Chelsea 1 Leeds United 0

JaneB

30 minutes ago, JaneB said:

If you’re paid 12 million a year you get MM back to playing his best.  He was one of our most valuable assets, now look at him 🙁

I am the last person that is going to defend Potter. I have been saying for weeks he should be fired. Just don't think Mount's bad form is on him.

29 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Disagree. Much like the myth that we were declining under Tuchel Mounts drop in form is also just not true. Before now.

There was much debate around Tuchel, those who thought we were not doing well under him or getting worse were, respectfully, wrong. Mount is another example and a reason to bash Tuchel but both Mounts form declining and our own form under Tuchel doing the same quite simply didn't happen.

11 goals and 10 assists in 32 league games last year.

The only problem Mount has ever had is that he is versatile and available every single second of every single game. 

The stats don't tell the whole story.

The bulk of those goals/assists came against the worst teams in the division like Norwich, Watford and Leeds who were relegation fodder. Being productive in a handful of games against the worst teams in the league doesn't constitute a good season.

Mount was the best of a bad bunch of attacking midfielders/forwards but he wasn't very good last season and that form carried over into this one.

1 hour ago, Bison said:

I am the last person that is going to defend Potter. I have been saying for weeks he should be fired. Just don't think Mount's bad form is on him.

The bulk of those goals/assists came against the worst teams in the division like Norwich, Watford and Leeds who were relegation fodder. Being productive in a handful of games against the worst teams in the league doesn't constitute a good season.

Mount was the best of a bad bunch of attacking midfielders/forwards but he wasn't very good last season and that form carried over into this one.

Yet he won player of the season.

Very easy to knock who he has scored against, but that's up to you, still 11 goals and 10 assists in 32 games plus being named player of the year against 3 goals and 0 assists in 23 games so far this season, regardless of what you thought of him last year is alarming.

Alright - million dollar question - would you take a bad loss on Saturday if it meant Potter was gone?

I know we want Chelsea to win every game, but if we really think Potter isn't the answer then a loss might be the best solution.

We should comfortably beat Leeds. I'd hate to think if we won Boehly suddenly becomes more convinced than ever of Potter staying unless he really is right and Potter is the answer.

8 minutes ago, JaneB said:

And now I’m reading that Liverpool would be interested in signing MM.

The stuff of nightmares 🫣

Sorry, continuing to be a bit off topic but just the way the conversation has gone.

Been obvious for a while unfortunately Jane.

He's the perfect centre mid, a position he has always said he wants to play, for Klopp's Liverpool.

Meanwhile he's sitting on the bench  whilst Ruben Loftus-Cheek starts every game.

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Been obvious for a while unfortunately Jane.

He's the perfect centre mid, a position he has always said he wants to play, for Klopp's Liverpool.

Meanwhile he's sitting on the bench  whilst Ruben Loftus-Cheek starts every game.

I think he currently has his limitations and has a fair amount of growing to do.

But I would be in favour of us keeping him of course.

6 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Err no?

I don't care who the manager is that gets us playing, scoring and winning again.

But it's kind of asking - if you knew you needed to get a tooth pulled to have healthy teeth again, would you vote for the short-term pain of getting it pulled? Or just completely numb the pain with painkillers and pretend it's not there. I'm not sure a victory against Leeds convinces any fan he's the right man - so better to get it over with and make the decision absolutely clear cut for the board to make.

Certainly that's what some players will think if and when they decide to stop playing for Potter.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

But it's kind of asking - if you knew you needed to get a tooth pulled to have healthy teeth again, would you vote for the short-term pain of getting it pulled? Or just completely numb the pain with painkillers and pretend it's not there. I'm not sure a victory against Leeds convinces any fan he's the right man - so better to get it over with and make the decision absolutely clear cut for the board to make.

Certainly that's what some players will think if and when they decide to stop playing for Potter.

From all the obvious briefing in the media it's plain to me that regardless of what happens , Potter will be our manager for the rest of the season , as far as I can see , that stance whilst honourable on the part of the board and if we're being even handed a change from the normal behaviour of a football board , however , I don't think we are physically or tellingly if you're Potter , emotionally equipped for a battle . I can't see any evidence that the players have faith in the way they are being set up or that they have the desire and ability to string a run of results together. Jose Mourinho absolutely ruined Rashford at United , tore down his belief in himself which we are only now witnessing the re birth of under Ten Hag , we have a team of Jose's Rashford's all at their lowest ebb all at the same time. 

