Official: Chelsea sign Moises Caicedo on 8 Year Contract

JaneB

• JaneB changed the title to Official: Chelsea sign Moises Caicedo on 8 year Contract

Welcome Moises Caicedo! May the force be with you and pretty, pretty please, with sugar on top, don’t be a fucking flop. That would ruin the 8 year ridicule we can send Liverpools way. 

What number will he take? Apparently an idol of his was Claude Makelele. Number 4 is available… Other notable available numbers are 9 (not a Sidwe repeat pls!), 12, 22 and 25. My money is on number 4 with number 25 being my second guess. 

Not officially retired, just not reissued. Personally, I’d prefer to see shirts earned rather than issued. Let him play for a year or two at number 62 or whatever, then he gets the shirt number of his aspirations if he’s earned it.

8 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Big ups for this being official. 

Sure, it's an overpay, but I honestly don't even care given our need, and the bonus of seeing Liverpool fans go into melt down. 

Welcome Caicedo, please dominate for years to come. 

Oh but it gets better 🤭

Got there in the end! 

As MT said, the fee is a big one but i doubt anyone will care if he has a good 5-6 years with us. Credit to the lad for showing some principles and dignity when that Liverpool bid came in, most players would have jumped at that point. Guessing his Mum really instilled some values in him. We may have finally paid top dollar for the person as well as the player.

This is a really exciting signing - feels like we’ve got a plan for the first time in forever and we’re trying to build a side that can compete long term. 

Happy for him to take #4 and leave Gianfranco’s 25 free though 😁

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spawton said:

He's taking 25 according to his agency on Instagram. They acknowledged the 25 was a legendary number. He better do it justice!

13 hours ago, Ham said:

Felt sure that shirt was officially retired. 

13 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Not sure how I feel about that to be honest. 

Zola left 20 years ago. Wouldn't bother me.

26 has been used post Terry, and 8 has been used post Lampard, and those two sit in spots 1, 2 for me, in whatever order. 

Edit- I also think retiring a shirt number is a bit naff. 

Edited by paulw66
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Zola left 20 years ago. Wouldn't bother me.

26 has been used post Terry, and 8 has been used post Lampard, and those two sit in spots 1, 2 for me, in whatever order. 

Edit- I also think retiring a shirt number is a bit naff. 

I think I agree with this. It was a nice symbol for 20 years, now let's move on.

The Shed Wall and statues are the best ways to immortalise legends. 

• Agree 1

I loved Zola as a player, but did his 25 shirt deserve to be permanently "retired" over and above Terry's 26 (which clearly hasn't been retired), Lampard's 8, Drogba's 11, Cech's 1, Hazard's 10?

As @paulw66 said, it's been 20 years since the little maestro left. I think that gap in no-one using the number is a suitable 'honour' in itself. 

• Agree 3

An insane and obscene fee for a player who is little more than a very good athletic spoiler of a footballer. Just 2 years ago,  for this kind of price you'd get a genuine elite striker who'd win big games against the big teams and bang in 25 + goals a season or a midfielder who creates and scores goals for fun. Those are the level of players where huge money should be spent on  and by  stretch of the  imagination Caicedo is nowhere near that level of player.

• Agree 1