JaneB

Matchday prediction  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Liverpool win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/01/24 at 19:15

4 minutes ago, Gurj SS said:

Poch was never born with a winning mentality in the first place, rather take those who 'died years ago' than that who never lived.

We haven't left square one, we're still on it.

And have been for quite a few years TBH.  How about TT coming back?  I don't think he deserved the push.  Getting rid of Marina and Petr Cech wasn't clever either, whatever people think of them, they're better than the  people we have now, and at least tey knew something about football.

Edited by blueandproud

1 minute ago, blueandproud said:

And have been for years TBH.

Nah we haven't, we've struggled compared to what standards we have set over the years, but we were never square one; fans forget far too quickly.

Screenshot 2024-02-01 21.01.58.png

1 minute ago, Gurj SS said:

Nah we haven't, we've struggled compared to what standards we have set over the years, but we were never square one; fans forget far too quickly.

Screenshot 2024-02-01 21.01.58.png

That Guus Hiddink - what a rubbish manager he was  😉

• Haha 1

Just now, Dwmh said:

That Guus Hiddink - what a rubbish manager he was  😉

In 2016 he was past it, but in 2009 he was great, we only lost once with him at the helm.  I was disappointed he didn't stay, it would have been interesting to see how he would have fared.  Carlo wasn't a bad replacement mind.

33 minutes ago, blueandproud said:

And have been for quite a few years TBH.  How about TT coming back?  I don't think he deserved the push.  Getting rid of Marina and Petr Cech wasn't clever either, whatever people think of them, they're better than the  people we have now, and at least tey knew something about football.

TT I'd welcome back, but you know he's more Jose/Conte than he's Poch. While he might handle the press better and hug the players more, he will also put them to the sword when they're not performing. Honestly mate I think every decision since RA was forced out has had no footballing knowledge behind it. Marina was too powerful for the new owners, they couldn't put up with someone who could demand more respect than them, but the moment Cech left I felt as if the new owners were going to remove everything to do with the previous owner; all new owners do it to a cetrtain point to stamp their mark, but ours chose to do it in a manner which set us back to 2003; or maybe even further.

Also, and I'm not entirely sure, but the last time we finished outside of the top four 2 seasons in a row was 2002? 

Edited by Gurj SS

10 minutes ago, Gurj SS said:

. Honestly mate I think every decision since RA was forced out has had no footballing knowledge behind it. Marina was too powerful for the new owners, they couldn't put up with someone who could demand more respect than them, but the moment Cech left I felt as if the new owners were going to remove everything to do with the previous owner; all new owners do it to a cetrtain point to stamp their mark, but ours chose to do it in a manner which set us back to 2003; or maybe even further.

Yes to the first sentence.
But Marina's core quality is that she had the trust of RA and carried the authority of RA, and had that before she took her Chelsea role. [I used to work with a Russian girl who had previously worked in the RA organisation pre-Chelsea, and she had nothing but praise for the way he runs his ship.]
I'm not sure that would be helpful sitting in between the Winstanley team and TB.
Similarly they'd be no proper role for Cech.

I just googled a bit and found out she got a £35m consultation fee from Chelsea for selling the club (effectively adding £35m to the price for Clearlake and paying her off in money one hopes she can access - nice one RA.)

I'm not sure Marina can do a lot more right now as a Right Hand lady for RA.  At least until Europe gets its act together and breaks with the US.  Maybe she is learning Chinese right now.

• Like 1

And as if last nights refereeing and VAR performance wasn’t painful enough, just to rub salt into the open wounds. 

Have a look at the penalty that’s just been given to Wolves and also ratified by the VAR Official - Guess who that is, yep you got it Paul Tierney.

They are ripping it out of us now, and it’s just so obvious and no f**ker cares.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, east lower said:

And as if last nights refereeing and VAR performance wasn’t painful enough, just to rub salt into the open wounds. 

Have a look at the penalty that’s just been given to Wolves and also ratified by the VAR Official - Guess who that is, yep you got it Paul Tierney.

They are ripping it out of us now, and it’s just so obvious and no f**ker cares.

Yep, they aren't even hiding it anymore. At least Serie A were being threatend by the mafia, our footballing body is the mafia.

16 minutes ago, east lower said:

14 hours ago, east lower said:

We are not miles apart.

Thing is he has been allowed to bring in known associates, he’s brought in all his own coaching staff (including a brother, which I question for a number of reasons). 

Plus, he clearly thinks he’s doing “fantastic “. I quote that from an interview given by him in the last week.

I contract in and out of places at work, sometimes I HAVE to work with people who don’t cut it and haven’t done for a good while. It’s not in my brief to manage them out, it’s in my brief to get them to produce something useful in pursuit of whatever the end goal is. So I try to identify parts of the overall function that they can deliver. If they are a completely lost cause, then part of what I do is to make recommendations to their senior management based on performance of the way ahead for that individual. I wonder if Poch is doing the same? He’s got a fixed term contract, what’s there to lose?

I never thought I would ever utter the next few words but here goes: I prefer Potter to this bloke.

Some of Potter’s team performances in Europe in particular were miles ahead of what we see from the current coach.

Don't all managers bring their own backroom staff now?  It's his son actually which doesn't sit well with me as I don't know what he actually does.

9 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Don't all managers bring their own backroom staff now?  It's his son actually which doesn't sit well with me as I don't know what he actually does.

You’re right it’s his son, role is defined as sports scientist and fitness coach - whatever that means.

What I do know (having just seen a photo of him) is that he takes the lead in a few pre-game fitness warm-ups, picks the Dollie’s (plastic pimples) up afterwards - mum must have taught him to be clean, organised and tidy. Couldn’t have got those from the old man!

