JaneB

Matchday prediction  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Aston Villa win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/01/24 at 18:45

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our FA Cup 4th Round match against Aston Villa at Stamford Bridge before, during and after the game.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 19:45 hours on Friday, 26th January 2024 (Local UK time/date) 

Hi Folks 

I come in peace. 
I’m a Villa season ticket holder with my son and we’ve managed to get some tickets for the cup game next week. 
my lad is proper made up to get away tickets as you just can’t get them for prem games so we’re really looking forward to the game  especially coming to a proper ground like Stamford bridge.

I was just hoping for a bit of travel info. 

Ideally we want to come down by train.
No hassle and only £30 return for the two of us 🤣.

The worry is getting the return from Marylebone. Theres one at 10.30 and one at 11.07. 
Hopefully the game should finish by say 9.45 allowing 6-7mins of injury time added at the end of each half.

Ive read that the tube to Marylebone should take about 20 mins. 
plus walking time so I guess around 30mins. 
so I’m guessing the 10.30 train maybe a push. 
Do you think the 11.07 train is going to be make able or am I dreaming  given the thousands trying to get on the tube. 

Have no idea what to expect as coming from the shires we tend to all get the horse and cart home!!!

Any info greatly appreciated. 

Cheers Matt

• Like 4

I take that trip frequently, Matt.

23:07 would be doable provided it doesn’t go to extra time, in which case it’ll be tight. Or you leave early …

In theory, it’s 24 minutes, but not all tubes from Fulham go to Marylebone. And it’s a 10 min walk from Edgware Road to Marylebone plus a sprint up the platform. Allow 40-50 minutes from the ground.  I presume you have a fallback in case you miss the train?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mattjm said:

Hi Folks 

I come in peace. 
I’m a Villa season ticket holder with my son and we’ve managed to get some tickets for the cup game next week. 
my lad is proper made up to get away tickets as you just can’t get them for prem games so we’re really looking forward to the game  especially coming to a proper ground like Stamford bridge.

I was just hoping for a bit of travel info. 

Ideally we want to come down by train.
No hassle and only £30 return for the two of us 🤣.

The worry is getting the return from Marylebone. Theres one at 10.30 and one at 11.07. 
Hopefully the game should finish by say 9.45 allowing 6-7mins of injury time added at the end of each half.

Ive read that the tube to Marylebone should take about 20 mins. 
plus walking time so I guess around 30mins. 
so I’m guessing the 10.30 train maybe a push. 
Do you think the 11.07 train is going to be make able or am I dreaming  given the thousands trying to get on the tube. 

Have no idea what to expect as coming from the shires we tend to all get the horse and cart home!!!

Any info greatly appreciated. 

Cheers Matt

Hi Matt

As per @Blue Moon above, and if the game goes into extra time, it might be a squeeze.

It's a bottle-neck getting out of the bridge and then there are massive queues for Fulham Broadway (in which case, a walk to Earls Court station might be preferable). 

Enjoy the game, but not too much 😉

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies chaps. 
one question re Earl’s Court tube. 
wont all the trains going from there be full as they will be coming from Fulham so you can’t get on ? 
cheers Matt 

23 minutes ago, Mattjm said:

wont all the trains going from there be full as they will be coming from Fulham so you can’t get on ? 
cheers Matt 

I never had a problem getting on at Earls Court.  Takes a good 10-15 minutes to walk there but worth it to avoid the carnage at Fulham Broadway. 

• Agree 1

Thanks chaps. 

let’s hope for an FA cup classic. 
it’s what I’d like to see us win more than anything other than the league.

all for the glory 

wish it wasn’t all about the dollar these days. 

👍

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mattjm said:

cheers Matt 

Some trains at Earls Court will be empty, as they would have come from the Ealing Broadway branch of the District Line, not the Wimbledon branch.

7 hours ago, Ham said:

I never had a problem getting on at Earls Court.  Takes a good 10-15 minutes to walk there but worth it to avoid the carnage at Fulham Broadway. 

