JaneB

Matchday prediction  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Liverpool win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/01/24 at 19:15

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

So one player, who happenes to be by far and away our best signing.

What about the others. Do you not think literally all clubs have a recruited department that buy players, some with little or no input from the manager?

Do you think Pep had any say in City signing Claudio Echeverri, their latest signing?

If you want to defend the clubs recruitment policy that's your progative, however none of the current squad have Poch's fingerprints on them, therefore he can walk away with his reputation intact.

As for other club, is it not the norm for the clubs recruitment dept work with there coach and draw up list of players based on whatever means of analytics the club use, then usually there is the more specific list of priority players for positions the coach deems require urgent attention.

At Chelsea the above philosophy has not been used in the previous two windows and it so obvious unless your glasses are have a rose coloured tinted lenses.

BTW - Do you think JM had any input in the signings of Costa & Fabregas?

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:

@ROTG also where does it say Poch didn't want him or had no say? He just says it wasn't his idea. Shock horror. Recruitment team doing their job and going to the manager with a potential new signing.

The recruitment team were going to purchase Palmer regardless of the squads need for a top draw striker

3 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Therefore he can walk away with his reputation intact.

Intact but in the gutter.

Not really a good look to be honest.

He's mighty lucky that not many owners know the first thing about coaching or football for that matter.

He leaves us he goes to a farmers league somewhere on a fraction of his current wage.

Blimey , his poor Son might have to get a paper round. 

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

Intact but in the gutter.

Not really a good look to be honest.

He's mighty lucky that not many owners know the first thing about coaching or football for that matter.

He leaves us he goes to a farmers league somewhere on a fraction of his current wage.

Blimey , his poor Son might have to get a paper round. 

He will get another job, because Chelsea is a bonkers club and nobodies  reputation get damaged. Except Potters and Scolari 

even under Roman, fired coaches went on to be successful at other clubs

4 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Klopp had clearly got into the head of that ref by saying he was biased against his team. It worked a treat.
 If that had been Jose the press and media would have dragged him through the gutter calling him a result denier. But a least José had balls. 

It’s hard to see a route forward for Poch. He’s lost and he looks lost. He can’t patch this up. It looks like we are on the manager merry go round again at the end of the season. Honestly no point now. We are not going down , we are not getting in Europe with a new coach , but clearly a new face and approach is needed. 

Actually, with a decent run of sorts we can get Europe. Just not the CL.  (Also, do we get a European place for this final given Liverpool will be in the CL?) 

I also disagree that there's no point firing him now.  We have a final in 3 weeks, a cup replay next week and we need to win some games regardless.  We're not at 40 points and another season drifting off to a slow death would be bad for everyone.  A change now could at least give the new bloke a chance to fully work out who's good enough to keep, improve a few that are struggling and give everyone a bit of a boost.  

We've learned recently that things Can and Do get worse - so we should probably act to prevent that from happening.

2 hours ago, Dwmh said:

they also hit the woodwork 4 times and our standout player was Pertovic.

Yeh, I think claiming anything other than us getting a good pasting last night is a bit ambitious tbh. We got bashed. 

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:

I can't see anything other than Jose coming back. Just makes so much sense.

There does seem to be a bit of an "All roads lead to Jose" whiff in the air, yes. 

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

He would scare the life out of our ‘sporting directors’ during the interview stage!

That's a very good start as far as i'm concerned. 

Edited by Bert19

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Maybe Eghbali takes the reigns and decides we need a change of direction - who knows what is going on behind the scenes. If the wheels come off they must be smart enough to adjust the strategy - or maybe they are stubborn enough to continue.

Unfortunately, the club is already down a one was street so their is probably no way back

A lot of interesting, worried and sincere opinions and viewpoints.

Season is done but one Final so regardless of future result something that all but four clubs will not achieve domestically this season,,,take what we can from that..

Jose?,,,why not ?...looking at EPL really I don't see a real "gotta have" coach.....lot of good coaches in the right spot for the minute but no shoo ins... Potter appeared to do well with Brighton as did The Poch with Soton.... but not able to handle higher demands.

What to do?...I used to be a Hunter Education Instructor over here...one part of the obligatory 12 hour classes was a  "Survival" section...(the wilderness here is real.)..First rule when lost,,,"Stay put" don't go searching for a way out,,,same as "stop digging"...make the best of a bad situation not make it worse....

War story..guy I knew got "turned around" as the night came down....hunkered down and had a very uncomfortable night but come the dawn he was closer to his camp than was apparent the night before....an easy walk to comfort...it's easy to run from safety by panicking..the solution is often easier and closer than it looks...just saying.

26 minutes ago, Bert19 said:

Actually, with a decent run of sorts we can get Europe. Just not the CL.  (Also, do we get a European place for this final given Liverpool will be in the CL?) 

