Kai Havertz

JaneB

15 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Get rid , he's awful . If we can get half what we paid for him from Bayern Munich it's ten times what he's worth . 

He doesn't seem to understand that he is playing as a striker. He keeps trying to play the position he wants, rather than the one he is being selected to play. 

Just now, CarefreeMuratcan said:

He doesn't seem to understand that he is playing as a striker. He keeps trying to play the position he wants, rather than the one he is being selected to play. 

I've actually started to hate him .

I want him gone as quickly as possible 

21 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I want him gone as quickly as possible 

I wouldn't say I hate him myself, but he is an incredibly frustrating player.

Quite clearly not a CF do that doesn't help his cause, yet he's not good enough in the other areas of his game to nail down a specific position either. His link play at times can be alright, but it's a complete lucky dip on what sort of first touch or pass will come at the end. 

1 minute ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Despite the criticisms above which I agree with, funny thing is but for a bit of rub of the green he could have won us 3 games in a row. Palace winner, Liverpool VAR decision and tonight hit the post. 

Could've, might've, didn't.  Same old, same old......

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I can't imagine you hating anyone Mark - but I get what you mean.He floats like a butterfly and stings like one.

The thing is i think he tries!,but god almight his attributes could be documented on a postage stamp.

One of the most frustrating players we’ve had in recent times. He can do the sublime at times (his goal vs Newcastle), but more often than not he just doesn’t make an impact.

Its been touched on above, but I think his biggest problem is that he doesn’t actually have a position. He’s not a winger, he’s not a striker, he’s not a CM and he isn’t really a no. 10 either. So where the hell do you play him?

If he was good enough he’s the kind of player you’d give a free role to and tell to float around and impact the game from wherever you can, but he just isn’t good enough or intelligent enough for that.

I think we may well cash in on him during the summer.

• Like 2

Think I said it on the old forum, but for me there's something there that we are never going to see. Can imagine him going to Bayern and looking absolutely class, but can't imagine that happening here. We're clearly building for pace and power with the signings we've made and he will not fit into that. 

Just now, thevelourfog said:

Think I said it on the old forum, but for me there's something there that we are never going to see. Can imagine him going to Bayern and looking absolutely class, but can't imagine that happening here. We're clearly building for pace and power with the signings we've made and he will not fit into that. 

Completely agree. He did well in Germany before moving here but for some reason can’t seem to do it in the Premiership.

• 1 month later...

I hate to be negative after a win today, but I am very concerned about Havertz. I am pretty certain that he's making us less likely to score, not more likely to.

He, rarely makes good runs, has a habit of positioning himself well outside of the box when he's needed in it, seems to drop so deep there are no options for anyone from crosses, occasionally even stands on the side of the box nearest Chilwell/James, and is a mediocre finisher at best. 

Some of this may be limitations with his ability. But to be fair to him, it could also be coaching. I can't tell if he's being told to play as a false 9 or a standard 9, and maybe it hasn't been made clear to him either. However, it is quite painfully obvious that we need to be playing an actual striker (a standard 9). People will say that we don't have one and it was a mistake not to sign one... but we did! In fact, we signed two: Aubameyang and D.D. Fofana. I know neither of them are likely to set the world alight and there are some issues with Auba, but SURELY either would be preferably to what Havertz is doing right now?

Bench Havertz, bring him on as a sub occasionally for Felix or something. Unfortunately we'll have no choice but to persist with him in the CL it seems.

I watched him in Germany and, to be honest, I genuinely thought we'd signed a generational talent. I was beyond excited to see him in blue. However, whatever his potential actually is, he simply hasn't displayed it at Chelsea beyond small flashes (Newcastle goal at home for instance). I hope he turns it around.

Guest mrsm81

Sell. So many appearances, rubbish product. Let him go to a smaller league and he ll score loads. Why 70m? I did honestly believe he'd be a great signing, my nephew assured me of it! (Fifa) Nope. Get rid. 35m towards an actual goalscorer 

On 05/03/2023 at 08:26, Proud-Blue said:

I hate to be negative after a win today, but I am very concerned about Havertz. I am pretty certain that he's making us less likely to score, not more likely to.

He, rarely makes good runs, has a habit of positioning himself well outside of the box when he's needed in it, seems to drop so deep there are no options for anyone from crosses, occasionally even stands on the side of the box nearest Chilwell/James, and is a mediocre finisher at best. 

Some of this may be limitations with his ability. But to be fair to him, it could also be coaching. I can't tell if he's being told to play as a false 9 or a standard 9, and maybe it hasn't been made clear to him either. However, it is quite painfully obvious that we need to be playing an actual striker (a standard 9). People will say that we don't have one and it was a mistake not to sign one... but we did! In fact, we signed two: Aubameyang and D.D. Fofana. I know neither of them are likely to set the world alight and there are some issues with Auba, but SURELY either would be preferably to what Havertz is doing right now?

Bench Havertz, bring him on as a sub occasionally for Felix or something. Unfortunately we'll have no choice but to persist with him in the CL it seems.

I watched him in Germany and, to be honest, I genuinely thought we'd signed a generational talent. I was beyond excited to see him in blue. However, whatever his potential actually is, he simply hasn't displayed it at Chelsea beyond small flashes (Newcastle goal at home for instance). I hope he turns it around.

He is a worry and has been for awhile. Where my concerns mainly rest though are with what type of player he is when in the right setting. He's obviously not a striker, he's not a winger, nor a CM. This leaves virtually that central attacking midfield position which for me he lacks the passing, creativity, and vision to truly excel in. I suppose you could play him off a proper CF in a second striker type of role, but again the lack of guile he presents doesn't encourage. I just don't know where he really fits even if we had all the required pieces around him. 

I'm not going to grill him too heavily about his efforts as a striker because at the end of the day I've never expected him to have the movement, goal scoring ability,  or feel for the game in that position.

There's a player in there, and I think he's a handy enough squad player to have, but given what we paid it's hard not to have expected significantly more in a general sense.  I can certainly see us explore his market in the summer. He's not the first player I'd be actively trying to part with, but if we manage to bin those we need and have the time then I can see us maybe looking to make something happen. 

8 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

This leaves virtually that central attacking midfield position which for me he lacks the passing, creativity, and vision to truly excel in. I suppose you could play him off a proper CF in a second striker type of role, but again the lack of guile he presents doesn't encourage. I just don't know where he really fits even if we had all the required pieces around him. 

This has always been my issue with Kai. I felt he needed to make it work as a striker using his touch, height and relative pace or not at all. I'm not fully sold on Felix but you only have to look at the creativity he provides to see what a second striker/number 10 should add to a side and Kai doesn't have that magic.

Will go down as one of my greatest disappointments in a signing. I'd watched him a lot and was convinced he would go on to become one of the best players in the world, he was so highly rated, so it wasn't just me,  I genuinely thought we had  signed a proper gem.

I do still think he could go elsewhere and kick on but he is never going to get anywhere near the level his early potentially promised and certainly not suited to this league.

As disappointing as it is for me to say, we quite simply have to sell this summer.

3 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Will go down as one of my greatest disappointments in a signing. I'd watched him a lot and was convinced he would go on to become one of the best players in the world, he was so highly rated, so it wasn't just me,  I genuinely thought we had  signed a proper gem.

I do still think he could go elsewhere and kick on but he is never going to get anywhere near the level his early potentially promised and certainly not suited to this league.

As disappointing as it is for me to say, we quite simply have to sell this summer.

He will go to RM and become the WC player we know is there, because RM will build a team around him.

IMO he is the nearest thing to LeTissier I have seen on these shores.