• Before the quarter finals
  3. 3. League Cup

• Winners!
    • Runners up
    • Semi Finalists
    • Quarter Finalists
    • Before the quarter finals

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/09/23 at 11:00

• 2 months later...

I think I said top 6 and semifinals in both. I really don't mind if I underestimated in the league cup and there is a long way to go in the others. Stick rather than twist.

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/09/2023 at 16:56, Ham said:

I'm boring myself making this point over and over. 

Boring and blatantly never true. Making such a statement one month in was foolish. 

halfway through there are 13 teams that have conceded less than us. Arguably, the only defence that are clearly worse than ours is Burnley and Sheffield United. Luton has only conceded one goal more than us 🤘

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Boring and blatantly never true. Making such a statement one month in was foolish. 

halfway through there are 13 teams that have conceded less than us. Arguably, the only defence that are clearly worse than ours is Burnley and Sheffield United. Luton has only conceded one goal more than us 🤘

Well it definitely was true at the point of posting FFS. Weird that you would go back and call me a liar in retrospect. 

17 hours ago, bertles86 said:

We've still got to play Citeh, Spurs, Toon, Arsenal, Utd and Villa. Half of those away.

Realistically we'll finish 12th.

Isn't that true for most (all) teams, seeing as we are just over halfway? 

4 hours ago, Ham said:

Well it definitely was true at the point of posting FFS. Weird that you would go back and call me a liar in retrospect. 

Not a liar, but to make such bald statement that early and then be up in arms over people disagreeing with you is just foolish. 

It’s blatantly clear that we are nowhere near top 3 in any meaningful metric. We have a promising squad but sadly with too many gaping holes in it. For me the worrying sign is all that money being spent and we are only marginally better than last season. 

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Not a liar, but to make such bald statement that early and then be up in arms over people disagreeing with you is just foolish. 

It’s blatantly clear that we are nowhere near top 3 in any meaningful metric. We have a promising squad but sadly with too many gaping holes in it. For me the worrying sign is all that money being spent and we are only marginally better than last season. 

For a long time up until the date of my agreeing with Paul, we hadn't been at all bad at the back but were losing and drawing games because we weren't talking our chances. 

We were top 3 in XG and also top 3 in least goals conceded.  We knew where the problem was at that time. 

Those are facts. 

I'm "up in arms" because you're choosing a comment from September 2023 and calling me "foolish" and a liar "blatantly never true" because we are, for whatever reason, conceding goals. 

A bit of a dick move from you actually Dave. 

5 hours ago, Ham said:

For a long time up until the date of my agreeing with Paul, we hadn't been at all bad at the back but were losing and drawing games because we weren't talking our chances. 

We were top 3 in XG and also top 3 in least goals conceded.  We knew where the problem was at that time. 

Those are facts. 

I'm "up in arms" because you're choosing a comment from September 2023 and calling me "foolish" and a liar "blatantly never true" because we are, for whatever reason, conceding goals. 

A bit of a dick move from you actually Dave. 

I meant you were up in arms back in September when people disagreed with you. Whether we were or weren’t the third “best” defence at that early stage is somewhat irrelevant. That was my point. We had played six league games against teams we largely would he expected to win against. 

I repeat, at no stage this season have we genuinely looked like a top side over a decent time period. We’ve shown glimpses here and there, but those periods have been all too short and sporadic. 

It now seems we are back in a free fall. 2-4 at home to Wolves. Yikes. 

Edited by Sleeping Dave

• 4 weeks later...

33 people thought we would finish between 1st-6th.

1 person thought we would finish 7th-12th.

Lots of debate about who's fault it is but it's this rationale that makes me question why some still lay most of the blame at the players.

If so many people thought we had the squad to finish inside the top 6 is it just that everyone was so wrong or is it maybe not their fault?

Can't be blaming the board this time,  as a forum 97% of us, with this squad,  expected a top 6 finish and nearly half expected top 4.

6 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Lots of debate about who's fault it is but it's this rationale that makes me question why some still lay most of the blame at the players.

If so many people thought we had the squad to finish inside the top 6 is it just that everyone was so wrong or is it maybe not their fault?

Can't be blaming the board this time,  as a forum 97% of us, with this squad,  expected a top 6 finish and nearly half expected top 4.

If memory serves me, After CL win and with the recruitment that summer, TT team were one of the favorites to win the league and look how that turned out?

If the squad gets 54pts at the end of the season, Mr. Poch has worked wonders, given he had no input into a squad put together by a couple of lazy scouts and owners on Ego trips.

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:

A lot of people would have voted during pre-season, before the closure of the transfer window and prior to long term injuries to a number of players including RJ, Nkunku and Chilwell.

It's difficult to quantify the impact of the loss of main players. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Ham said:

4X more than Klopp's Kidz? 

That can't be right. 

I checked it (I know, I should get a life). We only have three teenagers at present (Big Les 267', Moreira 9' and Washington 0'). They have played 276' in the prem, according to Transfermarkt. There were three others who at the start of the season were 19, Alfie (15'), Carney (168') and Lavia (32'). I make that 491'. Maybe the stat shown is out of date. Anyway, the lack of game time is fairly unsurprising, given the injuries and loans. Lavia and Carney have only been available for 2 and 7 games, respectively. Big Les has been out since game 13. Alfie and Washington have been playing U23, and Moreira was out on loan. LFC is an older squad. Our average age is 23.5 (including Silva), and theirs is 25.6. They have roughly the same number of 19s and 20s. However, they have not had large numbers of absences until game week 24 and then only to a few key players (Allison, Salah, Matip, Thiago) and usually where they have older players as backup. The whole injury crisis thing at LFC is fake.