I also disagree that there's no point firing him now.  We have a final in 3 weeks, a cup replay next week and we need to win some games regardless.  We're not at 40 points and another season drifting off to a slow death would be bad for everyone.  A change now could at least give the new bloke a chance to fully work out who's good enough to keep, improve a few that are struggling and give everyone a bit of a boost.  

Ok let me re phrase that. There is no point firing him UNLESS WE HAVE SOMEONE LINED UP.  If we have , and it’s a very decent coach , then let’s  go!!  If it’s bringing back Lamps until the end of the season t  by en let’s not bother. Apart from yesterday we have shown some signs of improvement and I think we are as likely to get Europe football with Poch as with anyone else. 
What we really needed in this window was a striker, but instead we are waiting for Jackson to return. I’d like to see a new coach play around with those potatoes. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

Ok let me re phrase that. There is no point firing him UNLESS WE HAVE SOMEONE LINED UP.  If we have , and it’s a very decent coach , then let’s  go!!  If it’s bringing back Lamps until the end of the season t  by en let’s not bother. Apart from yesterday we have shown some signs of improvement and I think we are as likely to get Europe football with Poch as with anyone else. 
What we really needed in this window was a striker, but instead we are waiting for Jackson to return. I’d like to see a new coach play around with those potatoes. 

The big point is that the home fans seem to be sticking by Poch largely, also because our home form is much better than away. If that turns things may start to feel different.

But tell me Mr. Bobbly (or is it Nobbly?) - do you still think we have a good chance of winning the cup final?

Crap result, matched by the performance.  But let's cut out the BS that Jose is the answer.  He isn't.  Third spells are never successful, (ie Howard Kendall at Everton many years ago).  We don't need a prima dona coach, and if we must go for a former coach, why not Ancelotti?  Long in the tooth,but has a better record then Jose in the last 10 years, and plays what I call proper football, not the negative defensive crap which doesn't work anymore.  But of course, the problem is, I have more chance of getting the job than Carlo coming back.  Jose and Conte are just drama queens.

3 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

The big point is that the home fans seem to be sticking by Poch largely, also because our home form is much better than away. If that turns things may start to feel different.

And the journey home lasts about a tenth of the time

1 hour ago, blueandproud said:

Crap result, matched by the performance.  But let's cut out the BS that Jose is the answer.  He isn't.  Third spells are never successful, (ie Howard Kendall at Everton many years ago).  We don't need a prima dona coach, and if we must go for a former coach, why not Ancelotti?  Long in the tooth,but has a better record then Jose in the last 10 years, and plays what I call proper football, not the negative defensive crap which doesn't work anymore.  But of course, the problem is, I have more chance of getting the job than Carlo coming back.  Jose and Conte are just drama queens.

Those 'drama queens' get the job done, who wants a manager for 8 years when having 3 different managers in the same time could win you more? Carlo is the same, the difference is he will bend to the club's will more than Jose and Conte will; the latter two tend to hold their club to account. If making sure you're bigger than the players is a bad thing, then bring on the bad times, because Poch has zero impact.

Fans don't need to worry about what managers look like to the media, other club's fans and even the FA; in particular Chelsea fans, because the only time our manager is liked is when he isn't winning. The more they're hated the better because it means they're getting the job done.

Also we do need a prima donna coach, and we need one badly, because currently the team has the personality of a wet mop.

17 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Anyone seen this yet? Sums us up. Completely lacking leadership, organization, any identity - shambles.

Compare with Liverpool underneath.

I don't know if this is just me being curmudgeonly but I'm outraged at the treatment of that poor kid who's probably dreamed of that moment all his life. 

Hung out to dry in a hostile environment by people who are supposed to be looking out for you. 

It's no wonder we're where we're at. 

That said its probably Enzo anyway. 

Edited by Mark Kelly
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gurj SS said:

Those 'drama queens' get the job done, who wants a manager for 8 years when having 3 different managers in the same time could win you more? Carlo is the same, the difference is he will bend to the club's will more than Jose and Conte will; the latter two tend to hold their club to account. If making sure you're bigger than the players is a bad thing, then bring on the bad times, because Poch has zero impact.

Fans don't need to worry about what managers look like to the media, other club's fans and even the FA; in particular Chelsea fans, because the only time our manager is liked is when he isn't winning. The more they're hated the better because it means they're getting the job done.

Also we do need a prima donna coach, and we need one badly, because currently the team has the personality of a wet mop.

