverpool will be as light as us if they let Henderson and Fabinho go. 

Eh!
They have already spent £120m on two midfielders 

with Lavia or caicado next on their list. If you believe the rumours 

Edited by ROTG

3 of the 4  alleged new back line are not on poch’s pre season tour and coaching session. 
makes you think the suggest back line most have written about on this forum might not be available on 13-Aug?

2 minutes ago, ROTG said:

3 of the 4  alleged new back line are not on poch’s pre season tour and coaching session. 
makes you think the suggest back line most have written about on this forum might not be available on 13-Aug?

What was the alleged new back line? 

Didn't have Fofana in mine. 

3 minutes ago, chara said:

Data who?.......  But Justifiable Homicide,,,with plenty of evidence!

We are all star trekkin across  the universe 

On the starship Chelsea under captain Todd.. 😀

One has to keep amused sitting hours in airport waiting for a flight to the next parish

17 minutes ago, Bison said:

What does Datro Fofana have to do with our back line? 

So you are saying a £70m CB is not a first 11 player and only a squad player?
I can see your take and guess he is another Cucurella with the added luxury of having a body with the breaking  strain of a wet lettuce. 

Edited by ROTG

6 minutes ago, ROTG said:

So you are saying a £70m CB is not a first 11 player and only a squad player?
I can see your take and guess he is another Cucurella with the added luxury of having a body with the breaking  strain of a wet lettuce. 

I think he's not as good as Badiashile and Colwill and would rather see them play ahead of him because they are better footballers.

So yes, an expensive squad player but it's not his fault we overpaid for him. Same goes for Cucurella. 

1 minute ago, Bison said:

I think he's not as good as Badiashile and Colwill and would rather see them play ahead of him because they are better footballers.

So yes, an expensive squad player but it's not his fault we overpaid for him. Same goes for Cucurella. 

So what you are saying he’s rubbish and not a Chelsea player for the 2030 project. 

4 minutes ago, ROTG said:

So what you are saying he’s rubbish and not a Chelsea player for the 2030 project. 

No, I'm saying he is an OK player *when* healthy but certainly not first choice for me. Is he better than Chalobah? Based on what I saw last season, no. 

11 minutes ago, Bison said:

Absolute tosh.  Recent injury problems don't take away from his ability as a football and he's a very good footballer.

I've noticed that you make your mind up very quickly on a player for one reason or another, take a position and then make stuff up to support that position.