JaneB

Matchday prediction  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Aston Villa win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/01/24 at 18:45

Until we gassed we were better than the fourth placed team in the league. Again, more  signs of genuine progress and already significantly better than we were last season in terms of individual ability and the teamwork as a whole. 

Honestly don't understand why there's still so much negativity towards Poch with his team showing clear signs of progress and promise for the future?????.😟

9 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I glazed over when you started talking about a cricket match somewhere in another continent. Does cricket actually ever stop ?? 

Lol, I wish it didn't!

Best year ever was England playing Australia for approaching 20% of it with the Ashes calendar readjustment!

20 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Could be worse, should’ve taken the chances we had but at least we get another crack at it, brilliant save from Petrovic as well. 

Could be worse. We could be spurs.  

10 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Until we gassed we were better than the fourth placed team in the league. Again, more  signs of genuine progress and already significantly better than we were last season in terms of individual ability and the teamwork as a whole. 

Honestly don't understand why there's still so much negativity towards Poch with his team showing clear signs of progress and promise for the future?????.😟

Just my opinion...There was no attempt by The Poch to change anything other than fresh somewhat ineffectual legs.

He gets paid big bucks to COACH when it matters...it seems to my inexpert eye that player improvement comes from   a better balanced side with players slowly returning from injury ...... I shudder to think how things would be if we lost any 1/2 of Petr Silva Palmer or Conor for example.

Edited by chara
  • Agree 1

Just now, Alex said:

Lol, I wish it didn't!

Best year ever was England playing Australia for approaching 20% of it with the Ashes calendar readjustment!

Oh God don’t start me…, I suppose if you don’t like your wife then become an international cricketer . Those never ending international tours must be a dream to get away from the old battle axe. But I suppose they have to deal with the intense pressure of standing out by a boundary somewhere, with 6 people watching in the crowd , waiting to see if a ball comes rolls their  way. The drama never ends, especially when they play for 4 days and it ends up a draw. Give me strength. 

20 minutes ago, chrisb said:

Run out of wine so hitting the spiced rum. Off to see Depeche Mode tomorrow night so the weekend will get better!

I've never been in a situation where I've run out of wine.

It's all I ever wanted...all I ever needed...unless you wanted to get into the Spiced Rum of course. Enjoy the... Concert!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

I've never been in a situation where I've run out of wine.

It's all I ever wanted...all I ever needed...unless you wanted to get into the Spiced Rum of course. Enjoy the... Concert!

I just can't get enough of these sneaky song titles 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

I got commentary from somewhere. Main talk sport AND 5 live channels both have Spurs game ( plus it’s on tv) !!! Wtf? It’s not like we are plying Scunthorpe, this is a big game. Pathetic . 

Had to watch on bet365 app ….

46 minutes ago, Proud-Blue said:

Finishes 0-0, so a replay unfortunately.

I think we were the better team for about 70 minutes, then we just looked completely gassed.

Can't really complain about the effort and overall play. Just some poor finishing.

Great save from Petrovic too.

We were much better than them in the first half, they were much better than us in the second. Maybe we run out of steam but I don't think thats the case. At all. We saw a completely different Aston Villa in the second half and Pochettino is incapable of reacting. He's fine when things are going well but useless at managing a game of football. 

This game summed him up perfectly manager. No tactical nous whatsoever. He literally just watches things unfold and does absolutely nothing to change it, always has and always will.

Edited by martin1905
  • Agree 2

First hour of the game was really, really good. Certainly one of our most complete since the start of the season. The pressing was terrific, we defended transitions really well, had a scare or two on setpieces (but Villa are so uniquely good at them it's hard to be even mad at that) but controlled them completely. Could have done better against their offside trap to create a bit more, but it was a positive step with this almost regular XI now starting to form legit chemistry and habits together. Doing it against a Top4ish side is also part of that, but this squad needs a signature win eventually.

