Squad Status: 2023/24 Season

Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Assuming the rumored exits all happen, we are very short in midfield.

Enzo, RLC, Gallagher and Mount, with question marks on 3 of those

SURELY we wouldn't have done this without cast iron guarantees on who we're signing.  SURELY! 

56 minutes ago, Ham said:

SURELY we wouldn't have done this without cast iron guarantees on who we're signing.  SURELY! 

Didn't someone mention something about big things happening once the outgoings were sorted?  Simon Phillips maybe? 

2 hours ago, Ham said:

Sure, I don't expect for a minute we're not buying anyone but at this moment, that is the clear area with gaping holes. 

3 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Assuming Azpilicueta gets released who do we see as becoming the next club captain? Obviously (very) short term we have Silva but the language thing would be a barrier.

Silva for the immediate future. 

Longer term there's not really anyone that stands out as a bonafide candidate, I'd have to wait and see if a candidate really shows themselves over this season. 

36 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Assuming Azpilicueta gets released who do we see as becoming the next club captain? Obviously (very) short term we have Silva but the language thing would be a barrier.

Silva speaks Portuguese, Italian and French fluently, has enough grasp of English for a changing room (he prefers doing interviews in his native tongue, but he's been here long enough to get his point across to team mates) and also speaks a bit of Spanish. I think he'll be OK communicating with multi-national squad 😉

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

Presumably he won't be playing in every game though.

As long as Kepa isn't chosen.  Don't think goalkeepers make the best captains (sorry @chara

1 hour ago, JaneB said:

Presumably he won't be playing in every game though.

As long as Kepa isn't chosen.  Don't think goalkeepers make the best captains (sorry @chara

Agree absolutely Jane.... the somewhat overblown reports at the weekend of TC being "snubbed" regarding being made captain of Belgium for a one off purely nominal appointment has no bearing on your point or perhaps proves the point!...keepers have enough to do being captain of the goal area and environs (ideally!) without providing leadership from a relatively static position...top keepers fall into the leader category ,,PC ,SFL, DD etc and compliment the natural captain,,JT of course..same principle any era or club.

Wonder if Chelsea should start a new trend and appoint a "coin toss" associate responsible for the end choice, flag swap and handshakes all round?...anyone suggest a title?😁..Todd...are you listening?

3 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Silva speaks Portuguese, Italian and French fluently, has enough grasp of English for a changing room (he prefers doing interviews in his native tongue, but he's been here long enough to get his point across to team mates) and also speaks a bit of Spanish. I think he'll be OK communicating with multi-national squad 😉

Ideally though we WILL require a "figurehead" for media duties. Anyone know what sort of attitude Pochettino has for his captains?

11 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Ideally though we WILL require a "figurehead" for media duties. Anyone know what sort of attitude Pochettino has for his captains?

Given the tabloid media tend to make stuff up all the time, I can't see what difference the language our "figurehead" uses anyway.

Not many great candidates based on what we currently have, but I’d be giving it to James myself. He’s Chelsea through and through, will play whenever fit, speaks well in the media, leads by example on the pitch and getting more and more vocal each season. He can be a bit hot headed, but I think he’d flourish in the role.

I also want to be able to say I told you so, as I said he’d be a future Chelsea captain when he was on loan at Wigan.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

If someone told me a month ago, that Kante would be out the door, with Mendy, Ziyech, Kovacic, Havertz and Koulibaly (as good as)  by the 3rd week of June I would have said they were crazy!! 

Add to that, Ben Jacobs and Fab Romero both reporting this evening that Mount’s people have confirmed to CFC that he wants to join United and therefore we are only working on a sale at this stage.  Furthermore, reports of Azpi being told he can go, AC Milan being back in for RLC and Chalobah being lined up by Inter for a loan with obligation deal!! 

And all of this is before Lukaku and Aubameyang who will both surely not be around either 🤯🤯

This is honestly a staggering exodus of players and if it continues to progress as reports are suggesting, the Directors deserve a lot of credit.  That is a lot of deadwood off the books.  I wouldn’t have sold Mount and Havertz ideally, but if neither are going to extend, the best you can do is get good fees for them, and this looks to be the case. 

I’ve a feeling there’ll be even more to follow too - eg Ampadu, Maatsen, Sarr, Hudson-Odoi which I can only see followed by another fairly aggressive spending spree. 

A GK, MF x2, Attacker x2 etc 

I just hope that Poch takes a really good look at the likes of Hall, Colwill, Broja, Gallagher etc because it’ll be a shame to lose some of the academy lads (eg Mount, Trev, RLC and CHO potentially all linked elsewhere) and with Tomori and Tammy already gone, it’s could be an end of an era with that group

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rob B said:

If someone told me a month ago, that Kante would be out the door, with Mendy, Ziyech, Kovacic, Havertz and Koulibaly (as good as)  by the 3rd week of June I would have said they were crazy!! 

Add to that, Ben Jacobs and Fab Romero both reporting this evening that Mount’s people have confirmed to CFC that he wants to join United and therefore we are only working on a sale at this stage.  Furthermore, reports of Azpi being told he can go, AC Milan being back in for RLC and Chalobah being lined up by Inter for a loan with obligation deal!! 

And all of this is before Lukaku and Aubameyang who will both surely not be around either 🤯🤯

This is honestly a staggering exodus of players and if it continues to progress as reports are suggesting, the Directors deserve a lot of credit.  That is a lot of deadwood off the books.  I wouldn’t have sold Mount and Havertz ideally, but if neither are going to extend, the best you can do is get good fees for them, and this looks to be the case. 

I’ve a feeling there’ll be even more to follow too - eg Ampadu, Maatsen, Sarr, Hudson-Odoi which I can only see followed by another fairly aggressive spending spree. 

A GK, MF x2, Attacker x2 etc 

I just hope that Poch takes a really good look at the likes of Hall, Colwill, Broja, Gallagher etc because it’ll be a shame to lose some of the academy lads (eg Mount, Trev, RLC and CHO potentially all linked elsewhere) and with Tomori and Tammy already gone, it’s could be an end of an era with that group

I'm of the opinion we should keep Gallagher and Colwill in the side for next season, both I think can play useful roles for us. In Gallaghers case, while a bit rough technically, the rest of his game lends itself to Poch's type of football. The fact he's also wants to be here and fight only reaffirms what I'd keep him. I'd use him as a backup to Nkunku in that #10 role, where if we need a bit more run and energy he can slot in at the #10 and drop back into midfield to form a three when needed. Plus Nkunku's flexible enough to move out to the left or upfront should we want to have both in the same side together. 

Broja I'd be selling, although probably harder to do when returning from injury. He ain't it as far as I'm concerned and miles away from being good enough even at Southampton the other year. A loan is probably best for all given he simply needs regular football at this point. I'd also explore a loan for Hall, either one to start the season with where we have an option in January to recall if needed, or keep him for the first half of the season and if he's not getting enough of a look send him out in January for the second half of the year. 

2 hours ago, xceleryx said:

I'd use him as a backup to Nkunku in that #10 role, where if we need a bit more run and energy he can slot in at the #10 and drop back into midfield to form a three when needed. Plus Nkunku's flexible enough to move out to the left or upfront should we want to have both in the same side together. 

You seem to be putting a lot of eggs in one basket - good on yer

20 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Shouldn't a captain be able to do TV/radio-interviews in English

2 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

Shouldn't a captain be able to do TV/radio-interviews in English

Should not be a problem, don't think the club are on Sky or MoTD premium list of match coverage for next season 😃

• Haha 1