CFCnet 23/24 awards - RESULTS ARE IN!! ×

Who will the next permanent Chelsea manager be?

Who should be next Chelsea manager?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• Julian Nagelsmann
    • Bruno Saltor
    • Brendan Rodgers
    • Luis Enrique
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Diego Simeone
    • John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Ruben Amorim
    • Thomas Frank
    • Hansi Flick
    • Antonio Conte
    • Marco Silva
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Marco Bielsa

This poll is closed to new votes

8 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Listen to interviews with him. I think he has far more gravitas than Potter.

He's got that slight edge to him - when he speaks - you listen.

I thought he was a complete loser until I listened to him open his mouth.

I’ve no doubt Nagelsmann would be an upgrade on Potter. But I just think we’d me mad to look past Luis Enrique when he’s available and practically begging to come to the Premier League. 

3 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

My 96 year old nan would do a better job.

Some of the wisest people I have met are old ladies. Probably not a football manager among them.

Edited by Sciatika
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

It's a different time now. 
Rumours are Poch doesn't want the Chelsea job anyway because of the links.

Look I'm going to shamelessly move the goalposts and switch to his qualities -

Most overrated manager of the last decade BY FAR. He has nothing about him to succeed at the highest level. Nothing. He's another overhyped bottle job who has the charisma of a wet flanel. No wonder he can't win anything.

Couldn't win the league with PSG? An absolute joke!!!

Anyone for me but Poch. Literally anyone. 

I'd easily take Bielsa or even Postecoglou. My 96 year old nan would do a better job.

Pretty ridiculous comments really. He’s been followed at Spurs by two serial winners in Jose and Conte……Yet neither of them could match he job Poch did there, and he started from a lower starting point when he took the job, compared to both of them.

1 minute ago, Sciatika said:

Some of the wisest people I have met are old ladies. Probably not a football manager among them.

Nothing against my nan. Love women - love older people. Totally agree - oldies are wisies and women should run more of our governments / organizations etc. too!!! (maybe the majority of tbh.

My nan still wouldn't fail to win the league with PSG though. And she has dementia.

• Haha 2

Just now, Thiago97 said:

Pretty ridiculous comments really. He’s been followed at Spurs by two serial winners in Jose and Conte……Yet neither of them could match he job Poch did there, and he started from a lower starting point when he took the job, compared to both of them.

Are you describing your own comment you were about to write?

Jose was past it and was never going to be a fit for Spurs.

Conte needed a lot of money and they wouldn't back him to the hilt. He had a lot of family / personal issues and wants to go back to Italy.

Spurs fans would NEVER build a Klopp-style legacy and bond with Jose.

NEVER!

That's what we want for our next manager - 5-10 years+ - absolute bond with the fans and cultural fit.

That could never be Poch. Never. We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

There's a reason many of us had HUGE doubts about how Potter would look in the Chelsea dugout. There's a reason why many of us have huge doubts about how Poch would look too too.

Poch will never be our Jürgen Klopp. Never! We need our Jürgen Klopp!!!

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

Conte needed a lot of money and they wouldn't back him to the hilt. He had a lot of family / personal issues and wants to go back to Italy.

NEVER!

That's what we want for our next manager - 5-10 years+ - absolute bond with the fans and cultural fit.

There's a reason many of us had HUGE doubts about how Potter would look in the Chelsea dugout. There's a reason why many of us have huge doubts about how Poch would look too too.

So Jose was past it, yet you have just posted how you want him here!

Just bizarre ramblings…..

2 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

So Jose was past it, yet you have just posted how you want him here!

Just bizarre ramblings…..

He is past it. Short-term fix for us. Great cultural fit and would reconnect the fans to the club and the manager.

Would do a job for a couple of years.

11 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

THE DEFINITIVE LIST (in order:)

1) Jose
2) Carlo
3) Conte
4) Flick
5) Enrique

(Mainly Jose, tbh!)

2 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

NEVER!