Then after that, Villa's 10+ days of rest got them back into the game, and it was disappointing yet again that Poch isn't proactive enough with changes to not lose the control of the game. That type of tactical detail is likely why he won't ever be a true elite coach, but for now, it's hard not to admit he has built a cohesive group of 14-15 players, which from pure squad building perspective doesn't make this season a waste no matter what. You can see the numbers starting to form  the matrix so to speak: Enzo and Caicedo together, that back 3 in build-up, the use of width and even false 9 Palmer has been much better than given credit for (he's 21, he'll have good finishing days and bad finishing days).

But cup replays are always bad, to be fair. Especially when you have to go play away from home. We are not to the point of translating these good home showings to solid away performances so winning at Villa Park will be difficult for this side. Then it depends how much hopes you have for the league, if it's low stakes, maybe it's worth it as I imagine Villa also have EL football to focus on.

Gallagher is on the cusp. He's made tremendous strides in possession and I feel crazy that people seem to fail to see it. When Mount developed that half-turn ability is when he was about to be really good for us, and Gallagher has that now in him. What a huge shame another club will get to benefit from his peak years, what a failure. At least with Mount we had seen his very best and gotten a big trophy out of it. Gallagher is going to be beloved by each one of his coaches for the rest of his career.

Very happy to see both Enzo and Caicedo at this level. Fantastic footballers.

Edited by Sabrina F.
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sabrina F. said:

First hour of the game was really, really good. Certainly one of our most complete since the start of the season. The pressing was terrific, we defended transitions really well, had a scare or two on setpieces (but Villa are so uniquely good at them it's hard to be even mad at that) but controlled them completely. Could have done better against their offside trap to create a bit more, but it was a positive step with this almost regular XI now starting to form legit chemistry and habits together. Doing it against a Top4ish side is also part of that, but this squad needs a signature win eventually.

Then after that, Villa's 10+ days of rest got them back into the game, and it was disappointing yet again that Poch isn't proactive enough with changes to not lose the control of the game. That type of tactical detail is likely why he won't ever be a true elite coach, but for now, it's hard not to admit he has built a cohesive group of 14-15 players, which from pure squad building perspective doesn't make this season a waste no matter what. You can see the numbers starting to form  the matrix so to speak: Enzo and Caicedo together, that back 3 in build-up, the use of width and even false 9 Palmer has been much better than given credit for (he's 21, he'll have good finishing days and bad finishing days).

But cup replays are always bad, to be fair. Especially when you have to go play away from home. We are not to the point of translating these good home showings to solid away performances so winning at Villa Park will be difficult for this side. Then it depends how much hopes you have for the league, if it's low stakes, maybe it's worth it as I imagine Villa also have EL football to focus on.

Gallagher is on the cusp. He's made tremendous strides in possession and I feel crazy that people seem to fail to see it. When Mount developed that half-turn ability is when he was about to be really good for us, and Gallagher has that now in him. What a huge shame another club will get to benefit from his peak years, what a failure. At least with Mount we had seen his very best and gotten a big trophy out of it. Gallagher is going to be beloved by each one of his coaches for the rest of his career.

Very happy to see both Enzo and Caicedo at this level. Fantastic footballers.

We may well have some more important players back by then. 

Nkunku and possibly Jackson. Gusto, maybe Lavia.

The later we get in the season, the more confident I become. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chara said:

Just my opinion...There was no attempt by The Poch to change anything other than fresh somewhat ineffectual legs.

He gets paid big bucks to COACH when it matters...it seems to my inexpert eye that player improvement comes from   a better balanced side with players slowly returning from injury ...... I shudder to think how things would be if we lost any 1/2 of Petr Silva Palmer or Conor for example.

It is a flaw in him I won't argue with that! 

However. We know he's not an elite manager and highly unlikely to ever win us the title, but he's not really here to do that, is he?

What most people were hoping for when he was appointed was for Poch to improve the players and the team, hopefully win a Cup and get us back to contending for the CL again, From there on we will probably need a tier one manager to take us to the next level. So far though, Poch is what he was hired to do and  imho, we shouldn't be asking for more than that.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

The drama never ends, especially when they play for 4 days and it ends up a draw. Give me strength. 

