JaneB

Matchday prediction  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Aston Villa win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/01/24 at 18:45

Despite the replay now being away from home, a couple of things can go in our favour. The fact that we played a few days before this time being one of the them. We may also have a few more players back in the squad. I haven’t been following the progress of the lesser spotted James or Nkunku but are we likely to see them again this season? 

1 hour ago, martin1905 said:

And that's fine. He'll be gone when we are ready to challenge again. A stop gap yes man was exactly what we needed.

A lot of people will be gone by the time we are ready to challenge again.
Owners and board included as well as the bored.

Still if people think it is best that the kids have a manager that doesn't blow his top everytime we lose (it is a fair point), then Poch is the man for us and most of the best managers in the world are disqualified.

40 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I've gone a similar way to Kev, but not with Kodi, but a very similar set-up. I have a couple of mates who do it the way you're talking about for £50 a year and think I may go that way... going to see how I get on with this on the bedroom TV and if it feels reliable enough, I'll upgrade to the paid version and replace everything currently on the main TV in the living room.

The new way I have it set up will be an improvement from watching the non-tv matches on the laptop at least. Annoyed I didn't do it sooner, just presumed it was more complicated than it was.

I still have Sky and other genuine subscriptions for the reliability and to enable us to record etc. 

IPTV is great but I mainly use it for TNT games, 3pm games and PPV events. 

• Agree 1

Day after thoughts...watching Palmer press not just by standing in front of a player but with positioning always trying to cut down as many options as possible the contrast between him as a make shift cf as opposed to Broja's lumbering performances is stark.

Broja's great headed goal a little while back looked great but even Kova managed to score a terrific goal from around the edge of the area maybe once a season after countless efforts to endanger people in the crowd above the goal level!

Broja came back from his loan with less than good wishes from the Soton fans as I recall and nothing he has done since,,,even taking into account the cruel injury,,,has proven them wrong.

Tammy was better by ..imho..a long shot but he was judged to be not good enough,,how long will Broja last?

The Poch continues to be one dimensional regarding in game management despite slowly but surely having more options at his disposal although to be fair,,which I begrudge... the limited bench didn't help but as pointed out earlier his substitutions seem to favour the opposition and weaken the Chelsea position.

I suspect the replay will go against Chelsea..Villa didn't look the #4  team but at home much more likely to show that  somewhat flattering position but a difficult opponent at this time.

This is not Chelsea's season...lets keep our expections muted and treat the EFL final as a bonus not a sign of being "back"....just get some stability and progress.

Added...forgot to mention the huge Villa injury list...as in every Chelsea game the obvious Chelsea advantage over the opposition.

Edited by chara

5 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I've gone a similar way to Kev, but not with Kodi, but a very similar set-up. I have a couple of mates who do it the way you're talking about for £50 a year and think I may go that way... going to see how I get on with this on the bedroom TV and if it feels reliable enough, I'll upgrade to the paid version and replace everything currently on the main TV in the living room.

The new way I have it set up will be an improvement from watching the non-tv matches on the laptop at least. Annoyed I didn't do it sooner, just presumed it was more complicated than it was.

Again, and this goes for anyone, I'm happy to assist anyone who wants help 

I've had a paid sub for about five years and it's brilliant 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Oh God don’t start me…, I suppose if you don’t like your wife then become an international cricketer . Those never ending international tours must be a dream to get away from the old battle axe. But I suppose they have to deal with the intense pressure of standing out by a boundary somewhere, with 6 people watching in the crowd , waiting to see if a ball comes rolls their  way. The drama never ends, especially when they play for 4 days and it ends up a draw. Give me strength. 

If I wasn't hopeless at actually playing cricket,  the Richie Benaud endless summer lifestyle would very much appeal to me.

I'd take the wife with me, like Ian Bell did, incidentally the last person to bowl me out in a cricket pitch.

And five days of see-saw drama coming down to the final few balls is very hard to beat.

7 hours ago, paulw66 said:

DM me and I can walk you through what I use. 50 quid a year for every channel you could ever want and plenty you don't 

Will do, thanks. 

No football means chores and that’s been decorating 😠

2 hours ago, chara said:

Day after thoughts...watching Palmer press not just by standing in front of a player but with positioning always trying to cut down as many options as possible the contrast between him as a make shift cf as opposed to Broja's lumbering performances is stark.

Broja's great headed goal a little while back looked great but even Kova managed to score a terrific goal from around the edge of the area maybe once a season after countless efforts to endanger people in the crowd above the goal level!

Broja came back from his loan with less than good wishes from the Soton fans as I recall and nothing he has done since,,,even taking into account the cruel injury,,,has proven them wrong.

Tammy was better by ..imho..a long shot but he was judged to be not good enough,,how long will Broja last?