You won't be getting 'our Jürgen Klopp' from that list. They literally all spend 2 or 3 years, if that,  at a club and move on.

Ironically Poch spent more time at Tottenham than any of the manages you listed have at any club, apart from Ancelotti 20 years ago.

Pochettino is the only one on that list that comes close to resembling Klopp, in terms of building something and longevity.

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

He is past it. Short-term fix for us. Great cultural fit and would reconnect the fans to the club and the manager.

Ok it’s clear now. You want a manager who you believe is past it, on a short term fix for a couple of years!

FFS I am pleased you are not on the decision making committee!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Yet you don't want Poch as you want the next manager to be here for the next 5-10 years and be 'our Jürgen Klopp'

1 minute ago, Thiago97 said:

Ok it’s clear now. You want a manager who you believe is past it, on a short term fix for a couple of years!

FFS I am pleased you are not on the decision making committee!

I say "past it". I should say he's past his best. He's not so past it that he couldn't do a job.

With us he would be a huge cultural figure and have massive support of the fans.

Unlike with Spurs where they were always like "this is weird having a Chelsea manager".

Imagine how Lampard would have done at Spurs.

He did half decent with us because he had the full backing of the fans every single week.

2 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Yet you don't want Poch as you want the next manager to be here for the next 5-10 years and be 'our Jürgen Klopp'

Don't get me wrong.

Preferably, I want a long-term manager to be put in place.

But not if that means choosing anyone who will stay here long-term for the sake of long-termism.

Preference? Nagelsmann because he could definitely stay long-term and he's elite.

If not? Jose on a short-term fix and then look for a long-term manager again in two years.

Definitely would take Jose over De Zerbi, for example.

Right now we need a winner and we can't afford another loser (aka Poch).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

I’ve no doubt Nagelsmann would be an upgrade on Potter. But I just think we’d me mad to look past Luis Enrique when he’s available and practically begging to come to the Premier League. 

Enrique was my number one, by far before Nagelsmann became available, would still be very happy with him.

To be fair, Poch, Nagelsmann or Enrique will be a massive upgrade and almost guarantee too 4 next season.

Even Pochettino as a pundit was terrible. Yes he has poor English, but he also has a terribly nervous energy.

None of that absolute killer calm confidence that the biggest personalities in the game have.

Don't get me wrong I am sure he's a perfectly nice guy. Not at Chelsea though! 

Disaster waiting to happen.

Hmmmm.    I look at the options and I would probably pump for Naglesmann.  However I certaninly know who I don't want.

Bruno Saltor, who?  Brendan Rodgers?  Better off employing Buck Rodgers!  Luis Enrique?  Just a  Graham Potter with a degree, plays endless passing football with no end product, as we saw in the World Cup with Spain.  Zidane?  Can't coach to save his life outside his Real Madrid cushy number.  Pochettino?  A serial choker and loser.  Mourinho?  Conte?  Never go back to your toxic ex-lover.  Simeone?  Doesn't watn to to com here, and his football is awful to watch.  Postecoglu?  Do me a favour, he's in a pub league, and  winning league titles in a pub league isn't worthy of consideration.  JT?  Love him to bits, proper Chelsea legend, but he has no managerial experience, and after seeing what happened to Robbie and Frank, it would hurt to see another legend being sacked. 

I think k the idea of a manager being here for years and years is pie in the sky. 

I feel its better to get the right people in behind the scenes and get the business side running properly and hire coach's / managers as we see fit with a club vision they have to abide with. 

It works for Bayern Munich and Real Madrid so can't see why it wouldn't work here. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, blueandproud said:

Hmmmm.    I look at the options and I would probably pump for Naglesmann.  However I certaninly know who I don't want.