Test Cricket is over 5 days, so even more impossibly boring for you.😁

Imho, Test Cricket at its best is as fascinating as any sport. The way it can flow from one side to the other each day and one session to another. Skill, concentration over hours each day often in very hot weather. The hugely important role of the Captain and his tactics. The different types of bowling and styles of batting. 

For me, sporting tedium is F1 - Watching cars go round and round with most exciting hits being how fast they change the tyres.

Basketball - You score, we score, you score, we score, you score.....zzzzzzzz.

American Football - A sport designed for TV to cram in adverts every five mins. 

But as with everything in life, each to their own.🙂

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, chara said:

What?......Chilly on fine but Alfie off?....The Poch has no more imagination than that?

He does not, indeed.

1 hour ago, chara said:

Watching Palmer is a revelation...how often he positions himself to force a defender to lay off elsewhere and think about it.

Amazing what talent, good attitude and good coaching can achieve, just hope that he keeps remembering what Pep taught him and ignores what rubbish dopey b***ocks is saying.

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Test Cricket is over 5 days, so even more impossibly boring for you.😁

Imho, Test Cricket at its best is as fascinating as any sport. The way it can flow from one side to the other each day and one session to another. Skill, concentration over hours each day often in very hot weather. The hugely important role of the Captain and his tactics. The different types of bowling and styles of batting. 

For me, sporting tedium is F1 - Watching cars go round and round with most exciting hits being how fast they change the tyres.

Basketball - You score, we score, you score, we score, you score.....zzzzzzzz.

American Football - A sport designed for TV to cram in adverts every five mins. 

But as with everything in life, each to their own.🙂

Indeed. A day at the Test match is a highlight of my social calendar!

• Like 1

Was at the game. Lot of huff & puff. Another glaring example of not having a competent striker up front. Could have played another 90 minutes and still not scored. Defence is okay, although our goalkeeper won man of the match. Wingers and midfielders are complete trash it's soo painful to watch. Palmer had one of those games. Poch sits on his hands for so long that any changes are completely useless. We are a mid table side and now and again turn over Championship teams. This is not Chelsea. I do not trust the process.

Always the way. Uber efficient in hitting 6 on Tuesday to struggling tonight.

in fairness Martinez is the best keeper in the league. If he played for the scousers you would get continually told that.

Definitely improving but need some strong performances away from home now so match a better home record.

2 hours ago, Bison said:

Badiashile is quality. Crisp passing between the lines, amazing technique let alone for a CB.

As soon as he got swapped across the line he made two howlers, been error free up to then. 

Solid game from Disasi again tonight, unspectacular but solid.

3 minutes ago, east lower said:

As soon as he got swapped across the line he made two howlers, been error free up to then. 

Solid game from Disasi again tonight, unspectacular but solid.

What was the crowd reaction to the game?,,and individual players...I always watch without the sound now...can't take the blathering and "filler" comments....references to past players/games  out of any real context p's me off no end!

2 hours ago, chara said:

I think Raheem should be off soon..not because he is playing badly but I think he's tiring..put a lot of effort in.

He did, did two kilometres trying to run around McGinn’s enormous backside!!

21 minutes ago, chara said:

Absolutely spot on mate. 

He never attempts to change anything because he doesn't know how to. He has always relied on players individual brilliance. Its easy when you have Lloris, Walker, Vertonghen,  Alderweireld,  Eriksen,  Delle,  Dembele, Son, Kane amd whoever else  all at the top of their game. Just pick the team and they do the rest. His utter inability to mange a game lost Spurs the Champions league by not reacting to Liverpool scoring so early and Klopp changing his game plan.