You must be younger than i thought - Google maps says 25 mins, I'd have said 30-35, from the outside gates.
Still probably lowest total time

@Mattjm: I remember the days when FA cup semi-finals were more or less regularly played at Villa Park.

I never went there, but I've seen several of them on live on Norwegian television.

And we (Chelsea) have 3 wins at Villa Park for FA cup semifinal (1915 Everton, 1967 Leeds, 2002 Fulham) - (and we lost 3 times:  65 Liverpool, 66 Sheff.Wed., 96 ManUtd)

Great stadium - Holte end, oh my 🙂 IMO the closest we get to the famous Die Gelbe Wand at Westfalenstadion in Dortmund.

Peace - and let's hope for a fair match and no injuries (and injury time) so that you and jr. catches the "Last train from London"  🙂

18 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

You must be younger than i thought - Google maps says 25 mins, I'd have said 30-35, from the outside gates.
Still probably lowest total time

It's about a mile - if you need 30-35 minutes to walk that, Droy, I suggest you need the exercise!

30 minutes ago, Mattjm said:

Thanks chaps. 

all for the glory 

👍

Believe it or not considering we benefited from it a lot in recent times , so do many of us here. 

Lets just hope for an exciting game with no contentious decisions and that the winners deserve it.

Have a great time. 

@asvaberg.....went to three semi's at Villa Park on the trot...Liverpool Sheff W and Leeds...made far more sense to play at neutral grounds than the present tawdry semi's.

Apart from the absolute madness of Fulham/Chelsea out of London!

@Mattjm..enjoy your visit, of course hope you are disappointed with the result but not with malice...great to have you here and I especially loved reading that you are bringing your son...obviously you are a real Villa/Football man .....good luck with the journey and the rest of the season.🫱🫲

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mattjm said:

Thanks chaps. 

all for the glory 

👍

You have the coach who has a knack of winning trophy's, unfortunately it won't be the FA cup this season - Enjoy the game and London 👍  

16 hours ago, Mattjm said:

Thanks chaps. 

all for the glory 

👍

Tubes are notoriously fickle and if you aren’t familiar with the network/running arrangements, have a plan b up your sleeve - Uber/cab. Better to pay an extra £20 then get stranded and with your lad there too. 

Have a good trip, but in the nicest possible way let’s hope the sights are what you both enjoy and not the result.

Got there in the end, it took me to the basket without giving any seat row information (which I did in the past and it took my money without allocating tickets, refunded eventually).

So I just went through with it and turns out it's Row GG MHL, not ideal but better than nothing. Annoying thing is it did this earlier and I didn't go through with the purchase, makes me wonder if those seats were better!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Got there in the end, it took me to the basket without giving any seat row information (which I did in the past and it took my money without allocating tickets, refunded eventually).

So I just went through with it and turns out it's Row GG MHL, not ideal but better than nothing. Annoying thing is it did this earlier and I didn't go through with the purchase, makes me wonder if those seats were better!

There's a few rows at the back of the stand where the overhang of the upper-tier restricts the view a good bit - Row GG might be one of those. If there's an issue in that regard, give me a call when the game starts and I'll have a look down near me to see if there's seats not taken up (I'll PM you the mobile number).

Edited by east lower
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, east lower said:

There's a few rows at the back of the stand where the overhang of the upper-tier restricts the view a good bit - Row GG might be one of those. If there's an issue in that regard, give me a call when the game starts and I'll have a look down near me to see if there's seats not taken up (I'll PM you the mobile number).

Perfect cheers. I think this should be a restricted view seat technically and they charged me the full whack, so I'm going to chase that up with the box office.

Just now, CarefreeMuratcan said:

She is doing wonderfully thank you for asking Jane 🙂

Wife is exhausted from feeding her all the time (we both underestimated this part of it) but we just love looking at her when she is awake eyes open and wriggling around. Her big doe eyes are adorable. Such a keen little observer.

Once we dress her up in her Chelsea clothes I will post a photo here 🙂

Looking forward to it 

• Love 1