Bruno Saltor, who?  Brendan Rodgers?  Better off employing Buck Rodgers!  Luis Enrique?  Just a  Graham Potter with a degree, plays endless passing football with no end product, as we saw in the World Cup with Spain.  Zidane?  Can't coach to save his life outside his Real Madrid cushy number.  Pochettino?  A serial choker and loser.  Mourinho?  Conte?  Never go back to your toxic ex-lover.  Simeone?  Doesn't watn to to com here, and his football is awful to watch.  Postecoglu?  Do me a favour, he's in a pub league, and  winning league titles in a pub league isn't worthy of consideration.  JT?  Love him to bits, proper Chelsea legend, but he has no managerial experience, and after seeing what happened to Robbie and Frank, it would hurt to see another legend being sacked. 

On Enrique, you are putting two and two together and getting six.

His teams are versatile in style and not endless passing at all. Your talking about a guy who took over at Barca, with all their grandiose posturing as a club and he pretty much killed teams with counter attack football.

He is not possession tiki taka week in week out passing from side to side. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Don't get me wrong.

Preferably, I want a long-term manager to be put in place.

But not if that means choosing anyone who will stay here long-term for the sake of long-termism.

Preference? Nagelsmann because he could definitely stay long-term and he's elite.

If not? Jose on a short-term fix and then look for a long-term manager again in two years.

Definitely would take Jose over De Zerbi, for example.

Right now we need a winner and we can't afford another loser (aka Poch).

I don't agree that we need a winner right now. Right now we need to get back into the champions league and go from there.

We have assembled a very young squad that will take a while to turn into a team that can challenge for the league, if at all, we need someone to improve them and nurture them and turn them into potential title challengers, not someone like Conte who would want to rip it apart and do it all his own way.

1 minute ago, Thiago97 said:

On Enrique, you are putting two and two together and getting six.

His teams are versatile in style and not endless passing at all. Your talking about a guy who took over at Barca, with all their grandiose posturing as a club and he pretty much killed teams with counter attack football.

He is not possession tiki taka week in week out passing from side to side. 

Bit unfair to call it counter attacking, agree it wasn't tika taka, like Pep but I wouldn't have called it counter attacking either. 

I always thought of his Barcelona team as a bit of a throwback, a bit like Ferguson's great United sides, and thoroughly enjoyed watching them. I'd go as far as saying ,as I'm not a fan of modern football, that they were one of my favourite teams, to watch,  of recent times.

5 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

I don't agree that we need a winner right now. Right now we need to get back into the champions league and go from there.

We have assembled a very young squad that will take a while to turn into a team that can challenge for the league, if at all, we need someone to improve them and nurture them and turn them into potential title challengers, not someone like Conte who would want to rip it apart and do it all his own way.

I can agree that Conte might be too much of a risk.

2 hours ago, chara said:

Stick to your guns son..... this is a Forum of FREE SPEECH not PC correctness!

Having said that I've already got my pitchfork and passport at the ready!😁

"PC Correctness" is an example of Redundant Acronym Syndrome or RAS Syndrome for short. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ham said:

"PC Correctness" is an example of Redundant Acronym Syndrome or RAS Syndrome for short. 

Huh?...but yeah...should have seen that,,,at least the second mistake I have made this busy day!,,,but I saw the other one and couldn't be bothered to change!

Sigh.

6 hours ago, Original 21 said:

Despite a solid enough CV on face value, there's something about Enrique that leaves me less convinced once you do a bit of digging.

He was quite poor at Roma first up, and spent a single season at Celta Vigo and finished 9th - neither stint make him stand out. His time at Barcelona is basically what makes his entire career, but you also need to take that with a bit of a pinch when you consider just how stacked the Barcelona side was during his reign and having arguably one of the best front three's seen in football ever with Messi, Suarez and Neymar. 

His first initial spell with Spain was very good (albeit a small sample size) before he ended up leaving for personal reasons. Since returning I wouldn't say his second spell was anything more than just "okay". Knocked out in the semi-finals of Euro 2020 by Italy, and then knocked out in the R16 at the 2022 World Cup by Morocco. 

He's not been involved at club level since leaving Barca in 2017 either, which some may or may not have an issue with. 

By far and away an upgrade on Potter, just not sure if he's the right man for us. 

• Agree 1