I'm expecting a death spiral . 

Edit: Oh , and apparently they've got another day off today . 

Edited by Mark Kelly
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Not trying to give them excuses but I keep wondering if the problem is a fitness issue and that's why they keep getting time off. Our pace does seem to drop off badly after a half hour especially Felix, but others too. 

Well yes 100% there is a fitness issue, been clear as day for weeks and weeks. Time off isn't the answer though, or at least it shouldn't be but maybe at this stage it is.  Never known a top level team struggle with fitness issues at this stage of the season.

The question has to be asked as Potter hasn't ever coached at this level, was he aware how to set up and train a team that could potentially play 60 games in a season? He's never had to before, his Brighton team played 41,44,42 matches in the last three seasons. In all competitions. The answer is pretty obvious but the fact that we are having to ask these sort of questions is rather worrying.

3 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Alright - million dollar question - would you take a bad loss on Saturday if it meant Potter was gone?

I know we want Chelsea to win every game, but if we really think Potter isn't the answer then a loss might be the best solution.

We should comfortably beat Leeds. I'd hate to think if we won Boehly suddenly becomes more convinced than ever of Potter staying unless he really is right and Potter is the answer.

Definitely not. Just before the Dortmund game with no manager would be insane. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Definitely not. Just before the Dortmund game with no manager would be insane. 

So if we could lose the Dortmund game then sack Potter immediately afterwards?
Would you take a loss against Dortmund?

If you knew we would get in an elite manager - Luis Enrique etc., in the summer?

6 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

If you knew we would get in an elite manager - Luis Enrique etc., in the summer?

NO!  What a stupid question. What kind of mindset is that?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ham said:

NO!  What a stupid question. What kind of mindset is that?

Well - if we had a manager in charge that we knew was wrong for the club and any small result was likely to be read by the owners as a huge success (and further cement his position), surely the short-term pain of losing a couple of games would be worth the long-term gain of getting a proper manager in charge sooner rather than later?

I think you are just saying that you are not as certain as I that Potter isn't the right man for the job. Of course, I'd want us to win if it meant anything. But I don't think it will so I'd rather our long-term future was secured with a clean break and it feels like there is an opportunity for that to happen right now.

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Oh , and apparently they've got another day off today . 

Maybe it's the new mental health awareness psychology guru they employed a month or two ago telling GP to give them this time off. All this football must be playing merry heck with their fragile little minds 

35 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Maybe it's the new mental health awareness psychology guru they employed a month or two ago telling GP to give them this time off. All this football must be playing merry heck with their fragile little minds 

I very much doubt anyone who has worked in or around the All Blacks would ever suggest doing less work!

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

If you're hoping for anything other than a win against Dortmund and an improbable run against all odds to the Champions League final then you aren't really a Chelsea supporter - sorry. You support the club and want them to win end of. If it meant Potter stays and we are absolutely bush again next season so be it - a Champions League win is worth almost any cost.

Edited by FrankLampard8

22 hours ago, Bison said:

That's just arrogant nonsense, especially given the position we are in currently. We ARE one of those relegation fodder sides on current form and would love to have someone to provide a single goal or assist against the "worst teams in the league".

Mount has been one of our best players for the past 3 years and has been run into the ground, sacrificed for the greater good of the team.....in vain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrankLampard8 said:

If you're hoping for anything other than a win against Dortmund and an improbable run against all odds to the Champions League final then you aren't really a Chelsea supporter - sorry. You support the club and want them to win end of. If it meant Potter stays and we are absolutely bush again next season so be it - a Champions League win is worth almost any cost.

I've heard this logic before and it just doesn't hold water.

Of course I want them to win the Champions League. It's not going to happen under Potter.

I am more worried about us not winning for a considerable length of time by sticking with him.

Not saying I would ever fully be happy with any loss, but if it meant the long-term health of our club was secured?

Of course I would. That doesn't make me not a Chelsea supporter.