JaneB

Matchday prediction  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Liverpool win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/01/24 at 19:15

17 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

What's the point of having a "yes man" when it doesn't take us anywhere but down? 

That’s the consequence of hiring scouts and putting them into positions they are unqualified for.
They are also protecting their own backs for the last January's and last summers recruitment. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

What absolute nonsense. They are only being bettered by an insane run from Leverkusen and the momentum is shifting in Bayern‘s direction. You literally just made this paragraph up. We can’t sign Tuchel because he’s winning trophies at a bigger club and our current setup isn’t built to win.

Yes - Tuchel left us in a mess 😂 His points saved us from relegation. 

Lol,

Humiliated by Eintracht, scraped a win against Wolfsburg, beaten at home by Werder, and scraped  2-3 against Augsburg. So, were all those teams coached by Xabi Alonso? The football reminds me of his last days at Chelsea.

Bayern's results are only part of the story. If you follow the German papers, it's all kicking off big time at  Bayern right now.  And if you're praying for Thomas Tuchel to be released, you haven't got long to pray, I can tell you.

2 hours ago, Dwmh said:

Frankly it was simply a sign of where we are now, and were last summer.  He wasn't a top class manager, particularly after his time ar PSG but he like to be thought of as one.  We aren't a top class club but we'd like to pretend we are.
Good fit really.  Does anyone really think we can get someone better giver the dogs dinner the board has made of the squad this year?

Yes, on paper, he looked good, having managed at those two clubs. But the question should have been, how will he deal with such and such  situations, and are there examples of mighty collapses when you needed him to step up?

I think the owners needed someone who could hit the ground running. Pochettino hit the ground but forgot about the running. So, the narrative has now changed; we wanted a project. If we really wanted a project, there must be younger managers with fresh ideas who could grow with the team. 

10 minutes ago, Siidi said:

Lol,

Humiliated by Eintracht, scraped a win against Wolfsburg, beaten at home by Werder, and scraped  2-3 against Augsburg. So, were all those teams coached by Xabi Alonso? The football reminds me of his last days at Chelsea.

Bayern's results are only part of the story. If you follow the German papers, it's all kicking off big time at  Bayern right now.  And if you're praying for Thomas Tuchel to be released, you haven't got long to pray, I can tell you.

They are W15D2L2 with 47 points in 19 games.  Topped their CL group with W7D1L0 by a massive 8 points.

TT is doing very well thankyou.
He has half a season to gain 2 more points over Leverkusen.
I'm curious you rate German newspapers as more reliable that British newspapers.
Everything I have ever heard about them suggests they are twice as bad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Siidi said:

Yes, on paper, he looked good, having managed at those two clubs. But the question should have been, how will he deal with such and such  situations, and are there examples of mighty collapses when you needed him to step up?

I think the owners needed someone who could hit the ground running. Pochettino hit the ground but forgot about the running. So, the narrative has now changed; we wanted a project. If we really wanted a project, there must be younger managers with fresh ideas who could grow with the team. 

No you misread me.  On paper Poch looked mediocre and had been unemployed for whole season which is a long time for a top manager nowadays.  But he had coached PSG so could be made to sound better than he was.
Chelsea are also a mediocre team (worst than mediocre back in May 2023).  But also wish to pretend we are something better than that.
If the club gave a flying fxxk as to how well the first team does this year they would have started with a full squad.

1 hour ago, Siidi said:

Lol,

I am well aware of what the papers are saying danke - I have lived in Germany since 2015. 

Nonetheless you are blowing up something that isn't there. 

Tuchel has a 75% win percentage at Bayern this season. 75%. They will go on to win the league and very possibly the Champions League this season.  Nearly averaging 3 goals a game in the Bundesliga (2.95).

You clearly have some kind of personal vendetta because your "lols" and "rofls" don't add up to any kind of reality as to what is going on at Bayern.

And they idea that we wouldn't have Tuchel back now because we are "too good for Tuchel"

hahahahahaha - who is laughing now.

1 hour ago, Dwmh said:

They are W15D2L2 with 47 points in 19 games.  Topped their CL group with W7D1L0 by a massive 8 points.

TT is doing very well thankyou.
He has half a season to gain 2 more points over Leverkusen.
I'm curious you rate German newspapers as more reliable that British newspapers.
Everything I have ever heard about them suggests they are twice as bad.

I don't rate any papers, tbh.  You can read about German football in Spanish, Italian, and other papers.

As you prefer English papers, I've got one here for you

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/25560377/thomas-tuchel-bayern-munich-manager-spain-barcelona/

8 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I am well aware of what the papers are saying danke - I have lived in Germany since 2015. 

Nonetheless you are blowing up something that isn't there. 

Tuchel has a 75% win percentage at Bayern this season. 75%. They will go on to win the league and very possibly the Champions League this season.  Nearly averaging 3 goals a game in the Bundesliga (2.95).

