Chelsea 3 Luton Town 0

JaneB

23 hours ago, Ham said:

No way we're playing 5 at the back against Luton at home. 

Didn't you get the memo, Chilly is a left winger now! I'm waiting for tomorrow where Poch tries to fob off a CM in place of Carny; if something different happens we'll see Maatsen playing down the left in Chilly's role, and even he is still an attacking left back who's able to play further forward.

We are seriously light on attackers in the squad, right now Jackson and Sterling are the only players who I can say I'd trust in attack; and Sterling is only there because we have no one else. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think we'd have been better off bringing in defenders and attackers before tackling the middle of the park, it was an area that yes had issues but nothing compared to CB, AM/WG, CF.

18 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

I think we’re on a hiding to nothing - win and “it’s only Luton” but I do think it’s a very important match (relegation six-pointer 🤣🤪😬) for confidence. A solid win could be a springboard. I do think we need to revert to a back four though. 

Agree we need to go to a back 4, now Caicedo is here I don’t see the need to go with a back 3. 

I do think, we can use this match to reset, get the West Ham result out the system and get our first win of the season and I really hope some goals for Jackson, he deserves a few goals after his start to the season.

• Agree 1

Luton will probably play with three at the back as that's how the lined up against Brighton in their only game to date. Commonsense would dictate we revert back to a 4-2-3-1 with Caicedo starting. If however the manager stays with a back three then maybe we need to begin worrying about what we've got ourselves into with Pochettino. On paper this is the easiest game of the season, in reality if we don't win it then we will probably deserve it as luck shouldn't be an issue. Fingers crossed no injuries and that we get a hat full of goals.

I don't know exactly how the midfield will be arranged, but I expect the team will be something like this:

Sanchez

Gusto Silva Colwill Chilwell

Enzo Caicedo

Madueke Gallagher Sterling

Jackson

It could be a different shape in midfield, with Gallagher and Enzo playing next to each other ahead of Caicedo, but I think this shape is better as it allows Enzo to be more involved in the build-up.

If you imagine this team with a better GK, a pacier alternative to Silva, a fit Reece James and Nkunku at no.10 it starts to look like a top 4 team. But not yet...

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Raheem Sterling: Chelsea forward hints at return to his best - BBC Sport

All very nice Raheem but when this "improvement" results in goals instead of you running full tilt into a brick wall or crossing the ball into an empty penalty box I'll be the first to applaud.

Exactly.  He's basically Gronkjaer at this point. Just runs in his pigeony way at defenders and does sweet FA.

• Haha 1