Chelsea 1 Brighton & Hove Albion 0

JaneB

Some reflections on game - for me, a win is a win. What I always argued with @xceleryx, I don't really care or trust "signs of progression", I care about results. So, if we play like that in our next two and win them both, brilliant. 

I found it an incredibly strange match. Brighton were woefully bad and we weren't much better - the refs were even worse. It was pleasing to see the fans support the team though. I truly believe the animosity has been directed at the owners rather than the players. 

Honestly, I didn't see much yesterday to suggest we'll get a win against Fulham. But hopefully the players have gained confidence and can even push on from here. There are some really likeable lads - Jackson in particular - loved that celebration.

3 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Perhaps the medical staff could have a quiet word in in PTs ear that when possible get him Chilwell off after 75 mins. We could save ourselves a lot of agro. 

MP was doing it at the start of the season - He took both James and Chilwell off towards the end of at least one game.

A cold eyed question...do we want./need  to keep two top class sellable assets who have maybe a 40% of the season fully fit selection status and potentially about 60-75 minute game time?

"When fit" seems to be a constant theme when discussing the inclusion in the "Best" line up of Chilly and Reece.

Total agreement regarding their importance "When Fit" but how can any coach get a settled defence system when forever making adjustments for the absence of two first choice (at any club arguably) players who are not available for a lot of the season...this has been a recurring issue for how long?...not suddenly an issue this season..and tha;s without the appalling attrition rate Chelsea players seem to be involved in regarding injuries.

Another cold eyed question...are they both eyeing an exit strategy?

Asking for a friend...

If both return and contribute properly then ultimately ignore this post but at least think about it...

37 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I always thought he was great when I saw him play for City, thought they were mad to sell him. He's going to be a megastar. 

Early days but is he a tougher more realistic version of the Havertz we thought Chelsea had purchased ?

Seems to not have the "entitlement" air that Havertz always seem to carry however unstated.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

It was pleasing to see the fans support the team though. I truly believe the animosity has been directed at the owners rather than the players. 

Many fans who have been priced out of going see a chance to go in the early cup rounds when tickets are cheaper and easier to come by. 

Not saying it is the only explanation, but can potentially be be a part?

32 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Many fans who have been priced out of going see a chance to go in the early cup rounds when tickets are cheaper and easier to come by. 

Not saying it is the only explanation, but can potentially be be a part?

Could be. Seemed like some of the fans were bemused at times by how we played because there were some absolutely comical moments. And the fact we actually scored in September is also a comical thing to celebrate. 

The stadium was dead silent for much of the game but then picked up when we scored.

I don't think anyone's getting carried away. But these are young lads thrown into an impossible situation by our owners, I was pleased to see them lap up the appreciation because a vital part of us recovering is the connection to the fans.

Nothing I saw made me less worried about the coming weeks. But it's genuinely so rare to enjoy a win, especially against Brighton, that I think we all forgot where we are for a night and took the rare opportunity to cheer actually winning.

51 minutes ago, chara said:

Early days but is he a tougher more realistic version of the Havertz we thought Chelsea had purchased ?

Seems to not have the "entitlement" air that Havertz always seem to carry however unstated.

He looks to be alive too which for a footballer is a bonus. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Quietly positive about Palmer. Looks a player.

Drifted out of the game in patches, very young but gifted. Always gives the crowd a clap and offers his thanks without prompting by others win, draw or lose. A nice trait to have.

As someone else mentioned, the little nudged ball through the defenders legs for the goal was just perfect. The pace of the ball just said 'on a plate for you Nico'.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

You can tell he came from an elite acamdey, like most of our young players.

Then you look at somebody like Mudryk and it's clear just how underdeveloped he is both tactically and technically. His understanding of where and when to run, always looking for ball to feet despite being the fastest player on the pitch, hurdling over tackles in the box instead of playing for the penalty and the list goes on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Bison said:

Then you look at somebody like Mudryk and it's clear just how underdeveloped he is both tactically and technically. His understanding of where and when to run, always looking for ball to feet despite being the fastest player on the pitch, hurdling over tackles in the box instead of playing for the penalty and the list goes on.

