My Blood Is Blue

Matchday prediction  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Preston North End win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/01/24 at 16:30

Given a) our need for more good results and b) the Cups being our only chance of anything to shout about this year, I think Poch has to be a strong XI for this one. 

I'd go: 

Petrovic

Gusto Disasi Badiashile Colwill 

Gallagher Caicedo 

Madueke Nkunku Mudryk 

Broja 

Bench: 

Gilchrist, Sterling, Palmer, Bettinelli, Castledine, Washington

Big Les? Lavia? Enzo? Maatsen? Chilwell? Carney? Who bloody knows tbh 

Nkunku needs more minutes for fitness (i'd also look to give Lavia proper time for last 30-35 mins if he's good to go).  Madueke should play again and hopefully continues his momentum.  Sterling to start wide left if Mudryk is still carrying that knock. 

I'd like to see some Academy lads get on, but we really need to be building up some momentum, taking the Cup seriously and giving minutes to returning first XI players to get them going.  I really think we need to be strong here. 

20 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

Given a) our need for more good results and b) the Cups being our only chance of anything to shout about this year, I think Poch has to be a strong XI for this one. 

I'd go: 

Petrovic

Gallagher Caicedo 

Madueke Nkunku Mudryk 

Broja 

Bench: 

Nkunku needs more minutes for fitness (i'd also look to give Lavia proper time for last 30-35 mins if he's good to go).  Madueke should play again and hopefully continues his momentum.  Sterling to start wide left if Mudryk is still carrying that knock. 

I'd like to see some Academy lads get on, but we really need to be building up some momentum, taking the Cup seriously and giving minutes to returning first XI players to get them going.  I really think we need to be strong here. 

Dont think any of them players would get into our team ,  lol

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bert19 said:

I'd go: 

Petrovic

Gallagher Caicedo 

Madueke Nkunku Mudryk 

Broja 

Bench: 

Gallagher surely deserves and needs a rest for this one. No offence to PNE, but we should be strong enough to win without him.

1 hour ago, ProudPreston29 said:

Dont think any of them players would get into our team ,  lol

Perhaps not. Alan Browne looks handy judging by his goal against Leeds though! Maybe we should ask after him 

40 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Gallagher surely deserves and needs a rest for this one. No offence to PNE, but we should be strong enough to win without him.

Do we have any other CMs ready to play 90mins though? Not sure

2 hours ago, Bert19 said:

I'd go: 

Petrovic

Gallagher Caicedo 

Madueke Nkunku Mudryk 

Broja 

Bench: 

Nkunku needs more minutes for fitness (i'd also look to give Lavia proper time for last 30-35 mins if he's good to go).  Madueke should play again and hopefully continues his momentum.

Big Les out for 6 weeks / Lavia injured / Carney  and Chilwell only just got back from training this week. So probably not

Nkunku not starting - picked up a niggle in training this week but will be in the squad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bert19 said:

Do we have any other CMs ready to play 90mins though? Not sure

No, but Gallagher could at least be given an hours rest. Enzo should be able to start.

To be honest, I expect Gallagher will start as his fitness levels are insane, I just don't want us to burn him out as he's so important for us.

• Agree 1

Mauricio Pochettino on team news:

"[Ben] Chilwell and Carney [Chukwuemeka] are not available for tomorrow.

"We will see if they could be available for the next game, maybe Middlesbrough in the semi-final [of the Carabao Cup] or perhaps against Fulham. They are both doing very well and they have trained with the group in the last few days. We are happy with their evolution but we do not want to rush them.

"[Romeo] Lavia is recovering after his injury; we don't know still when he will be available again. He has a problem in his quad that he suffered during the game against Crystal Palace.

"Benoit [Badiashile] is getting closer and I think he will be available next week. I don't think there is anything else to update on ahead of Preston, no."

On whether Christopher Nkunku will start against Preston North End:

"I am going to tell you Christoph is not going to start tomorrow as he suffered issues during the week but he is going to be in the squad. We need to be careful with him."

————————-

Lavia proving to be about as worthwhile a signing as Fofana. 

I think our next signing needs to be someone else to do the medicals for new signings.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I think our next signing needs to be someone else to do the medicals for new signings.

