Chelsea 1 Brighton & Hove Albion 0

JaneB

I didn't know what to make of the Villa game, I didn't have any expectations really apart from we'll probably have to concede two goals to score one, and because Gusto got sent off I held off from thinking too much about it; going down to 10 men and losing is quite the norm.

Then we not only score but we win this game! Things are looking positive in once sense, but at the same time raised a few questions; the team was mostly picked on resting players, rotating players and availability. Jackson getting on the score sheet is a huge positive, it is however strange that Chilwell, Cucurella, Maatsen and Palmer didn't get in each other's way in this game; could it be that playing 2 full backs, 2 midfielders, 3 attackings mids actually works better than what Poch has been doing so far? What can be said is we have looked better and beat a team who is rated highly by the media and pundits; I'm feeling more confident about the Fulham game, but I'm very well aware that Villa just beat Brighton 6-1 so the confidence isn't as high as it was a few hours ago.

On 28/09/2023 at 13:03, paulw66 said:

I'm amazed that anyone thinks we should have kept Azpi.

Brilliant player and servant, but watching him last year was painful. Legs have gone. 

I’m amazed anyone wouldn’t think he’d be a useful player to have in our squad right now ( bearing in both full backs are predictably sitting on the treatment table. ) 

19 hours ago, Dwmh said:

Not at RM he wasn't (RM not Barca as I said).  Far from it.
But he was in Norway.

He was 15 when Real signed him. It’s impossible to make an accurate prediction at that age. To be fair, I think it’s a hell of an accomplishment from Odegaard that he became the player he did. 

When we signed Havertz he was 21 and had 118 Bundesliga appearances. 

Edit: we’ve signed Paez at 16 (but he can’t join us until he turns 18). Will be interesting to see what becomes of him. My guess? Not the generational prodigy the club hopes for. 

Edited by Sleeping Dave

On 30/09/2023 at 14:39, Gurj SS said:

Brighton have insulted us more than they have their own fans.

How many of our fans  would be shouting for De Zerbi now?

I'm joking of course - but he is an unproven manager with a good, short run.

If Poch fails I would bring in Carlo or Zidane.I would still have little confidence

5 hours ago, kev61 said:

How many of our fans  would be shouting for De Zerbi now?

I'm joking of course - but he is an unproven manager with a good, short run.

If Poch fails I would bring in Carlo or Zidane.I would still have little confidence

No offence Kev, but I would hope these two are not in the frame. I also think they would not be interested too.

Carlo is a fantastic manager, but he is not a builder and has no real interest working with a large group of young players like we have right now. He has nothing on his CV that suggests this is where his strengths are. He works extremely well with proven top level players. I think he would have zero interest in managing this group at Chelsea, though he may consider it in 5-6 years time (presuming our players grow into what we all hope they will)

Zidane has a much smaller CV as a manager, but it also mirrors Carlo's so far really. He will of surely had offers since leaving Madrid, yet he still has not taken a job. That don't feel like someone who is desperate to be a manager to me, and he is probably waiting to get another crack at Madrid. Personally, I cannot see a challenge of the scale of Chelsea right now, being of any interest at all. I would also doubt he has the credentials to do it successfully, as he has nothing on his managerial CV that is close to replicating what he would be inheriting at Chelsea.

On 01/10/2023 at 03:18, NoblyBobly said:

I’m amazed anyone wouldn’t think he’d be a useful player to have in our squad right now ( bearing in both full backs are predictably sitting on the treatment table. ) 

Well, I don't think he is particularly useful any more. That's just age. 

We have 3 left backs, 2 right backs (plus Trev and Disasi). Plenty enough. 

• Agree 1