Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Manchester United win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/04/24 at 18:15

8 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

In 90 minutes, we haven't lost a game since Silva was dropped. 

Sure the defence hasn't been brilliant, but the overall benefit on the team of not having a player who can't run is obvious. 

We are still shipping in goals without him…

Our defence is horrible all season. Reece being named captain, Collwill played out of position, Silva dropped (ok injured for a bit, but he is ok now), not defending corners properly, Chillwell played LW, what else?

All points to weird manager decisions and lack of organisation to me.

1 minute ago, Bones said:

We are still shipping in goals without him…

Yup. But results have been better. 

We have also had a bit of bad luck in this recent run. the two goals conceded to Newcastle were two barely half chances. Leicester managed to score twice from 1 shot on target. 

Our best recent defensive performances came against City , with Colwill and Disasi at CB. Then typically, Colwill gets injured. Annoying

Just now, paulw66 said:

Yup. But results have been better. 

We have also had a bit of bad luck in this recent run. the two goals conceded to Newcastle were two barely half chances. Leicester managed to score twice from 1 shot on target. 

Our best recent defensive performances came against City , with Colwill and Disasi at CB. Then typically, Colwill gets injured. Annoying

Right. I agree that Colwill and Disasi are the options going forward. But then Silva is the second best option if Colwill is injured.

Badiashille looked very promising, but then something happened, now he looks totally lost with a mistake waiting to happen.

23 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

In 90 minutes, we haven't lost a game since Silva was dropped. 

Sure the defence hasn't been brilliant, but the overall benefit on the team of not having a player who can't run is obvious. 

You're really reaching Paul if you think our recent results and performances, especially defensively, have screamed of any benefits whatsoever. We have been an absolute shambles. 

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

You're really reaching Paul if you think our recent results and performances, especially defensively, have screamed of any benefits whatsoever. We have been an absolute shambles. 

Matter of opinion, but the comment I made was a simple statement of fact. Since Silva has been dropped we haven't lost in 90 minutes. In that time we have:

Drawn at City. Won at Villa. Beaten Newcastle. In 90 minutes against Liverpool we had a clean sheet.

Yes, Burnley and Brentford were pretty poor, not nearly as poor as Wolves at home or Liverpool away, which could have been 6 or 7. 

8 minutes ago, Bones said:

Right. I agree that Colwill and Disasi are the options going forward. But then Silva is the second best option if Colwill is injured.

Badiashille looked very promising, but then something happened, now he looks totally lost with a mistake waiting to happen.

Honestly has Disasi shown anything other than a couple of games where he was excellent?!

I am gonna drop it after this post but I really don't think he's it guys.

He looks terrified on the pitch, he is so bad on the ball and just lacks all leadership credentials we would want from him alongside the likes of Levi.

I am prepared to give him a go alongside a new signing but we should be targeting a new first choice CB in summer - Van Dijk style, game changing leadership signing at the back. We will not go for that and instead go for another mid signing like Guehi.

If Disasi was that guy we would have seen a bigger impact already IMO - he doesn't even have the age excuse. Poch hasn't helped him at all but if he was the real deal, he would have arrived already.

In general I am of the opinion now of laying off the individual and focusing on the collective (I have stopped piling on Mudryk etc.) but as of now Disasi firmly has to fit in the category of "simply not been good enough so far". 

I have said my piece. Now I prefer not to speak. If I speak I am in big trouble.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Matter of opinion, but the comment I made was a simple statement of fact. Since Silva has been dropped we haven't lost in 90 minutes. In that time we have:

Drawn at City. Won at Villa. Beaten Newcastle. In 90 minutes against Liverpool we had a clean sheet.

Yes, Burnley and Brentford were pretty poor, not nearly as poor as Wolves at home or Liverpool away, which could have been 6 or 7. 

I am finishing here Paul as I know we just disagree on Disasi vs. Silva, but you are misremembering. Silva played after Villa against Palace and got injured in the 61st min. AKA he wasn't dropped against Villa, he was rested (he can't play 2 games in 3 days). He was then injured AKA not on the bench at all up until the Brentford game. 

I don't deny he's been dropped since, in fact I speculated that it is due to internal reasons following Belle's online comments. But you are claiming that "since we dropped him" we have had all these excellent defensive displays when in fact he was injured against City, Liverpool and Leeds.

If you think our recent defensive displays have been worth celebrating, we're just never gonna agree are we? City and Villa were postive but they were 6 and 8 weeks ago Paul.

Since then we've put in an absolute defensive horror show against Brentford, conceded 4 at home to championship opposition, twice to 10 men Burnley the second lowest scorers in the division, and twice to a woeful Newcastle where we still looked an absolute mess.

AKA we are conceding more goals than at any point in the season.

Silva's going to be gone either way, I understand that. I just find it baffling to be drawing any positives from our recent defensive displays - rather I would be asking, is it Poch or is it the players? or both?

I wish you a good day Paul, I respect your opinion and will leave it there 💙

Edited by Max Fowler

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

If you think our recent defensive displays have been worth celebrating, we're just never gonna agree are we? City and Villa were postive but they were 6 and 8 weeks ago Paul.

I don't, and I never said otherwise. 

Why argue against points that weren't made?

Lets not forget that we won't be seeing Silva next season so maybe we are simply testing the water with the others to see who sinks or swims to see where we are ?

I suppose doing well now with no coaching whatsoever would bode well for when we get a coach in

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well we can't be any worse than the reverse fixture.. If you get beat that badly there should be some sort of revenge mentality with the players tonight. I want to see a response. At the very least playing for pride. 

53 minutes ago, Leo said:

Well we can't be any worse than the reverse fixture.. If you get beat that badly there should be some sort of revenge mentality with the players tonight. I want to see a response. At the very least playing for pride. 

You mentioned the word 'Mentality' which is literally Kryptomite to these players.

• Agree 1

I can't quite get over the fact that they seem to get results despite not being all that good. It's a useful skill if you can maintain it, but, at some time, the chickens have to come home to roost. Hopefully, tonight. The problem is that a draw is not really good enough for us, and it's not a disaster for them. So they can afford to pick us off with a long ball over the top and Hojlund racing through, leaving our back four in his wake.

I haven’t thought too much about tonight, but as I’m getting dinner ready and starting to think about what might happen… I’m dreading it! We always seem to gift them a result these days regardless of how good we are and bad they are, so now we’re also bad, we’ve got no chance!

I’m off on holiday tomorrow and I’d rather go with a skip in my step than an upside down smile!

I can see a lively start by the boys in blue, but no chances taken and then a brain fart at the back, will gift them a goal and we’ll collapse. 1-3 full time result.

Man Utd XI: Onana; Dalot, Maguire, Varane, Wan-Bissaka; Casemiro, Mainoo, Fernandes; Garnacho, Antony, Hojlund

Subs: Heaton, Amrabat, Mount, Rashford, Eriksen, Diallo, Evans, McTominay, Kambwala