The past players and staff thread

xceleryx

29 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Nice to see CHO doing his bit to try and keep Forrest in the PL

After his terrible form during his loan in Germany he looked finished as a player in the top divisions. So it's good to see he's kept the belief in himself and worked hard to get back to being good enough to play in the Premier League again, even if it will be at a lower level club.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

After his terrible form during his loan in Germany he looked finished as a player in the top divisions. So it's good to see he's kept the belief in himself and worked hard to get back to being good enough to play in the Premier League again, even if it will be at a lower level club.

7 goals from open play in such a terrible side is nothing to be sniffed at. He’s had a very good season and Forrest made a steal. £3.5m. Meanwhile we have been taken to the cleaners for several of our players and they are not chalking up 7 from open play. We only have two players who’s scored more - Palmer and Jackson both on 11. 

After that it’s Sterling 6, Gallagher 4, Mudryk 4, Madueke 4 and Silva 3. 

Goalscoring remains a massive issue for us. 

Edited by Sleeping Dave

11 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

7 goals from open play in such a terrible side is nothing to be sniffed at. He’s had a very good season and Forrest made a steal. £3.5m. Meanwhile we have been taken to the cleaners for several of our players and they are not chalking up 7 from open play. We only have two players who’s scored more - Palmer and Jackson both on 11. 

From only 18 starts as well.  Only been a regular in the second half of the season really 

2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

He's done well  and better than some of our forwards for sure. But being better than the likes of the awful Sterling and Mudryk doesn't mean he's the level of player we need to get back to the top four and eventually challenge for the title again. 

CHO was given plenty of time to prove himself at Chelsea and imho at no time did he look to be the level we need. After his disatrous loan in Germany we had little choice but to move him, though selling him for 3 million was ridiculous. 

Both us and Liverpool let Solanke go. It's easy to look at him today  and say both clubs were wrong to let him go. No top club can keep afford to keep players year after year when they are not cutting it.

I actually thought CHO was decent as a utility player for us yet decision taken to move him on.

Have to say he looks a lot happier at Forest though with 6 goals is not sensational by any means perhaps just ordinary for a wide front man.  He does score 'goal of the month' contenders which help his profile.

I agree  £3.5 m is low, I wonder  what was happening with FFP back then............

I believe he asked for a transfer too , don't blame him but I think that's where our interest in rehabilitating him ended.

He was very promising for us , injury killed him and he fought back and I wish him well he'll rip up the Championship when we send them down.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 05/05/2024 at 10:33, Sleeping Dave said:

7 goals from open play in such a terrible side is nothing to be sniffed at. He’s had a very good season and Forrest made a steal. £3.5m. Meanwhile we have been taken to the cleaners for several of our players and they are not chalking up 7 from open play.

It's certainly different though playing for a team who don't come up against the low block at all.

He's done well for them, after 5 ordinary seasons. how long do you leave it?

We only have two players who’s scored more - Palmer and Jackson both on 11. 

Palmer has 13 non penalty goals. What are the "other" 2 btw?

Madueke's 4 non penalty goals have come from 10 starts. Hoping his curve up continues next season. 

In the second half of the season, not so much. As at Boxing Day, we had scored 29 from 18. Since then we have scored 41 from the next 17 (pro rata that is 92 goals in a season)

Defensively from the same positions, we had conceded 28 from 18, then since 31 in 17, nearly 2 a game. 

21 hours ago, Bison said:

19 years ago to the day:

19 years ago?! Doesn’t feel that long ago, I can vividly remember seeing that goal fly in like it was a few weeks ago. What a hit.

I really liked Tiago as well, shame he didn’t stick around for longer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

19 years ago?! Doesn’t feel that long ago, I can vividly remember seeing that goal fly in like it was a few weeks ago. What a hit.

I really liked Tiago as well, shame he didn’t stick around for longer.

I vividly remember watching that live too. Eidur's cheeky little clip over the keeper for the second. 

Good times.

• Love 1

Kante included the French squad for the Euros. Amazing player, still going strong.

Deschamps:

"First of all, his experience. There are some very good young players, everyone knows that, but N’Golo is the ideal player, both in terms of his quality and his ability to set an example. I can tell you know that a Équipe de France with Kanté is stronger, and he gets people to listen to him and respect him.

In terms of whether he can handle the intensity of tournament football, of course he can! There is an important detail that people aren’t considering is that he plays in a city (Jeddah) which is very hot and humid. Physically, it’s hard. There is a rhythm, the teams are well equipped. Above all, look at the number of games he has played this season (42). We accumulated games like in Europe with the league, the cups and continental tournaments. I have no doubt about his level. We will see the N’Golo Kanté that French people recognise.”

Legend. 

• Like 1

Saw Kanté's been called up by Deschamps to the France squad for the euros. IMO his absence in Qatar was probably what stopped France being champions last World Cup.