Good points,,,thanks for bringing it up..worth a thought.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bison said:

This is bang on.   Palmer uses his body so well to shimmy or to buy himself some time and space.  Very composed.

Mudryk on the other hand, lacks the basics like how to shield space using his body when he’s about to receive the ball.  Goes inside too much and therefore is easier to read.  And totally agree that he needs to make more runs off the ball.   He will only improve with game time though 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Rob B said:

This is bang on.   Palmer uses his body so well to shimmy or to buy himself some time and space.  Very composed.

Mudryk on the other hand, lacks the basics like how to shield space using his body when he’s about to receive the ball.  Goes inside too much and therefore is easier to read.  And totally agree that he needs to make more runs off the ball.   He will only improve with game time though 

i am still open minded but they did always say that about Adama Traore.  And he spent 11 years at Barcelona.
Maybe it was just too easy for them.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

i am still open minded but they did always say that about Adama Traore.  And he spent 11 years at Barcelona.
Maybe it was just too easy for them.

Yep fair.   I should have been more specific….He will inevitably improve, but whether it will be to the degree we’ll require, remains to be seem.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think if we're fair he's getting better every game .

Seems to be the case, way to go yet. But, even the body language seems a little better. 

Still a youngster in terms of games played and joined us at the worst moment in terms of recent form and spirit, plus from a war torn country with the concerns that must bring. 

I remember being at L’pool when he made his debut as a substitute and he terrorised them, but lacked a finish. His potential ceiling is far higher than most we’ve signed, the rest is up to him and the coaching/mentality building the club can provide.

10 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Some reflections on game - for me, a win is a win. What I always argued with @xceleryx, I don't really care or trust "signs of progression", I care about results. So, if we play like that in our next two and win them both, brilliant. 

I found it an incredibly strange match. Brighton were woefully bad and we weren't much better - the refs were even worse. It was pleasing to see the fans support the team though. I truly believe the animosity has been directed at the owners rather than the players. 

Honestly, I didn't see much yesterday to suggest we'll get a win against Fulham. But hopefully the players have gained confidence and can even push on from here. There are some really likeable lads - Jackson in particular - loved that celebration.

Don't think anyone will say results aren't important, but they aren't always an accurate indicator either at times. Continuous progression is what will ultimately make us a better side, and so far this season there has been progress made from where we were last campaign despite not getting the points we'd have probably liked, or even deserved.

But yes, this was a scrappy match for both sides. The officiating was some of the worst I've seen, all officials involved looked well out of their depth which isn't encouraging if these refs are to be the next regulars at Premier League level. 

Hopefully we can build on this confidence booster moving forward.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think if we're fair he's getting better every game .

Have been saying he's needed consistent minutes as a starter to build a bit of a platform for himself. Those 10-15 minute cameos off the bench late in games when we're chasing results and have the opposition sitting back with ten men behind the ball was never going to help. 

Obviously still rough around the edges, but the underlying talent is there. I absolute love his quick feet and willingness to take players on, even if it's not always been the right moment or worked out. Have also noticed he's tracking back a bit better now as well. Not all the time, but more than he originally was or really had to do when playing at Shakhtar. 

He's a player that can make something from nothing and gets you a little excited when on the ball - bit of a throwback to Hazard or Zola in that sense. Hopefully he continues to grow, can net that first goal, and really use that as a springboard to become a real menace. 

7 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Really encouraging signs so far. 

Looked more comfortable through the middle then his prior cameos out wider, where I think he lacks that real burst of pace to be a true problem. If he plays wide he's likely to play more in those half spaces, then be that guy who goes down the byline or attacks his fullback. 

My one picky gripe if you will is that he's a bit one footed at times. 

• Like 1