You clearly have some kind of personal vendetta because your "lols" and "rofls" don't add up to any kind of reality as to what is going on at Bayern.

And they idea that we wouldn't have Tuchel back now because we are "too good for Tuchel"

hahahahahaha - who is laughing now.

I am laughing because you called my post "absolute nonsense", but then you went on to reply. I wouldn't reply to something I consider absolute nonsense.

Why would I have a vendetta against a football coach with whom I have had no personal dealings? I think it's ridiculous to think that Thomas Tuchel is a solution to our problem. He left us in a mess. That's my personal opinion. You can engage with that without getting yourself all worked up. 

1 hour ago, Siidi said:

I am laughing because you called my post "absolute nonsense", but then you went on to reply. I wouldn't reply to something I consider absolute nonsense.

Why would I have a vendetta against a football coach with whom I have had no personal dealings? I think it's ridiculous to think that Thomas Tuchel is a solution to our problem. He left us in a mess. That's my personal opinion. You can engage with that without getting yourself all worked up. 

I mean the idea that Tuchel left us in a mess is just nonsense. I don't even know how you can explain it - even at our worst under him we were miles more competitive than we are now. Clearlake got rid of his entire squad but they would have done that anyway. The entire culture has changed towards long contracts and baby age players. 

Again, considering his points kept us out of an official relegation battle last season, and he won the Champions League for us,  I think you should show a bit more respect. If we were competing for the title straight after he left I would say you might have a point. After we have seen everything that has happened since - you are living in upside down land.

2 hours ago, Siidi said:

I don't rate any papers, tbh.  You can read about German football in Spanish, Italian, and other papers.

As you prefer English papers, I've got one here for you

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/25560377/thomas-tuchel-bayern-munich-manager-spain-barcelona/

I feel like you've undermined yourself by sharing a link to The Sun.

25 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I feel like you've undermined yourself by sharing a link to The Sun.

The sun is not a paper that I read. It was meant  tongue in cheek as DWMH suggested British papers are more reliable. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dwmh said:

No you misread me.  On paper Poch looked mediocre and had been unemployed for whole season which is a long time for a top manager nowadays.  But he had coached PSG so could be made to sound better than he was.
Chelsea are also a mediocre team (worst than mediocre back in May 2023).  But also wish to pretend we are something better than that.
If the club gave a flying fxxk as to how well the first team does this year they would have started with a full squad.

Despite out troubles, I still think  Chelsea was an attractive job, at the time of Poch appointment, and remains an attractive job right now. It actually works better for us if some old coaches don't think we're not good enough for them . Look around Europe and you'd find the young coaches are giving the older men a run for their money. 

21 hours ago, Gurj SS said:

TT I'd welcome back, but you know he's more Jose/Conte than he's Poch. While he might handle the press better and hug the players more, he will also put them to the sword when they're not performing. Honestly mate I think every decision since RA was forced out has had no footballing knowledge behind it. Marina was too powerful for the new owners, they couldn't put up with someone who could demand more respect than them, but the moment Cech left I felt as if the new owners were going to remove everything to do with the previous owner; all new owners do it to a cetrtain point to stamp their mark, but ours chose to do it in a manner which set us back to 2003; or maybe even further.

Also, and I'm not entirely sure, but the last time we finished outside of the top four 2 seasons in a row was 2002? 

That was Ranieri's rebuilding era,  as much as I loved Luca Vialli (God  rest his soul), but he left us with an ageing team (Wise, Poyet, Lebeouf, Bogarde, Ferrer) were all past their best (Bogarde was never any good), but the 2002-03 season was a good one IMHO, we finished top 4 without spendong a penny (we only brought a duffer called De Lucas on a free) and still finished two places higher in the PL.  Then of course, Roman arrived!

1 hour ago, Siidi said:

Despite out troubles, I still think  Chelsea was an attractive job, at the time of Poch appointment, and remains an attractive job right now. It actually works better for us if some old coaches don't think we're not good enough for them . Look around Europe and you'd find the young coaches are giving the older men a run for their money. 

I wondered about this.
Poch arrived on May 31st.
Did he know how many players would be gone in next 6 weeks.
Kante, Koulibaly, Kovacic, Mendy, Havertz, RLC  all had gone by end June.
Mount, Azpi, Pulisic, Ampadu, Aubameyang by mid July.
Kepa, Ziyech, Hall, Lukaku went later but all on loan so I presume that was in the initial plan.
Only CHO on Sept 1 was a late sale.

Seems pretty certain that Poch and any other May candidate should have known exactly what the damage was going to be in the summer.  

• Agree 1

On 01/02/2024 at 17:52, Max Fowler said:

The big point is that the home fans seem to be sticking by Poch largely, also because our home form is much better than away. If that turns things may start to feel different.

But tell me Mr. Bobbly (or is it Nobbly?) - do you still think we have a good chance of winning the cup final?