It's not really surprising that we are currently looking better. Caicedo barely had a pre season but has now settled and starting to prove the silly doubters wrong. Enzo is back to playing his best position and has gotten over whatever it was that was clearly affecting him.  Cole palmer is playing a ridiculous level of football for a player of his age. We have a proper goalkeeper,  at long last, but I very much doubt he'd be getting a look in if Sanchez hadn't picked up an injury.

The important thing though is Pochettino was never a long-term solution, the two year contact tells you everything. 

Regardless of all the moaning, all the people that have said Caicedo and Enzo aren't as good as they clearly are, the many people that kicked off about letting Lewis Hall leave and us signing Cole Palmer, the abuse Sterling has received, Connor Gallagher being far better than 99% of Chelsea fans ever thought, regardless of all that and everything else people have got so wrong we are beginning to see signs that we do actually have some very, very good players who are only going to get better and better.

Yes we need some more experience and a proper striker but it's looking like we may well have built the basis of a very young, very talented squad that with a few  additions and the right manager will be something special in a few years time. Just imagine if James and Chilwell can stay fit. And Fofana, you never know those that slated him could be wrong like they have been with so many of our new players. Just imagine a back line of those three plus Colwill with Petr in goal, Enzo and Caicedo sitting infront of them with Sterling, Nkunku and Palmer playing behind a proper striker.  

That's a serious 11, if we get the right striker,  with  Gusto, Disasi, Badiashille, Connor, Lavia, Jackson, Madueke, Sanchez, Chukwuemeka, Mudryk, Cucurella, Ugochukwu to make up the rest of the squad.

I've always maintained the quality of our players have never been the problem, whilst most have moaned about pretty much all.of them.  As much as I don't rate the manager I've changed my mind on him being the problem. He's a stop gap, nothing more, nothing less. He's never been good enough, for where we want to be in a couple of years, and he never will be. BUT it won't be his job when we are there, and we will get there, we have far to many quality players to not. With Klopp leaving,  City will never be as strong as they were, Arsenal and Tottenham being, well Aesenal and Tottenham there will be a place for someone to become the dominate team in the country. A proper striker, a proper manager and one more season after this to get through and our young, insanely talented but inexperienced squad won't be quite so young or inexperienced but will be even more talented and we will be back to where we belong.

#inbohleywetrust

By the way love with you've done calling Petrovic Petr, think it tells me what you think of him as I don't think you would do that if you didn't rate him 💙

16 minutes ago, chara said:

What was the crowd reaction to the game?,,and individual players...I always watch without the sound now...can't take the blathering and "filler" comments....references to past players/games  out of any real context p's me off no end!

It was OK, there wasn’t any murmurings of discontent and the peasants weren’t revolting. Support was ok throughout.

Quiet from both sets of fans at the end,  anti-climatic really. 

To be fair the fans haven’t turned on any players much. There’s been a couple of games where the uneducated have given a bit of stick to Jackson, but nothing like used to happen to the likes of Slavisa Jokanovic (spelling??).

People near me have realised that Broja is a dud and the Coach is not very effective (trying to be the least critical that I can be there). 

Personally thought that Caicedo was effective tonight, got overrun though as he has to do some of Enzo’s work as he can’t get around fast enough if playing a bit deeper. Gallagher started the game in advance of where he is normally positioned.

Villa are a pretty slick side now, some of their movements in midfield are excellent. Emery has done and is doing a very good job. I’d happily do a swap with him for our bloke.

Edited by east lower
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

We were much better than them in the first half, they were much better than us in the second. Maybe we run out of steam but I don't think thats the case. At all. We saw a completely different Aston Villa in the second half and Pochettino is incapable of reacting. He's fine when things are going well but useless at managing a game of football. 

This game summed him up perfectly manager. No tactical nous whatsoever. He literally just watches things unfold and does absolutely nothing to change it, always has and always will.

Yeah. I thought that at 60 mins he might do more than just bring on Chilwell for Gilchrist. Carney anyone? Against his former club? What was the point of bringing him on with one minute to go? And that after you’ve brought on Mudryk and Broja to run around like headless chickens for ten minutes. It was just baffling.