There’s been talk in the forum that the coach is having to do his job without having his own people, he clearly has as the coaching staff is hand-picked by him and that was the point I was trying to make. 👍

Edited by east lower

5 minutes ago, east lower said:

What I do know (having just seen a photo of him) is that he takes the lead in a few pre-game fitness warm-ups, picks the Dollie’s (plastic pimples) up afterwards - 

The BBC job as footballers call it.  Balls Bibs and cones.

7 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

The BBC job as footballers call it.  Balls Bibs and cones.

According to my wife, he’s a bit of all-right. Looks like a Joey to me.

Club has got form for the odd bit of ‘jobs for the relatives’. Nathan Ake signed and one condition was that the club gave his brother a job - worked in the Megastore. Printing Ake on shirts probably.

7 minutes ago, east lower said:

According to my wife, he’s a bit of all-right. Looks like a Joey to me.

Club has got form for the odd bit of ‘jobs for the relatives’. Nathan Ake signed and one condition was that the club gave his brother a job - worked in the Megastore. Printing Ake on shirts probably.

Hazard's brothers got jobs too.  Messi's dad did best though.
Not too bothered.  Conte's brother was on the payroll wasn't he?  And there is a story of JM getting picked by his Dad to play GK and the Chairman vetoing it.

9 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Hazard's brothers got jobs too.  Messi's dad did best though.
Not too bothered.  Conte's brother was on the payroll wasn't he?  And there is a story of JM getting picked by his Dad to play GK and the Chairman vetoing it.

To be fair Thorgan Hazard had a good professional career, didn’t the other brother also play professionally?

Happens a lot in lots of workplaces, wasn’t one of the worst the London Underground?

8 hours ago, Gurj SS said:

TT I'd welcome back, but you know he's more Jose/Conte than he's Poch. While he might handle the press better and hug the players more, he will also put them to the sword when they're not performing. Honestly mate I think every decision since RA was forced out has had no footballing knowledge behind it. Marina was too powerful for the new owners, they couldn't put up with someone who could demand more respect than them, but the moment Cech left I felt as if the new owners were going to remove everything to do with the previous owner; all new owners do it to a cetrtain point to stamp their mark, but ours chose to do it in a manner which set us back to 2003; or maybe even further.

Also, and I'm not entirely sure, but the last time we finished outside of the top four 2 seasons in a row was 2002? 

Marina holding a position here after RA left was always going to be difficult purely because of the relationship they held. Cech on the other hand, at least from what I can find and remember, stepped down. None of us really known the true circumstances around that and if it was a matter of getting the tap on the shoulder, or if he simply felt it was necessary to do so himself. 

Don't think either would've remained even if asked, beyond maybe a short initial stint

Not that it really matters now as it's done.

7 hours ago, JaneB said:

In most cases, yes. They don't get to necessarily pick everyone, but most generally get to bring with them an assistant or two, and maybe a couple coaches of varied variety (fitness, general, goalkeeping, etc). 

Ancelotti employs his son as an assistant, has done for years, going back to when he was first hired as a fitness coach at PSG. 

Sebastiano Pochettino works on the fitness, strength and conditioning, injury prevention (ironically) side of things. Has held roles in this area with Southampton, PSG, Tottenham and I presume now us. 

Thomas Tuchel returning is a NO for me. He's picked up at Bayern where he left off at Chelsea. Bayern are a mess on and off the pitch right now and he's barely unpacked his bags. He'll leave them a financial baggage as big as the he left us but with no Saudis to the rescue. 

JM returning is also a NO fire me. 

In hindsight, Pochettino was a lazy appointment. If we can't learn from our own mistakes,  Manchester United is another proof that you can't make up for one lazy decision with another even lazier one .

2 hours ago, Siidi said:

Thomas Tuchel returning is a NO for me. He's picked up at Bayern where he left off at Chelsea. Bayern are a mess on and off the pitch right now and he's barely unpacked his bags. He'll leave them a financial baggage as big as the he left us but with no Saudis to the rescue. 

What absolute nonsense. They are only being bettered by an insane run from Leverkusen and the momentum is shifting in Bayern‘s direction. You literally just made this paragraph up. We can’t sign Tuchel because he’s winning trophies at a bigger club and our current setup isn’t built to win.

Yes - Tuchel left us in a mess 😂 His points saved us from relegation. 

3 hours ago, Siidi said:

In hindsight, Pochettino was a lazy appointment. If we can't learn from our own mistakes,  Manchester United is another proof that you can't make up for one lazy decision with another even lazier one .

Frankly it was simply a sign of where we are now, and were last summer.  He wasn't a top class manager, particularly after his time ar PSG but he like to be thought of as one.  We aren't a top class club but we'd like to pretend we are.
Good fit really.  Does anyone really think we can get someone better giver the dogs dinner the board has made of the squad this year?

3 hours ago, Siidi said:

In hindsight, Pochettino was a lazy appointment

No.

Although i thought differently at first, his appoint was solely down to the fact he is a company yes man and will not rock the boat.  

10 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Frankly it was simply a sign of where we are now, and were last summer.  He wasn't a top class manager, particularly after his time ar PSG but he like to be thought of as one.  We aren't a top class club but we'd like to pretend we are.
Good fit really.  Does anyone really think we can get someone better giver the dogs dinner the board has made of the squad this year?

Yes , I do.

He can't coach 

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

No.

Although i thought differently at first, his appoint was solely down to the fact he is a company yes man and will not rock the boat.  

What's the point of having a "yes man" when it doesn't take us anywhere but down?