Chelsea 2 AFC Wimbledon 1

JaneB

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Carabao Cup 2nd Round match against AFC Wimbledon at Stamford Bridge before, during and after the game.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 19.45 hours on Wednesday, 30th August 2023 (Local UK time/date)

7 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

TV games are:

Salford City v Leeds United

Doncaster Rovers v Everton

I find it baffling ours didn't get picked. Does the AFC Wimbledon romance angle not cut it anymore?

Ah CarefreeM...Chelsea at home?...v  Salford City at home..plucky Northern postmen and bakers v Leeds...myth of gigantic proportions...just the name trumps Wimbledon...and Doncaster ROVERS at home v the media giggle target Everton?...ROVERS alone is enough😁

• Haha 1

How many will Poch rest for this? Based on our injury record, I would imagine as many key players will be rested as possible, however, with the injuries we have, we have limited choice in some positions.

Bergstrom

Gusto - Disasi - Humphreys - Cucurella

Caicedo - Ugochukwu - Gallagher

Madueke - Burstow - Maatsen

That lineup feels about as much as we could rotate, but maybe too risky and too inexperienced, so we may see Chilwell and one of Jackson or Sterling start as well.

Just a thought,,why rotate?....I understand the injury possibility but players go down in training.

Hardly going  to be a log jam of matches going forward...put out a strong side and give the squad more time to gell.

Plus hopefully get a few goals before bringing on fringe development players late on.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

How many will Poch rest for this?

Zero hopefully, Poch has never won anything whilst managing PL teams.  No better than winning a cup early doors especially as no European football. 

Do you think pep will put out a two Bob side? 

Going out in early rounds in both Cups to Man City last season was incredibly frustrating - and even more so because it kills dead any opportunity for the fringe players to get minutes.   I would hate for that to happen again, and therefore would go slightly stronger than some have suggested: 

GK. (Petrovic if he can play) 

Gusto.      Humphreys.    Colwill     Cucerella 

Lavia.     Ugochukwu

Madueke           Gallagher        Maatsen

Broja*

*Burstow if Broja not ready 

10 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Zero hopefully, Poch has never won anything whilst managing PL teams.  No better than winning a cup early doors especially as no European football. 

Does anyone care what Pep does? 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

Does anyone care what Pep does? 

I think you better get back to the TV and watch what is happening to a side the beat  Luton 4-1 two weeks ago. 

so you are saying when JM won his first trophy the league cup, was not a statement and it paved the way for future successes?

13 minutes ago, ROTG said:

I think you better get back to the TV and watch what is happening to a side the beat  Luton 4-1 two weeks ago. 

so you are saying when JM won his first trophy the league cup, was not a statement and it paved the way for future successes?

No. 

What I'm saying is nobody cares what Pep does. 

Thats why that's what I said, and not what you've just changed the goalposts to. 

Winning a trophy is always a worthwhile event , however, one more injury to Enzo or Gusto or Chilwell and that's our season over again before it begins again which has to be in the mind of Poch. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

Yes, but I would be concerned if our current back ups can’t beat a side that finished 21st in League 2 last season. I’d rather give some key players a rest ahead of a PL weekend and bring them off the bench if we really needed.

I’m all for winning a cup, obviously, I want us to win every trophy we have the opportunity to, but with a long list of injuries as it is, I just think a bit of caution is required where we’re able to.

• Agree 2

We have to rotate. 

We have a big squad.

We have a lot of young players.

They NEED to play.

This is not just about this season and a lack of European football so people assume the first 11 should start every game, it's about building a squad for years to come.

Wimbledon at home in the SECOND round of the league cup, will never be a more perfect game to get players some very important minutes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

We have to rotate. 

We have a big squad.

We have a lot of young players.

They NEED to play.

This is not just about this season and a lack of European football so people assume the first 11 should start every game, it's about building a squad for years to come.

Wimbledon at home in the SECOND round of the league cup, will never be a more perfect game to get players some very important minutes.

Agreed. If we can’t handle 6-7 changes at home to a League2 outfit then it’s a bit worrying really.

Perfect chance to give minutes to Maatsen , Les, Lavia, Cucurella , Madueke , Burstow 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Thiago97 said:

Agreed. If we can’t handle 6-7 changes at home to a League2 outfit then it’s a bit worrying really.

Perfect chance to give minutes to Maatsen , Les, Lavia, Cucurella , Madueke , Burstow 

It doesn't help them so much if there isn't an established structure for them to step into. A young player is more likely to show what they can do when asked to play a defined role alongside mostly established first-team players. If you change the entire team when the playing style and structure is still so unclear, you're not giving the youngsters the chance it seems to be.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

It doesn't help them so much if there isn't an established structure for them to step into. A young player is more likely to show what they can do when asked to play a defined role alongside mostly established first-team players. If you change the entire team when the playing style and structure is still so unclear, you're not giving the youngsters the chance it seems to be.

Wholeheartedly agree.
We haven't had a decent game plan since TT before the "Roman crisis".

3 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

Which is why we probably won’t change the whole team I guess (well that, and injuries).   For me, people like Maatsen, Ugochukwu and Lavia must start, but supported by the likes of Gusto, Colwill and Gallagher. 

If we can’t use the three I mentioned in the second round of the league cup against a team that finished 21st in league two last season, they won’t play all season.  It has to be this - or close to - I’d imagine…

Petrovic 

Gusto.      Humphreys.    Colwill.       Cucerella 

Lavia.    Ugochukwu

Madueke.           Gallagher                Maatsen 

Broja 

Caicedo, Jackson and Disasi on the bench if you need them.  Silva, Chilwell and Sterling given the evening off. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Which is why we probably won’t change the whole team I guess (well that, and injuries).   For me, people like Maatsen, Ugochukwu and Lavia must start, but supported by the likes of Gusto, Colwill and Gallagher. 

If we can’t use the three I mentioned in the second round of the league cup against a team that finished 21st in league two last season, they won’t play all season.  It has to be this - or close to - I’d imagine…

Petrovic 

Gusto.      Humphreys.    Colwill.       Cucerella 

Lavia.    Ugochukwu

Madueke.           Gallagher                Maatsen 

Broja 

Caicedo, Jackson and Disasi on the bench if you need them.  Silva, Chilwell and Sterling given the evening off. 

Sorry Disagree,

this Is the best opportunity for winning a trophy this season and the team have only played 3 games. 

you throw a load of youngsters win and in the next round the club draw Chitty or another top team what happens then?

It’s obvious by his selections poch has an idea of his best team, so the more they play the better they will get.  Injuries are an obvious risk, however it’s a home game and the pitch is in pristine condition. 

As poch said this is Chelsea and wining is expected so don’t be surprised if his starting line up is close to the Luton line up. 

Anything else is pure foolishness. Nothing is guaranteed however a good cup before Christmas would be a moral booster, for the fans and team.  

Edited by ROTG
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

Broja not ready until Sep17, earliest

Ah really, that’s a shame, I saw that he was back in full training and hoped he might be ready. 

In which case I’d go Jackson.  Hopefully can get on the scoresheet and we can give Burstow half an hour