That's the problem with chart based buying, if there isn't a column for "Resistance to injury" or "Strength of character" you're flying blind. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

I wonder if Lionel Messi regrets never winning the FA Cup.

About as much as he regrets never winning an Olympic medal for synchronised swimming, I expect.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Mauricio Pochettino on team news:

"[Ben] Chilwell and Carney [Chukwuemeka] are not available for tomorrow.

"We will see if they could be available for the next game, maybe Middlesbrough in the semi-final [of the Carabao Cup] or perhaps against Fulham. They are both doing very well and they have trained with the group in the last few days. We are happy with their evolution but we do not want to rush them.

"[Romeo] Lavia is recovering after his injury; we don't know still when he will be available again. He has a problem in his quad that he suffered during the game against Crystal Palace.

"Benoit [Badiashile] is getting closer and I think he will be available next week. I don't think there is anything else to update on ahead of Preston, no."

On whether Christopher Nkunku will start against Preston North End:

"I am going to tell you Christoph is not going to start tomorrow as he suffered issues during the week but he is going to be in the squad. We need to be careful with him."

————————-

Can also guarantee that Chilwell and Carney will play a half of football (if that) and then pull up with injuries. 

37 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

About as much as he regrets never winning an Olympic medal for synchronised swimming, I expect.

I once was about to ask for terms of application for "Paralympics Synchronized single swimming for colour blind". 

Always wondered if I would get a reply from the Norwegian Olympic committee.

😁😁😁

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Blue Moon said:

I think he put all his effort into training for sycnhronised diving.

4 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Harsh.

It's not that uncommon for a player to spend a period of time out with one injury and then pick up a knock or niggle in their return match when putting their body under match stress. 

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

Harsh.

It's not that uncommon for a player to spend a period of time out with one injury and then pick up a knock or niggle in their return match when putting their body under match stress. 

True..but almost a Rite of Passage at Chelsea...reminds me of the old Monty P sketch...the one about opting for the "Non Pay Out Insurance Policy"...signing the non playing players.🤩

26 minutes ago, chara said:

True..but almost a Rite of Passage at Chelsea...reminds me of the old Monty P sketch...the one about opting for the "Non Pay Out Insurance Policy"...signing the non playing players.🤩

This is fair, we seem to be the leaders in this phenomenon. 

Believe it or not I've not seen any Monty Python sketches. 🤯

15 hours ago, Bert19 said:

Yep agreed, don’t take them lightly at all and go for the kill early on, if we’re winning well I’d love to see a debut for Casteldine really, because he’s been on the bench a few times and deserves some minutes, but get the job done first and foremost.

Edited by Floyd25

8 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Harsh.

It was a bit tongue in cheek to be fair, but so far, for £50m+ we’ve got 30 mins out of him which isn’t exactly value for money.

26 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

It was a bit tongue in cheek to be fair, but so far, for £50m+ we’ve got 30 mins out of him which isn’t exactly value for money.

Buy players with major injuries and you are buying a risk. Not worked out too well so far and worse with Fofana. The old adage about ‘fool me once………..’ might be applicable to those doing the deals. 

Also you need to be buying what I refer to as Solid Citizens - meaning players with a backbone and mentality that manifests itself to always wanting to be on the pitch. You can see examples of when the going gets tough for a team, some players get going to the treatment table. Deferring responsibility for pulling the team out of the crap onto others, or sitting there until the coach gets sacked then making Lazarus type recoveries. 

Vital stat to look at when considering a player is how many games as a percentage of those available is the player participating in for the last season or two.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnnybozo said:

I see 1-1 draw written all over this. Jackson Broja dream team continuing to disappoint 💀

Jackson is off with Senegal already isn’t he? So it’s Broja solo team, which is even worse. Crazy that the owners allowed us to go into this season with only Broja and Jackson as our strikers. Arguably Jackson’s strongest position isn’t even a no. 9 either.

27 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Jackson is off with Senegal already isn’t he? So it’s Broja solo team, which is even worse. Crazy that the owners allowed us to go into this season with only Broja and Jackson as our strikers. Arguably Jackson’s strongest position isn’t even a no. 9 either.

Let's not forget that Jackson fooled everyone into thinking we'd bought Drogba reincarnated and that Nkunku was a proven goalscorer too.