Squad Status: 2023/24 Season

Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

On 30/06/2023 at 14:07, Sleeping Dave said:

James       Fofana         Badiashile       Chilwell

Games played in the PL last season 

left to right 16, 15, 11, 23

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think you answered your own question a bit there .

Look how we imploded with all those seasoned seniors , they didn't hold their ends up at all at the time , when the going got tough they didn't stand up and lead the way they hid.

My point exactly. How bad can it be with a group of youngsters who lack both quality and experience? 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Games played in the PL last season 

left to right 16, 15, 11, 23

Ok. But those are the four we have. Unless you expect Thiago Silva, who will be nearly 40 towards the end of the season, can carry our defense? 

19 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Ok. But those are the four we have. Unless you expect Thiago Silva, who will be nearly 40 towards the end of the season, can carry our defense? 

It was to highlight the of amount of matches played last season due to there unavailability for most of the other matches many due to injury.

5 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Havertz, Mount, Ziyech, Kovacic, Kante, Pulisic, PEA, Azpi, RLC.........contributed 13 league goals last season.

I don't think it is beyond the whit of man or hope that those 13 can more than be made up by Nkunku and Jackson alone. 

Well… I do think it is. Hope yes. But that’s pretty much all it is at the moment. Jackson has had six months worth of a senior career in La Liga. Nkunku has performed in Germany. When was the last time a top PL club bought a successful attacker from Bundesliga?

I hope Jackson and Nkunku will score more than 13 goals between them. But that is all it is, hope. If I had to place a bet on it I’d bet they’d score less than 13 goals.  

11 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Well… I do think it is. Hope yes. But that’s pretty much all it is at the moment. Jackson has had six months worth of a senior career in La Liga. Nkunku has performed in Germany. When was the last time a top PL club bought a successful attacker from Bundesliga?

I hope Jackson and Nkunku will score more than 13 goals between them. But that is all it is, hope. If I had to place a bet on it I’d bet they’d score less than 13 goals.  

Bit pedantic Dave and I agree with the spirit of the post but ...err,,,maybe Citeh last season got someone who scored a goal or tw0?

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Ok.....my broader point was in reply to you being concerned that the current lot of attackers are weaker than what we had last season. I pointed out that the current departed players, plus impending departures, contributed just 13 league goals.

It will not take much for a combination of Jackson, Nkunku, the added minutes for Mudryk / Madueke, or any of the January signings, and or any of the other players who will take the minutes played by those who are leaving to make up, or improve upon the 13 goals we are losing.

Even if Jackson and Nkunku turn out to get 5 each, we'd only need more than 3 between the others to exceed last year's contributions. 

17 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

When was the last time a top PL club bought a successful attacker from Bundesliga?

Haaland, de Bruyne, Gundogan, Dzeko, Sane, Firmino, Aubamayang (Arsenal), Son.......

Our picks haven't done well, but that's not to say others haven't. Not that is entirely relevant. The success or not of Nkunku is entirely independent of any previous transfer 

On 04/07/2023 at 00:49, chara said:

Bit pedantic Dave and I agree with the spirit of the post but ...err,,,maybe Citeh last season got someone who scored a goal or tw0?

sleeping Dave? slept through last season obviously

On 03/07/2023 at 19:39, ROTG said:

Not if he had played for Chelsea 

I’ll get my coat 

It's a distinct possibility.He would be starved of service and would be making runs without any chance of getting set up in scoring positions.

From the 2021 CL final squad 

Mendy

Azpi

Silva

Rudiger

James

Chilwell

Jorginho

Kante

Mount 

Havertz

Werner

Subs : Kepa, Emerson, Alonso, Zouma, Christensen, Kovacic, Gilmour, Ziyech, Pulisic, Abraham, CHO, Giroud

23 man squad. 7 remain, of which 3 (in italics) are likely to be gone soon, and Silva surely on his last year. 

25 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

From the 2021 CL final squad 

Mendy

Azpi

Silva

Rudiger

James

Chilwell

Jorginho

Kante

Mount 

Havertz

Werner

Subs : Kepa, Emerson, Alonso, Zouma, Christensen, Kovacic, Gilmour, Ziyech, Pulisic, Abraham, CHO, Giroud

23 man squad. 7 remain, of which 3 (in italics) are likely to be gone soon, and Silva surely on his last year. 

Makes my Avatar somewhat outdated. 

On 05/07/2023 at 06:21, xceleryx said:

Those training kits are super nice.

Also, looks like Bruno is still part of the coaching staff for anyone interested. He was in a couple videos welcoming the players back. 

The official ones from the Megastore are way to expensive for my liking. The ones at The Shed FB can't be the genuine ones?

1 minute ago, asvaberg said:

The official ones from the Megastore are way to expensive for my liking. The ones at The Shed FB can't be the genuine ones?

No idea, you'd have to ask @Ham. I don't really use FB in general or am familiar with The Shed to comment on quality.

4 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

No idea, you'd have to ask @Ham. I don't really use FB in general or am familiar with The Shed to comment on quality.

I will. ', cause the item itself looks stunning and would suit my orienteering-running this Autumn

56 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

I'll let you know.  Ordered something today 👍

• Thanks 1