UEFA Champions League 2023/24

JaneB

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Galatasaray beating Manchester United gave me so much joy. Turkish teams usually let me down (especially the embarrassing National Team) but that was a solid well deserved victory, they looked like they belong on the stage, when usually the gulf in quality is apparent. 

Maybe it says more about United though. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, east lower said:

On top of us beating Spuds, now my new third in the disliked list are getting done 2-0 by Dortmund.

Happy week so far, just need the mickey’s to lose on Thursday and it’s been a perfect 4 days.

Every Thursday night they have to play is a bonus for me.  Shame they aren't on Channel 4.

14 hours ago, Dwmh said:

Every Thursday night they have to play is a bonus for me.  Shame they aren't on Channel 4.

If they don't get any more wins they might just end up missing the Europa League spot for third - Which makes the much heralded crowing that was going on after their beating of PSG in the first group stage game that much more ironic.

It's just a shame that there's the absolutely pointless international break between the Man City game on Sunday and our next league match, which is with them - Gives them a chance to get some of the injured players fit again.

With lots of discussion about players playing too many games, the internationals are an area where the workload could easily be reduced - Playing elite level footballers against teams of part-time players from Liechtenstein, San Marino,  Gibraltar, Malta, Andorra etc is madness. I'd make the bottom ranked 20-30 teams in Europe play in Qualifying Leagues where the winners of their respective league of 4-6 teams then qualify for the proper Euro Championship qualifying = 2-4 less games for the elite players and 1 less international break. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, east lower said:

With lots of discussion about players playing too many games, the internationals are an area where the workload could easily be reduced - Playing elite level footballers against teams of part-time players from Liechtenstein, San Marino,  Gibraltar, Malta, Andorra etc is madness. I'd make the bottom ranked 20-30 teams in Europe play in Qualifying Leagues where the winners of their respective league of 4-6 teams then qualify for the proper Euro Championship qualifying = 2-4 less games for the elite players and 1 less international break. 

It is the voting system for FIFA and UEFA and corruption that does it.  Bribe the tiny clubs with direct entry to competition with England and Brazil etc and they will appoint the most corrupt FIFA reps.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

It is the voting system for FIFA and UEFA and corruption that does it.  Bribe the tiny clubs with direct entry to competition with England and Brazil etc and they will appoint the most corrupt FIFA reps.

Absolutely, it’s the authorities who are the causation. 

A Brazil vote counts the same as an Andorra one!

1 minute ago, east lower said:

Absolutely, it’s the authorities who are the causation. 

A Brazil vote counts the same as an Andorra one!

Britain gets 4 vote mind!  And we are the only big non-Local country to play a friendly in Jack Warner's Trinidad and Tobago without hosting the WC just before or just after  (we were trying though, just didn't bribe enough).

5 hours ago, Dwmh said:

Britain gets 4 vote mind!  And we are the only big non-Local country to play a friendly in Jack Warner's Trinidad and Tobago without hosting the WC just before or just after  (we were trying though, just didn't bribe enough).

Only useful when bidding for a ‘shared’ bid for a Euro’s or World-Cup. All other times normal-service of disliking the English exists.

Did that rogue ever go to jail or was he allowed to vanish into the Caribbean ether, and take his ledger with him? Jack Warner. more like Jack Sparrow! 🤥 😉

• Haha 1

On 07/11/2023 at 20:26, east lower said:

On top of us beating Spuds, now my new third in the disliked list are getting done 2-0 by Dortmund.

Happy week so far, just need the mickey’s to lose on Thursday and it’s been a perfect 4 days.

Pardon my ignorance, but what team is mickey?

39 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what team is mickey?

Cockney rhyming slang - Micky Mousers = Scousers.

I forget that we have some younger and other people on here that will not be aware of the wonderful colloquial names that exist - apologies 👍

• Thanks 1