Well Mr Fowler  ( you can call me Nobbly) , as previously stated before in my post , this game was a different kettle of fish to a final on a neutral ground and I’m not particularly surprised we lost . As for the final, I didn’t say we had a good chance of winning the final, I said we A chance of winning the final. You said we had zero chance . That’s where we differed.  I also said we would need a fair ref. If we get one like this wimp whose balls clearly shrunk to the size of peanuts after Kloppy previously accused him of bias, we have no chance. I also said that if squandered chances from a few yards out ( see Mudryks best bits showreel)  we would have no chance.  
So my update on our Haribo cup final chances is absolutely no different. In fact , as I watch Nkunku ( for the limited time we have done) I feel even a little more positive. He is very good. 

Are you planning a nice long walk when the game comes on? 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dwmh said:

I wondered about this.
Poch arrived on May 31st.
Did he know how many players would be gone in next 6 weeks.
Kante, Koulibaly, Kovacic, Mendy, Havertz, RLC  all had gone by end June.
Mount, Azpi, Pulisic, Ampadu, Aubameyang by mid July.
Kepa, Ziyech, Hall, Lukaku went later but all on loan so I presume that was in the initial plan.
Only CHO on Sept 1 was a late sale.

Seems pretty certain that Poch and any other May candidate should have known exactly what the damage was going to be in the summer.  

I actually think the massive house clearing was the best thing the club could do for itself and any incoming manager. We got ridiculous money from  the sale, thanks to the Saudis. It's a new manager's dream to not have to deal with tried disinterested older players.

The only player we miss is Rudiger, but that is because someone from an parallel universe that Kounde was the better defender. So we squandered opportunities to tie down Rudiger, publicly courted Kounde, missed out on him, signed Koulibally (who was never suited to the PL) then splashed absolutely ridiculous money on Wesley Fofana. 

This young, fresh, and talented squad is a positive. Only a poor manager would make an excuse of it 

Kante had given up , Kovacic couldn't be bothered, Havertz has been replaced by an equally over hyped Mudryk, Mount had his eyes on Man Utd . The rest is not worth mentioning. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Siidi said:

I actually think the massive house clearing was the best thing the club could do for itself and any incoming manager. We got ridiculous money from  the sale, thanks to the Saudis. It's a new manager's dream to not have to deal with tried disinterested older players.

The only player we miss is Rudiger, but that is because someone from an parallel universe that Kounde was the better defender. So we squandered opportunities to tie down Rudiger, publicly courted Kounde, missed out on him, signed Koulibally (who was never suited to the PL) then splashed absolutely ridiculous money on Wesley Fofana. 

This young, fresh, and talented squad is a positive. Only a poor manager would make an excuse of it 

Kante had given up , Kovacic couldn't be bothered, Havertz has been replaced by an equally over hyped Mudryk, Mount had his eyes on Man Utd . The rest is not worth mentioning. 

They almost all (and it is about 10 of them) got taken on by CL clubs where they play as much as they did here and are mostly fitter.
They are almost all doing better than here.
Meanwhile we have a dog's dinner that desperately lacks experience.

The ex-girlfriend theory is a wonderful way to get over a break up.  But it is a lousy method for rational analysis.

24 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

They almost all (and it is about 10 of them) got taken on by CL clubs where they play as much as they did here and are mostly fitter.
They are almost all doing better than here.
Meanwhile we have a dog's dinner that desperately lacks experience.

The ex-girlfriend theory is a wonderful way to get over a break up.  But it is a lousy method for rational analysis.

You've been called out several times by myself and others peddling this narrative as if it's a testament to how grand these players are.

These players have either gone to lesser leagues more their speed and level, play rotational roles at the club they've joined, haven't performed to any higher standard than they were doing so here, and or been injured.

You treat it as if they've all walked into the Real Madrid or Bayern first teams and have singlehandedly transformed their sides. 

The reality is closer to the factthat they joined sides that would function perfectly fine without them, and did so last season. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

19 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

You've been called out several times by myself and others peddling this narrative as if it's a testament to how grand these players are.

Their CV’s at Chelsea and previous clubs tells you they are good players?

Apart from a WC winner and a serial PL winner, who else at the club has a winning CV?

Edited by ROTG

23 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

but that is still a bull shit argument so I'll continue to ignore it.

25 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

You treat it as if they've all walked into the Real Madrid or Bayern first teams and have singlehandedly transformed their sides. 

I think the level of straw man in this sentence shows how difficult it is to make your point.
It is the ex-girlfriend theory - I've lost her, she must have been rubbish.

20 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

I think the level of straw man in this sentence shows how difficult it is to make your point.

Not biting this time. 

1 hour ago, Dwmh said:

It's only "shit" because you've been caught out again.

1 hour ago, Dwmh said:

The only difficult thing here is you.

To no ones surprise I might add.