Stop kidding yourself.  They are finished.  They are not the managers they once were.  Fact.  Get over it.  Poch isn't the answer, but neither are they.  The mid 2000's and 2017 are gone finished.  Kapputt.  We should never have sacked Carlo, he's still a serial winner,   He even made a crap team like Everton look decent.  Better than Jose and Conte any day.  I want a proper manager, not a blame shifter like Conte or Jose.  Where is Conte now?  Which owner will take him o? Exactly.   If you take on the owner, there is only one winner, and it's not the coach.  Have people forgotten the pathetic 2015/16 season when Jose was deservedly sacked for almost taking us down, and tried t blame the players instead when he lost the dressing room?   They're not going to come back, and I don't want them back.

Rant over for now.

Edited by blueandproud

And another thing.  Why wasn't  Sterling subbed?    The amount of times he lost the ball was ridiculous.  Only Gusto, Nkunku and Petrovic came away with credit from this debacle.  Palmer had an off day, but he'll be back I'm sure. 

1 minute ago, blueandproud said:

And another thing.  Why wasn't  Sterling subbed?    The amount of times he lost the ball was ridiculous.  Only Gusto, Nkunku and Petrovic came away with credit from this debacle.  Palmer had an off day, but he'll be back I'm sure. 

He wasn't subbed because Poch didn't notice he was playing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

"We're miles better than last season!!!!" 🤔

Not as bad at to answer fors last season, but not much better that's for sure.  Our recruitment team has a lot to answer for, Directors of  Football are just a waste of space as far as I'm concerned, they just pen push and suck up to directors and the owner.  Directors of Football?  They couldn't direct traffic!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, blueandproud said:

Stop kidding yourself.  They are finished.  They are not the managers they once were.  Fact.  Get over it.  Poch isn't the answer, but neither are they.  The mid 2000's and 2017 are gone finished.  Kapputt.  We should never have sacked Carlo, he's still a serial winner,   He even made a crap team like Everton look decent.  Better than Jose and Conte any day.  I want a proper manager, not a blame shifter like Conte or Jose.  Where is Conte now?  Which owner will take him o? Exactly.   If you take on the owner, there is only one winner, and it's not the coach.  Have people forgotten the pathetic 2015/16 season when Jose was deservedly sacked for almost taking us down, and tried t blame the players instead when he lost the dressing room?   They're not going to come back, and I don't want them back.

Rant over for now.

Carlo with Everton? I think Jose proved at Roma he's able to take an average side and win something. Also Carlo bailed when he got the chance, what makes you think a manager in Carlo's position would even give us a glance?

I don't mind who they blame, they left us with a winning mentality, they installed it, not those who sacked them or got them sacked.

Your rant seems like if you don't want something to happen then it shouldn't happen, Jose or Conte would be able to come in and seperate the squad into two groups, one group who has the quality to make it, and one group who doesn't; the current manager or some other airy fairy manager couldn't do that because they themselves would be in the latter group.

Rant all you want, reality is Jose and Conte mop the floor with Poch. Can you explain how they aren't the managers they once were? Where have they failed? They've always been the same, and they get results, even if they have to become the enemy to achieve them; rather that then this 10th in the league nonsense while making out like we're some power house of a club.

The reason fans don't want neither back is probably more to do with them being unemployed and still rejecting us.

13 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

"We're miles better than last season!!!!" 🤔

Yeah but Colwill is generational, Caicedo is a powerhouse and stops us conceeding, and and, Gallagher is proper Chels!

5 minutes ago, Gurj SS said:

Carlo with Everton? I think Jose proved at Roma he's able to take an average side and win something. Also Carlo bailed when he got the chance, what makes you think a manager in Carlo's position would even give us a glance?

I don't mind who they blame, they left us with a winning mentality, they installed it, not those who sacked them or got them sacked.

Your rant seems like if you don't want something to happen then it shouldn't happen, Jose or Conte would be able to come in and seperate the squad into two groups, one group who has the quality to make it, and one group who doesn't; the current manager or some other airy fairy manager couldn't do that because they themselves would be in the latter group.

Rant all you want, reality is Jose and Conte mop the floor with Poch. Can you explain how they aren't the managers they once were? Where have they failed? They've always been the same, and they get results, even if they have to become the enemy to achieve them; rather that then this 10th in the league nonsense while making out like we're some power house of a club.

The reason fans don't want neither back is probably more to do with them being unemployed and still rejecting us.

Their time has gone.  Get over it.  Whoever died years ago was buried years ago.  I am not a Poch apologist, but sacking him will just put us back to square one.  Jose I can maybe defend but Conte behves like a big baby when not given what he wants.  Oh Boo hoo!!! STFU and work with what you've got if you call yoirself a top coach

Edited by blueandproud

Just now, blueandproud said:

Their time has gone.  Get over it.  Whoever died years ago was buried years ago.  I am not a Poch apologist, but sacking him will just put us back to square one.  

Poch was never born with a winning mentality in the first place, rather take those who 'died years ago' than that who never lived.

We haven't left square one, we're still on it.