New Striker

In all likelihood, we’re going to be in the market for a striker this summer and it sounds like Osimhen is going to be too pricey, which I’m glad to hear. I think he’s a good player but not good enough for the money required.

I like the look of Sesko, although he’s another young player that would be joining an already young squad.

Solanke was mentioned on here recently and Watkins must be worth consideration as well, but would he walk away from a season in the CL?

Don't want to ses us go anywhere near Osimhen. Jackson showed so much promise I can't see why we would spend £100m+ him or any other forward. We need to  be mindful that we don't want to stop Jacksons progress, who is on a steep, upwards trajectory by spending a fortune on someone, like Osimhen,  who I personally don't think is any better that Jackson. Some may think he is but I don't think there's much in it and after having a year to settle its fair to assume he will be even better next year. Is it really worth spending over £100m to find out?

Looking at how Marecsa likes his striker to play, according to everything ive read and seen

•He likes an  out and out number 9

•They need to stay high and through the middle

• We will use proper wingers as opposed to wide forwards who predominantly stay out wide until the final third.

•  We will use two number 8's who will push up to support him.

• They will need to work hard and start the high press.

Taking all the above into account.  looking at the profile of player we are generally buying  I would think we will be very, very interested in Benjamin Sesko. He ticks a lot  of boxes, pretty much all of them to be fair.

• Like 3

Like a lot of positions in world football these days the bulk of the CF options out there right now aren't what I'd call mouthwatering. 

Going to be a challenge to find value for money really, as you're either going to pay up for potential that may not necessarily have the record behind them, or you're going to pay out the ass for more reputable names that do. 

I'd prefer to see us not spend some wild Lukaku like sum of money, which thankfully I don't see happening with our PSR situation, so players with release clauses like Sesko could be options or we go down the path of trying to pick up a solid domestic option that's capable of getting 10-15 to compliment Jackson - eg; Solanke or a Mateta.

I'm not particularly pressed on who we get in all honesty, it's going to be more about their fit and profile being complimentary to how we wish to play while maybe providing a little variation from what we have already. 

7 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Don't want to ses us go anywhere near Osimhen. Jackson showed so much promise I can't see why we would spend £100m+ him or any other forward. We need to  be mindful that we don't want to stop Jacksons progress, who is on a steep, upwards trajectory by spending a fortune on someone, like Osimhen,  who I personally don't think is any better that Jackson. Some may think he is but I don't think there's much in it and after having a year to settle its fair to assume he will be even better next year. Is it really worth spending over £100m to find out?

Looking at how Marecsa likes his striker to play, according to everything ive read and seen

• We will use proper wingers as opposed to wide forwards who predominantly stay out wide until the final third.

Taking all the above into account.  looking at the profile of player we are generally buying  I would think we will be very, very interested in Benjamin Sesko. He ticks a lot  of boxes, pretty much all of them to be fair.

I’m thinking Sesko too. It goes against the age and experience profile of what we need, but he looks to have a high ceiling and scores all sorts of different goals from everywhere. I can see him fitting us well and he is half the price of Osimhen (who I share your concerns about).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Anyone who has watched Gyokeres play able to tell me why every club in Europe isn't queuing up to buy him? 

His numbers are insane. 

12 minutes ago, Ham said:

Anyone who has watched Gyokeres play able to tell me why every club in Europe isn't queuing up to buy him? 

His numbers are insane. 

Can't say I've ever seen him play but would assume it's the level he's played at.

He done well in the championship and has gone to another level in Portugal but the opposition is arguably worse so difficult to really judge him.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Ham said:

His numbers are insane. 

could have got him for less than Jackson last summer 

Edited by ROTG

8 minutes ago, Ham said:

His numbers are insane. 

I have commented on him before. I seen him quite a bit at Coventry, as I had backed them to get promoted  in his final season there (only to lose the bet on penalty shoot out in play-off final 😞

I can't comment on how his game may have evolved at Sporting, as I have not seen him in action there.

He is a power house of a forward . Very strong and a real handful to play against, he has some pace without being fast.  I find Championship defenders like to play up against strikers in a more direct one v one, and he just killed defenders at that level. The problem for them was if they went tight, he is brilliant at turning defenders with the ball. Suarez was one of the best at this, but Gyokeres has this same ability to hold off defenders and almost clamp them and then roll them. So he would kill them if they went tight, but also kill them if they sat off, because although he is a big lad, he is comfortable at running with the ball and attacking at pace. Championship defenders just could not handle him, so I am not surprised he has done well at Sporting, playing in a slower and less physical league.