The Poch continues to be one dimensional regarding in game management despite slowly but surely having more options at his disposal although to be fair,,which I begrudge... the limited bench didn't help but as pointed out earlier his substitutions seem to favour the opposition and weaken the Chelsea position.

I suspect the replay will go against Chelsea..Villa didn't look the #4  team but at home much more likely to show that  somewhat flattering position but a difficult opponent at this time.

This is not Chelsea's season...lets keep our expections muted and treat the EFL final as a bonus not a sign of being "back"....just get some stability and progress.

Added...forgot to mention the huge Villa injury list...as in every Chelsea game the obvious Chelsea advantage over the opposition.

Chara - Tell you another thing, he worked his nuts off last night. Having him play as a false 9 or 10 also negates a weak area that he does have.

Namely, if he’s playing as a wide midfielder he does let his man run off the back of him.

10 minutes ago, east lower said:

Chara - Tell you another thing, he worked his nuts off last night. Having him play as a false 9 or 10 also negates a weak area that he does have.

Namely, if he’s playing as a wide midfielder he does let his man run off the back of him.

Thanks mate....yet another question for you as "My man on the scene"...How vocal is Petr ?...not sure how close you are but the pix you post look as if you might be able to comment?,,,

Thanks for your hands on input.

42 minutes ago, chara said:

Thanks mate....yet another question for you as "My man on the scene"...How vocal is Petr ?...not sure how close you are but the pix you post look as if you might be able to comment?,,,

Thanks for your hands on input.

He’s not a shouter, he communicates but it not a constant noise like some keepers. Kepa was as noisy as we’ve had in recent times. You never heard Courtois, quiet as a mouse but a great goalkeeper.

Our new guy isn’t the best on crosses, but of a ‘liner’ but has a go at punching it. That’s the only area where Sanchez is in front of him. But that’s just my opinion.

Petr Mk2 has a quiet confidence about him though and my reading of things is that the defenders do trust him. Better than Sanchez with the ball at his feet, a better sweeper keeper by far as Bacar least his equal as a shot stopper.

Row B Chara, I can hear them snorting! No more than 6 yards from the goal/dead-ball line.

Edited by east lower
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

An anticlimax to be sure but more of a true representation of where we are after the naive "euphoria" of battering a lower league side.

I don’t know about euphoria of beating a lower league side, I think the excitement came from seeing our side actually be clinical for once and getting to a cup final.

Also, a true representation of where we are, which I agree with, isn’t a bad thing, we pretty much dominated high flying Villa for the majority of the match, which shows good signs of progress for me. A year ago, we lose that match, in fact 6 months ago, we lose that match.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

If we win the replay 7th of February, then Leeds or Plymouth in the next round, home as far as I can see

Shame we couldn't wrap Villa up. It's going to be tough back at Villa Park. But if we do get through then you would like to think it's a straight run to the Quarters. After last season's City away double debacle, we have been blessed by our Cup draws. If we get to the QF and get a home draw then all our cup draws will have been at home. Very good going. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 26/01/2024 at 23:56, Sabrina F. said:

Let’s be honest though, the options on the bench are extremely limited quality wise.

Of course. that will happen with 9 players unavailable. Imagine we had a fully fit squad.

James and Chilwell bombing up the wings, with Gusto on the bench if required.

Let's say the midfield 3 is the same as Friday, and there's a front 3 of Nkunku, Palmer and Jackson, that would leave attacking sub options of: Sterling, Madueke, Chukweameka, Mudryk, Broja. You'd also have the option playing Lavia, and pushing Enzo further forward. 

I am not saying that would be the team or is our best, I am just being hypothetical. At no stage this season have we been anywhere close to the above.

As for the game itself, we played 3 days before, they had 12 days rest. Anyone need a piece of chalk as to why they got stronger in the second half?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 28/01/2024 at 08:34, Holymoly said:

An anticlimax to be sure but more of a true representation of where we are after the naive "euphoria" of battering a lower league side.

Can you find a single post on here that can be described as "euphoric"?

Just one. Please. 

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

As for the game itself, we played 3 days before, they had 12 days rest. Anyone need a piece of chalk as to why they got stronger in the second half?

???  We ran ourselves stupid for 60 mins, they walked.  Nothing to do with the rest, all to do with our gameplan.
Sure the gameplan was higher risk given the short rest, but it was clearly the gameplan.

[Poch doing something brave for once actually]

28 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

???  We ran ourselves stupid for 60 mins, they walked.  Nothing to do with the rest, all to do with our gameplan.
Sure the gameplan was higher risk given the short rest, but it was clearly the gameplan.

[Poch doing something brave for once actually]

No, having 9 days extra to rest made no difference at all. 

• Haha 1