JaneB

Matchday prediction  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Brighton win

6 hours ago, Dwmh said:

No - another reason to wonder how Poch got employed after being out of a job for 24 of the last 42 months.
It isn't as though the clamp down on dissent wasn't clearly announced in advance.
He isn't managing the team.

And who would've you hired to develop this team out of sheer curiosity? 

9 hours ago, xceleryx said:

And who would've you hired to develop this team out of sheer curiosity? 

Oh sure we were Fxxxed for a manager.  As we already were in most respects.
I'm not sure we could get a better one.  That is the point*.  He is at least better than Lampard, but not Potter.
I'm not sure what tipped us from being a 74 point team last year to a 44 point one (though a player revolt seems part of it, if not the root cause).
But once on that kind of vertiginous slide it is near impossible to reverse it.  That is the nature of football.

Best hope is a dead cat bounce at some point.

* I am just wondering.  We have hired otherwise unemployed managers before, Lampard, Benitez, Hiddink I guess.  But only as temps.
Did we ever hire a currently unemployed manager under RA to announce him as permanent?
I think we have always poached men in place.

56 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

I'm not sure we could get a better one.  That is the point*.  He is at least better than Lampard, but not Potter.
I'm not sure what tipped us from being a 74 point team last year to a 44 point one (though a player revolt seems part of it, if not the root cause).
But once on that kind of vertiginous slide it is near impossible to reverse it.  That is the nature of football.

* I am just wondering.  We have hired otherwise unemployed managers before, Lampard, Benitez, Hiddink I guess.  But only as temps.
Did we ever hire a currently unemployed manager under RA to announce him as permanent?

At this moment in time I think we should just be grateful the name of Roberto Martinez hasn't come up

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Dwmh said:

Tuchel was unemployed when we got him in and he did alright.

3 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Tuchel was unemployed when we got him in and he did alright.

Aha , I missed that, but it was only 4 weeks after he was sacked.  
The kind of timing that might have seen us approach him (or his agent approach us) before PSG grabbed the superior position by sacking him.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dwmh said:

So you agree alternative, if not better options, were slim to nil. 

I get it, you don't rate Poch but claiming he's a worse manager than Potter is preposterous. Whether you choose to gauge it via the eye test, or through sheer numbers, Pochettino comes out ahead. There's no real world where Potter is a better manager, no matter how much you try and push that narrative. 

What tipped us from being a 74 point team in 2021/22 to a 44 point one in 2022/23 is quite simple. Injuries to key players, some hitting a natural decline, others continuing to be inconsistent, and hiring Potter - a manager who was entirely out of his depth the moment in stepped through the door and was getting by earning 1.28 Points Per Match across his Brighton stint. Who, I might add, also had a problem with getting his team to score goals. His sides perpetually sat at the depths of the goalscoring table. Taking that across to aside that was struggling in attack already, it was never going to mesh well - and it didn't. 

Does it really matter if we've hired from the unemployed pool before?

Doesn’t matter who we have in charge, which is why I was skeptical about firing Potter last season. Who is available and would they seriously make a big improvement? We need experienced quality in this team, something these clueless owners don’t grasp, they think it’s the NFL. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bones said:

I guess both Poch and Potter (and perhaps Lamps)

Lamps came back because he can’t say no to Chelsea in my opinion, listening to him since he left it’s clear that he didn’t quite realise the shambles he was walking in to. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, xceleryx said:

What tipped us from being a 74 point team in 2021/22 to a 44 point one in 2022/23 is quite simple. Injuries to key players, some hitting a natural decline, others continuing to be inconsistent, and hiring Potter - a manager who was entirely out of his depth the moment in stepped through the door and was getting by earning 1.28 Points Per Match across his Brighton stint. Who, I might add, also had a problem with getting his team to score goals. His sides perpetually sat at the depths of the goalscoring table. Taking that across to aside that was struggling in attack already, it was never going to mesh well - and it didn't. 

Agree with about Potter however you always dodge the recruitment part, January was a Joke and ultimately killed off the poor season

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

Lamps came back because he can’t say no to Chelsea in my opinion, listening to him since he left it’s clear that he didn’t quite realise the shambles he was walking in to. 

Lampard came back because upper management didn't have a plan B, like most things at the bunker club, the owners shot from the hip without thinking of the consequences. 

Potter might as well have been left in place until the summer as the damage was already done.

9 hours ago, xceleryx said:

I get it, you don't rate Poch but claiming he's a worse manager than Potter is preposterous. Whether you choose to gauge it via the eye test, or through sheer numbers, Pochettino comes out ahead. There's no real world where Potter is a better manager, no matter how much you try and push that narrative. 

Potter       PL  W10 D8 L10   38 points in 28 games   (1.36pts a game)   + reached the QF stage of CL with a record of  W5 D1 L1 (even the loss was overturned in 2nd leg
Potterino  
PL  W4   D4 L5       16 points in  13 games  (1.23pts a game)

eye test, numbers

I accept Potter's sacking saved him from 2 inevitable RM defeats.  But it also lead to Lampard PL W1 D2 L6

Potter is a better manager than Potterino.  The issue is not that we need to change Potterino.  The issue is that crap recruitment at all levels and a deliberate avoidance of experienced players caused a collapse which we are unable to get out of except through lots more £100m players.

On 30/11/2023 at 11:23, Dwmh said:

With a mixed record. Roman's permanent appointments:

JM - success

Grant - very close to being a success but lasted less than a year

Scolari - awful

Carlo - success

AVB - awful

RdM - didn't last long after interim success

JM - success

Conte - 50/50. Great first year, terrible second 

Sarri - not going to get into another discussion, but he finished 3rd and won the Europa

Lampard - did well when there was no money / expectation, then out of his depth

Tuchel - success 

14 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

With a mixed record. Roman's permanent appointments:

JM - success

Grant - very close to being a success but lasted less than a year

Scolari - awful

Carlo - success

AVB - awful

RdM - didn't last long after interim success

JM - success

Conte - 50/50. Great first year, terrible second 

Sarri - not going to get into another discussion, but he finished 3rd and won the Europa

Lampard - did well when there was no money / expectation, then out of his depth

Tuchel - success 

I was a loud proclaimer at the time that Grant was always a supply teacher, not permanent.  Indeed with JM threatening to fly off the handle weekly, that was the purpose he was brought in for, the little yellow replacement tyre some have in their car.  The difference between him and Hiddink was that Hiddink didn't need bigging up to the players.

Lampard aside I mostly agree with your assessments. 

Brighton have a lot of injuries. If we lose, I think Poch is a dead man walking. After the double training sessions and Brighton playing on Thursday - a bad performance and I won’t believe Poch can get a tune out of these players any more. He may be the most qualified but he also may not be the right man to get the best out of our squad right now. A big win is also possible and could also say a lot for Poch. We should be expecting to win.