The big question is can he translate it to the PL league where his pace and power can be matched by many defenders/midfielders. At times at Coventry, he was still a little raw on occasions and he sometimes tried to do a bit too much. Not in a greedy sense, but cos he was so effective and a threat , it sometimes felt a bit 'Roy of the Rovers' as he just developed to be way too good for that league.

You are probably of similar age to me Ham, so if I was to use a player comparison from the past. I would say Christian Vieri type striker, but obviously so far at a lower level than what Vieri achieved.

It's a difficult one, cos on one hand the next step for him is probably a West Ham type transfer where you can evaluate how he gets on in the PL. However, if he goes there and succeeds, you are then talking close to £100 million to get him out. So do you take the punt now at half that cost, in hope that he can produce at PL level. He does have that Chelsea type striker feel to him, as there are some similarities to Drogba, Costa and Lukaku (though that didnt work) . I think if we were to make a move, I feel we would need to let him play his natural game, as I would have reservations about him fitting in with possession passing football. We would need to replicate the football style we played to get the best out of Drogba/Costa, rather than go down the  route of the mistakes that Tuchel made by trying to turning Lukaku into a pure penalty box striker. A bit like how Emery has changed Watkins to be a much better goalscorer , I don't think this would work with Gyokeres, as his main attributes would end up negated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Have a feeling it will be Sesko. based on nothing at all other than a hunch. 

Everyone saying he wants Arsenal. 

10 minutes ago, Ham said:

Everyone saying he wants Arsenal. 

I've seen the links and my initial reaction was, without having seen much of Sesko in fairness, "shouldn't they be aiming higher?". As in they have been so close two years in a row now that it is clearly worth pushing the boat out and spending big on someone who will make an immediate difference, rather than spending a lesser amount for a 20 year old who has proven fairly little in their career. Sesko to Arsenal feels a bit lacking in ambition for them as a club, so all for it!

• Like 1

I know many won't like this, but from my brief and limited understanding of how I think Maresca will use his main striker. The perfect fit is sat there waiting to be picked up, and he plays just down the road. It's Ivan Toney.

I think the likes of Osimhen, Sesko all have higher ceilings than Toney. However, the here and now is what we really need to start working towards. 

If Maresca's number 9 is someone who can play with his back to goal, drop deep to link up play with our attacking midfielders, thus creating space in behind for players to create problems in those channels, but also be a striker who can get on the end of opportunities in and around the goal.

Then that man is Ivan Toney. 

I have only seen bits of Sesko and quite like him, I thought he had a bit about him when we faced Salzburg in Champions League. I don't really know his all round game well enough.

Osimhen is a real handful and sharp finisher, but he tends to often be on the turn looking to run in behind. I think he is game is more similar to a Lukaku striker. He can link up play, but is more effective using his pace and movement with some space to run into. That just doesn't seem to fit the profile of what we want or need.

Toney just seems to slot in like a jigsaw piece to me.

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, Rick1977 said:

Adding to this his shithousery is something we could do with  

Definitely. I am sick of us being too nice on the pitch. The only players we have with a touch of aggression or ability to flirt with the dark arts of the game are Caicedo, James ,Jackson, Cucurella and Palmer. The rest are all a bit too nice.

6 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Toney would 100% be my choice.

I'm amazed.

4 goals since his return.

No goal since 17th February. 12 consecutive games without a goal.

Sorry, just don't get the appeal. At all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, paulw66 said:

I'm amazed.

Me too and he's an absolute bellend from what I've seen of him. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I'm amazed.

Played with injuries and off the bench in quite a few of those games back end of the season.

I'd rather judge him on his previous 3-4 seasons, as opposed to 12 game run with injuries , off the back of an 8 month suspension.

Price also plays a part here, 12 months back Brentford were quoting £80m. No way was he a deal at that price, but his contract situation is similar to Gallagher's here. The price is likely to be more reasonable for Toney now, quotes of £40-£50m 

Edited by Thiago97

29 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Played with injuries and off the bench in quite a few of those games back end of the season.

11 of the 12 games he played 90 minutes.

In 1 game he played 9 minutes.