Chelsea Finances Thread

Bob Singleton

4 hours ago, ROTG said:

Also where is 2 billion coming from to build rebuild the stadium?

It's coming from the owners, as part of the covenant agreed with the previous owner when they purchased the club. There were several clauses which included not being allowed to sell the club for 10 years and spending a minimum £1bn on Stamford Bridge, Cobham and any facilities used by the women's' team.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 28/03/2023 at 03:29, Michael Tucker said:

It's not just Potter though, is it? What on earth is Boehly doing? We're in a dire situation right now, aren't we?

How so?

Win a few more games, and everything looks very different. Funny how the off field noise gets louder when results are poor. 

On 28/03/2023 at 08:47, Ham said:

Other clubs know this and will low ball us. We're going to get fleeced. 

Any sale in the summer whether 29 June or 2 July will count toward next year. You can't fudge a year by selling a load of players on 30 June and signing new ones on 1 July 

On 28/03/2023 at 12:28, ROTG said:

Spot on 

It's not. If wel get "fleeced" it will be purely because we have too many players, and the buying clubs will know that we are keen to sell. 

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Any sale in the summer whether 29 June or 2 July will count toward next year. You can't fudge a year by selling a load of players on 30 June and signing new ones on 1 July 

Apparently we are in danger of FFP failure for the reporting period up to 30 June, hence why we need to bring in a certain amount before that date. 

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

t's not. If wel get "fleeced" it will be purely because we have too many players, and the buying clubs will know that we are keen to sell.

No it’s down poor management from above 

a) for paying stupid money non essential players in January. 

b) hiring an incompetent coaching team. 

Edited by ROTG
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

How would a few wins change our balance sheet?

A lot more wins would, I'll give you that.

It won't change the balance sheet, but it would quieten the noise.... When results are good, everything looks better. 

• 2 weeks later...

If we consider we needed to pay £60m fo Cucurella as we were replacing Alonso and the markets knew this then conversely we will struggle to get good money for any we seek to move on early to address FFP as again the market will know this.

The exception might be where there is more than one suitor.

Boehly and Co have got off to a terrible start, I think this summer clear-out and new player acquisitions may be their last chance to turn us around successfully due to FFP restrictions. If they get it wrong likely we will be looking at using development squad options

I now start to partly understand the motive for the Super League.

On 09/04/2023 at 12:28, Bob Singleton said:

The above is just the first tweet. I would normally have used the Threadreader App to unroll the full thread, but Elon Musk has continued interfering in how Twitter works, so this solution isn't currently available.

Maybe someone who understands this better can help here, but why does it quote the operating loss, and then talk about the player sales as an almost afterthought, like it is something entirely different? 

Why doesn't it just say the operating loss was 114m? 

Just now, paulw66 said:

Maybe someone who understands this better can help here, but why does it quote the operating loss, and then talk about the player sales as an almost afterthought, like it is something entirely different? 

My guess is that £235M loss is sexier and gets those anti Chelsea clicks a clicking better than £114M losses would. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I suspect they are trying to distinguish between pure p&l and balance sheet transactions. 

1 minute ago, Sciatika said:

I suspect they are trying to distinguish between pure p&l and balance sheet transactions. 

Sorry, but I am still none the wiser.

Surely the losses include player purchases, so why ring fence player sales?

I am saying that it may simply be a presentation issue. Maybe they think separating the income received from merchandising, ticket sales, media revenues and so on from that which arises from interest receipts/payments and profit from player transfers makes it easier to understand what the sources of profit and loss are. But it is just a guess (and not necessarily a good one).

Technological rather than a financial/sponsorship relationship, but no doubt all with a view to increasing revenue platforms in the long run

❝Chelsea Football Club has entered into a seven-year partnership agreement with technology sports and entertainment firm Tempus Ex Machina to help develop new and innovative ways to engage with their fans.❞

https://insidersport.com/2023/04/12/chelsea-agrees-partnership-tempus-ex/

@Bison  No, nothing as yet. There was talk about various crypto-currency sponsors on the sleeves, but that has died down recently. As for who replaces 3, not a hint from anywhere. Either a deal has been done and they've managed to keep it quiet or - more likely - our roller-coaster season has made selling shirt sponsorship harder. I wouldn't be surprised if, for the sake of expediency, we see 3 given an extra couple of years in the hope that by this time next year we're going great guns in the PL, looking certain to qualify for the CL for the following season, an elite-level coach at the helm who has got a youngish group of players all gelling as one. That would make selling sponsorship a lot easier!

Edited by Bob Singleton
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Rumours that Fernández has already signed a new contract/extension. Hard to understand why we'd offer one beyond being completely f**ked in FFP terms.

Because the rules on long term deals are about to change so maximising what's allowed now?

The last 15 months have been one WTF story after another and here's another🤕

This is ownership is going one of two ways. They are either completely out of their depths and going to ruin us financially for years to come, or, they are the smartest guys in town and and reinventing the ways on how to run a top football club.

Edited by boratsbrother

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Rumours that Fernández has already signed a new contract/extension. Hard to understand why we'd offer one beyond being completely f**ked in FFP terms.

32 minutes ago, Ham said:

Because the rules on long term deals are about to change so maximising what's allowed now?

Yeah possibly a bit of that,  but feels a bit more knee-jerk to me…. Wonder if it’s to offset the cost of paying Potter off / they’ve finally realised we’re not going to get CL football next season and preparing the accounts accordingly?

We certainly have the old Chelsea back in terms of riling up the opposition and media. Quite enjoy being the enemy of football again! 

I’ve got it.

The Boehly answer to FFP.

Clever. Very clever.

Groundbreaking in fact.

The EPL will now have a massive loophole to try and fill as a result.

It goes like this…

We don’t have to comply with the EPL FFP if we are not in the EPL! It’s genius.