CFCnet 23/24 awards - voting OPEN! ×

Transfer Talk Topic

My Blood Is Blue

I can't help but think the Premier Leagues own version of FFP fueled by the threat of those who know nothing of sports, football, or competition in posiitions of authority threatening to being in an even sillier version will kill the Premier league stone dead and play into the hands of jealous foreign club owners who don't care about competition but keeping their clubs rich. 

From what I've seen of him for us, Maatesen hasnt looked anywhere near good enough to suggest he's one for the future. Doing ok in a poor German league and scoring in a CL game doesn't change anything in regards to him being good enough for the ultra fast and intense EPL. However, it is a fair pont to raise questions about us paying £60 million for a replacement who hasn't exactly set the world alight. Cucu has been improving this season though.

Edited by boratsbrother
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Ham said:

I'd keep Chilwell and Cucurella. 

More pressing issues at CB and CF.

It's difficult to do anything with the CBs without taking a massive hit financially - we have Fofana, Badiashile, Disasi, Colwill and Chalobah under contract for next season, plus youngsters Humphreys and Gilchrist. Signing a peak-age CB is going to be both very expensive and require us to sell at least 2 players.

For CF I imagine the club is trying to take the "pure-profit" approach and sell Broja to replace him with someone else, then hope that Nkunku is ready to be an option at no.9 or no.10 next season.

18 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

For CF I imagine the club is trying to take the "pure-profit" approach and sell Broja to replace him with someone else, then hope that Nkunku is ready to be an option at no.9 or no.10 next season.

I read something a couple of weeks ago which said Nkunku's knee is buggered to the point of it being career ending.

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Now Maatsen is scoring in the Champions League QF, are we still gonna sell him in the name of getting a new LB? Doesn't really make sense.. 

He's too short apparently , only 5 ft 6" 

2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

I read something a couple of weeks ago which said Nkunku's knee is buggered to the point of it being career ending.

Apparently untrue.  Just mischief. 

14 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

He's too short apparently , only 5 ft 6" 

Wouldn't be such a problem in isolation if it was just him, however it's an issue when you've got surrounding players in defensive positions that are either undersized or underwhelming aerially themselves. 

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Wouldn't be such a problem in isolation if it was just him, however it's an issue when you've got surrounding players in defensive positions that are either undersized or underwhelming aerially themselves. 

Quite. Not a problem for Ashley Cole playing alongside JT, Carvalho and Ivanovic, with Lampard, Ballack and Drogba in the side

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Chelsea were well represented in the Europa League quarters this year. Unfortunately our discards.

Tomori, Giroud, Pulisisc, Lukaku, loftus Cheek, Tammy, Zappacosta, Pasalic, Salah, Zouma, Emerson, Aubameyang, 

48 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I really don’t think we should be signing him, especially for the money that we’ll need to pay.

Too right. Another Lukaku situation in the making! 

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Too right. Another Lukaku situation in the making! 

Lukaku was a once in a lifetime situation. Even compared to our other failed strikers he was unique - he completely threw us under the bus. Really strange comparison.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I really don’t think we should be signing him, especially for the money that we’ll need to pay.

Not sure why. There seems to be a common view on here that he's not very good but it seems to be collective agreement based on few facts

13 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Not sure why. There seems to be a common view on here that he's not very good but it seems to be collective agreement based on few facts

I think he's very good, but as the season has gone on it seems that goalscoring is not the main issue at the club, and that this money would be better spent elsewhere - mainly on a new medical and fitness department!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

I think he's very good, but as the season has gone on it seems that goalscoring is not the main issue at the club, and that this money would be better spent elsewhere - mainly on a new medical and fitness department!

Was going to put an emoticon biut was torn between knowing whether to laugh or cry. We have a ridiculous number of long term injuries, Are Lavia Nkunku and Fofana still on our books!!!!???

2 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Personally, I don't think we should be spending the sort of money mentioned on him. My reason for this is partly that I'm not convinced he is worth it, but my main reason is that any money spent should be spent elsewhere first, most importantly on a new CB and following that an experienced midfielder that can help us control games and manage games better. Once we nail these signings, then I'd turn to a striker, but it still wouldn't be Osimhen, purely because of the cost.

Goal scoring isn't our big issue anymore, although it is quite reliant on one man at the moment, but if he maintains this level then we should build the attack around him and actually, someone like Jackson is quite a good option to play with Palmer as he's willing to work hard and link up play, being the man for Palmer to play off.

• Agree 1