Chelsea 1 Newcastle 1

JaneB

Cant see anything but a loss against Newcastle. Nothing seen under Frank convinces me otherwise. Proves top players do not always become top coaches

Hopes for the summer

• Boehly steps back and lets people who know what they are doing do it
  • Incoming manager gets a say in transfers
  • We ship out a lot more than we buy
  • We get a CF or 2
  • New coach will train the team to get the ball in the box quicker
  • We find a captain to motivate on field. (Love Dave and he still shows heart but his days are limited)
  • I can feel motivated again!

Probably more things but its a start 

21 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

Hopes for the summer

Yes, that sounds like Todd....🤪

Ditto.

Hopefully.

• We get a CF or 2

1 genuine striker would be a start!

25 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

Cant see anything but a loss against Newcastle. Nothing seen under Frank convinces me otherwise. Proves top players do not always become top coaches

Hopes for the summer

• We get a CF or 2
  • We find a captain to motivate on field. (Love Dave and he still shows heart but his days are limited)

I can’t explain or express how much I long to have a player (ideally multiple) that knows how to put the ball I the back of the net. I can’t remember the last time we’d go into a match and I’d be confident ‘player X’ would score, probably not since Costa and even he went hot and cold. It’s depressing seeing how few goals we score and it’s been this way for years and so if a new manager can sort this out, I’ll be incredibly grateful!

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I can’t explain or express how much I long to have a player (ideally multiple) that knows how to put the ball I the back of the net. I can’t remember the last time we’d go into a match and I’d be confident ‘player X’ would score, probably not since Costa and even he went hot and cold. It’s depressing seeing how few goals we score and it’s been this way for years and so if a new manager can sort this out, I’ll be incredibly grateful!

And we always did, Think Costa, Drogba, Dixon, Hasselbank, Gudjohnson, Giroud, Dixon, Zola, Vialli even Torres and further back Osgood or Greaves. They might not score every week but there was always hope.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

All of the transfer talk is about us signing A striker in the summer (alongside a DM and GK) but given Broja’s injury and probable need for a loan, I think we need two. 

Whilst we can get more out of Sterling, Havertz and arguably even Felix if he were to stick around next season,  the reality is that Mudryk and Madueke are unknown quantities.  Nkunku falls into the same category if he joins. 

Pulisic and Ziyech are probably leaving, and Mount’s future is up in the air, so I wonder if there is space in the squad for a Sadio Mane type of player who could do a proper job as a backup centre forward, but also out wide? 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, exiledblue said:

Hopes for the summer

• We get a CF or 2

Re Boehly stepping back.

I say yes and no to that.

Yes, by all means let the "football people" get on with their job of dealing with transfers and day to day football issues.  However, I would very much Boehly to stay as the public face of the club.

Clearlake are in this just to make money, just like the Glaziers. At least with Boehly we know we have someone who's in it for more than that. Though he knows little about football he is a genuine sports fan and you can tell by his face and body language when seen at our games that he's hurting just like the fans. Imho, we need someone with his passion at the front of the club. With time he might be able to foster a bond between fans and owners in the same way the guys at Wrexham have done so brilliantly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob B said:

All of the transfer talk is about us signing A striker in the summer (alongside a DM and GK) but given Broja’s injury and probable need for a loan, I think we need two. 

Whilst we can get more out of Sterling, Havertz and arguably even Felix if he were to stick around next season,  the reality is that Mudryk and Madueke are unknown quantities.  Nkunku falls into the same category if he joins. 

Pulisic and Ziyech are probably leaving, and Mount’s future is up in the air, so I wonder if there is space in the squad for a Sadio Mane type of player who could do a proper job as a backup centre forward, but also out wide? 

We had Werner who could do that and never stopped working. Still  unless we ship out some of the deadwood and get whatever funds we can we will struggle to bring in all the players we need. GK and at least 1 CF is absolute priority I feel.?

3 hours ago, exiledblue said:

And we always did, Think Costa, Drogba, Dixon, Hasselbank, Gudjohnson, Giroud, Dixon, Zola, Vialli even Torres and further back Osgood or Greaves. They might not score every week but there was always hope.

You missed Alan Mayes off that list 😀

Although these end of season dead rubbers tend to be boring draws I can't see beyond another dismal loss. Mad props to anyone who attends the game. Not sure what to expect from the end of game walk around the pitch. Hopefully they won't include the families as it could get a bit personal. I hope Boehly does turn up. He doesn't deserve the rancid criticism he's been subjected to in the media. Yes he's made mistakes, but he's learning from them and at the end of the day (or should that be at the beginning of the day) he did save the club from the knackers yard when we were staring into the abyss. Our squad has been teetering on the edge for years and this season was the perfect storm. Hopefully Pochettino will gaze deeply into the players' eyes and ascertain quickly who will be the chosen ones and swiftly cull the remainder. See you all after the game.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

...Our squad has been teetering on the edge for years and this season was the perfect storm. ....

I was thinking about this earlier. I think something happened after about 2015, where we simply got gradually weaker and weaker. I find it hard to put my finger on it. Our old players seemed to get a lot older, and we replaced players with lower-quality but expensive substitutes, I suspect. Also, we didn't change with the times.

• Agree 4

7 hours ago, xceleryx said:

Goes to show you we've been on the slide for years and aren't more than a  glorified cup side for the most part. 

Too many privileged boys and not enough hard-assed men. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

27 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I was thinking about this earlier. I think something happened after about 2015, where we simply got gradually weaker and weaker. I find it hard to put my finger on it. Our old players seemed to get a lot older, and we replaced players with lower-quality but expensive substitutes, I suspect. Also, we didn't change with the times.

I always thought that when we were in the ascendancy we should have built on things better , instead of players we needed we bought players Abramovich wanted like Sheva and Torres and each season we got progressively worse in small increments until we find ourselves where we are today a cup team who don't win the finals.

• Agree 3

18 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I always thought that when we were in the ascendancy we should have built on things better , instead of players we needed we bought players Abramovich wanted like Sheva and Torres and each season we got progressively worse in small increments until we find ourselves where we are today a cup team who don't win the finals.

As I like to say - you strengthen when you’re peaking, not when you’re creaking.

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

That window when we signed Sidwell, Ben Haim, and Pizarro on free's stand out. Belletti and Malouda were the only worthwhile summer transfers we made, then Anelka in the January window. Wasn't good enough really.

• Agree 1

I’m expecting a young team again, but Silva back in for Fofana.

Kepa

Azpi - Silva - Chalobah - Hall

Gallagher - Enzo - RLC

Madueke - Havertz - Felix

I hope Azpi gets a decent send off today, presuming this is his final game for the club. I also hope that this will be the last time we have to watch Havertz play for us as a striker.

At best 0-0 if Newcastle are on the beach already, at worst… as many goals as they fancy scoring against us. Just want the match over so we can end the season, announce the new manager, start clearing out players and focussing on trying to rebuild next season.

I’ll be at least missing the first half as I’ve instead booked a table at a lovely local pub for Sunday lunch with the family. 

With the younger players Frank will be telling them this is their chance to get noticed and to try and take it. They will take it seriously if they have been frustrated at limited game time this season.

Think we might fluke a narrow win.