Chelsea 3 Luton Town 0

JaneB

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Luton Town at Stamford Bridge before, during and after the game.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 20:00 hours on Friday, 25th August 2023 (Local UK time/date) (Live on Sky Sports)

44 minutes ago, Ham said:

Enough to comfortably beat Luton.

Screenshot_20230821_165032_CFC-Bluescom.thumb.jpg.95cea6805fc8be686bff02d924fd5644.jpg

If Caicedo and Lavia have trained well enough - and clearly neither had for Sunday, given no Lavia in the squad and a very under-cooked display from Caicedo - then my only slight tweak would be Maatsen over Mudryk given how Maatsen and Jackson seemed to be on the same wavelength in pre-season. (Maatsen's contract also has less than a year to run, so a few starts might also make him more amenable to signing a new contract, should one hopefully be offered)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ham said:

Enough to comfortably beat Luton.

Screenshot_20230821_165032_CFC-Bluescom.thumb.jpg.95cea6805fc8be686bff02d924fd5644.jpg

You would play Disasi?? - he's a Disas -  ter and if Poch plays him I would have to question Poch's sanity...and yours.

And if people think we have a lack of options I will squeam and squeam and squeam until I get my way.

6 hours ago, kev61 said:

You would play Disasi?? - he's a Disas -  ter and if Poch plays him I would have to question Poch's sanity...and yours.

And if people think we have a lack of options I will squeam and squeam and squeam until I get my way.

Yeah. Whilst Silva is an incredible player I worry that he can't possibly start every game at 38. We need more young legs game ready at CB. 

He was unlucky v Antonio as he tracked him well and the shot, which could easily j have been blocked, went through his legs. 

• Agree 1

I'd continue with Disasi because it is very hard to assess players without giving them a run of games. Also, Badiashile and Chalobah may be on their way back but won't be available for a couple of weeks yet. I think Silva can play one game per week. 

We're going to face a side wanting us to break them down , with one man up front and runners breaking when able , it is imperative that we do not give away cheap corners and free kicks that can avail them of opportunities to score that they haven't worked for . We must also be coming up with some kind of defensive plan , where someone is actually organising them and they are marking players and not space.  None of this is rocket-science.

Of all our defenders the one who annoyed me most was Silva , you would think there would be a modicum of leadership and martialling of his troops last time out but there was nothing on show which I found disappointing . 

Ben Roberts needs to be shouting MOVE YOUR FEET! by megaphone into the face of Sanchez for the week until he gets the message., another one who looked like he'd just woken up.

• Haha 1

On 21/08/2023 at 17:41, Bob Singleton said:

If Caicedo and Lavia have trained well enough - and clearly neither had for Sunday, given no Lavia in the squad and a very under-cooked display from Caicedo - then my only slight tweak would be Maatsen over Mudryk given how Maatsen and Jackson seemed to be on the same wavelength in pre-season. (Maatsen's contract also has less than a year to run, so a few starts might also make him more amenable to signing a new contract, should one hopefully be offered)

A lot of sense talked there Bob.Maatsen looked excellent in pre-season.No idea why he hasn't featured in our last two games.

He looks a very versatile  player - so yes it wouldn't take much for him to be an improvement on Mudryk at the moment.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Mudryk looks like a terrible buy at the moment. Best part of £90m. The type of purchase that is reminiscent of an elderly relative with dementia who bought 7 vacuum cleaners.

£62m or so guaranteed - the rest of it comes in the form of bonuses.

Don't get the media con you into thinking we've actually forked out £90m of guaranteed money upfront. 

But yeah, he's rough but we've known that from the beginning. Still early days yet though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

£62m or so guaranteed - the rest of it comes in the form of bonuses.

Don't get the media con you into thinking we've actually forked out £90m of guaranteed money upfront. 

But yeah, he's rough but we've known that from the beginning. Still early days yet though.

£62m without a decimal point looks exorbitant at this stage my vegetable-monikered friend.

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

6 is never quite enough though.

Sadly, I have to admit owning 5. The upstairs one, the downstairs one, the robot, the car one, and one designed to vacuum the inside of computers and electronic devices.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1