JaneB
Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Newcastle win

Will be in my usual seat at the Bridge tonight, but not quite sure why, as my heart is no longer in it. I have to do a presentation tomorrow, and this won't be good preparation. I certainly don't want to hear a load of booing - I've never liked that - or cries of Poch out / Feck off Boehly etc - they don't help anyone.  On the other hand, totally understand the malcontents. The best protest in my opinion would be the whole of the ground silently walking out, but it'd never happen - too many tourists, part-timers and ... well ... blind optimists, I suppose.

My son no longer goes - he got fed up with the extortionate salaries and lack of commitment - and my daughter is off across the pond, following Emma's example, so no more women's football either. 

I suppose I'm just going to indulge in a little nostalgia for a club that was once great, and at a ground where I've had so many fantastic experiences - who can forget regaling the residents close to the Finborough with "Fabregas is magic" until dark when we won the league?  Or the celebrations after the 2012 CL final?

If tonight is as poor a display as it promises to be, I may just get back on the train and go home - I'm watching an interesting series about the Troubles on the BBC, and anyhow I could do with an early night.

• Love 3
  • Sad 1

@Blue Moon...I don't recall ever booing anyone at SB even in my silly days (or should I say sillier!)....and I feel more strongly about the playing side set up or lack of it than at the top admin level.....plenty of room for criticism there but not the first time a club...in our case Chelsea...have had to deal with a questionable hierarchy.

@My Blood Is Blue...another post I can relate to...have to go out on an unavoidable tax related appt but should be back for the game as Mrs C assures me......not sure I really am too bothered if I have to rely on a recording...that IS sad.

5 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Im not dreading tonight and I’m not excited about tonight, I actually wouldn’t even be surprised if I forget to watch and that’s just where I am at the moment with the club. The owners have sucked the life out of our club, to the point where if I watch old clips and highlights, it feels like a completely different club to the one we have now. I wouldn’t be shocked if they changed our name at some point… ‘The American Airlines Blues’.

I’ve lost any faith I had in the manager and just cannot back him, even ignoring the results, performances and in game decisions, his personality is so uninspiring.

As for the players, I half feel sorry for them at this point, although at least they’re getting paid a handsome amount to suffer through this, we have to pay to do that!

If we win, faint hopes of the lower tier European competitions remain, if we lose, they’re gone and so will any fight from ours players be for the rest of the season.

Which means it will be a draw , just to wind us up and keep us  muttering  and moaning on here . I don’t think I ever felt such a lack of destination. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Which means it will be a draw , just to wind us up and keep us  muttering  and moaning on here. I don’t think I ever felt such a lack of destination. 

Me too (if you hadn't guessed). Could do with the catharsis of a 6:0 thrashing. By us, of course ... but we're more likely to get this ... https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/news/simulated-chelsea-vs-newcastle-united-28781520. Both cats are in hiding, and my dearly beloved will be out till late .........

7 hours ago, east lower said:

Unlikely to win it with the likes of Man City and Liverpool still in the competition. We might have to beat both to win it, and sadly we haven’t beaten either for two seasons.

On the other hand, we only lost to Liverpool with a near-post header in the 118th minute. We lost heavily to them at Anfield (and we were desperately poor), but we got a 1-1 draw at home. Man City only got a deflected equaliser at home in the 83rd minute and 4-4 in the other tie. Have they beaten us this season? 

8 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

On the other hand, we only lost to Liverpool with a near-post header in the 118th minute. We lost heavily to them at Anfield (and we were desperately poor), but we got a 1-1 draw at home. Man City only got a deflected equaliser at home in the 83rd minute and 4-4 in the other tie. Have they beaten us this season? 

Happy to buy you a pint or two if we win it by beating either of them in the final, but I’d expect the same from you if we lose 😉.

If we get through the quarter final then it’s entirely conceivable that there’s going to be a massive fix-up to get a Man City v Liverpool final. Especially so after the media ****fest over yesterday’s game and ‘righting the wrongs’ of the last 15mins. 🤮🤢

32 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

It's weird to think we went toe to toe with City this season. Proper Jekyll and Hyde team.

4 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Enzo/Caicedo deep, Gallagher in the hole with Palmer/Jackson/Sterling up front. It looks like our strongest available team,

Yes it does but Chalobah/Cucurella worries me......

With Badiashile and Chilly absent and Thiago lacking pace, we had no choice but to play those. The worry is also that Sterling is not famous for helping out. I doubt Kofi will get on the pitch.

Edited by Sciatika
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

Will be in my usual seat at the Bridge tonight, but not quite sure why, as my heart is no longer in it. I have to do a presentation tomorrow, and this won't be good preparation. I certainly don't want to hear a load of booing - I've never liked that - or cries of Poch out / Feck off Boehly etc - they don't help anyone.  On the other hand, totally understand the malcontents. The best protest in my opinion would be the whole of the ground silently walking out, but it'd never happen - too many tourists, part-timers and ... well ... blind optimists, I suppose.

My son no longer goes - he got fed up with the extortionate salaries and lack of commitment - and my daughter is off across the pond, following Emma's example, so no more women's football either. 

I suppose I'm just going to indulge in a little nostalgia for a club that was once great, and at a ground where I've had so many fantastic experiences - who can forget regaling the residents close to the Finborough with "Fabregas is magic" until dark when we won the league?  Or the celebrations after the 2012 CL final?

If tonight is as poor a display as it promises to be, I may just get back on the train and go home - I'm watching an interesting series about the Troubles on the BBC, and anyhow I could do with an early night.

This post, so beautifully and thoughtfully written, really struck a chord with me. A once great club…and the Fabregas song is one of my faves for a truly magnificent player.
 🩶💜😔😔😔

• Like 1

One thing I would like to see is a solid mix of zonal and man-to-man when marking set pieces. Gusto against Dan Burn is not going o work. Also, please beat the first man on corners. I know it's basic stuff, but it's really frustrating.

Edited by Sciatika