Chelsea 0 Brentford 2

JaneB

I would expect Frank to make some changes.

Surely Badashiel comes back in.

Think most changes will be upfront and could see Pulisic being given a game and perhaps the new right winger Madueke.

Brentford have been in a bad run of form not sure why yet they were certainly capable of hitting us on the counter, they are one of the few teams to have beaten City this season.

Unpredictable, currently we could win yet most certainly could lose this if we don't put in a shift. 

23 hours ago, Original 21 said:

Problem is Lampard has his reputation to consider. Playing the kids is in the club’s interest. Not necessarily in Lampard’s who’s already lost four in a row. 

Quite agree however you could put Messi and Ronaldo in this side and they'd still lose and not score any goals.

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Can't get any worse then, can it? At least the younger players might put a shift in

Maybe Frank could get a gig as some sort of go between the Academy and the senior squad. I honestly think he can identify the diamonds in the rough, he just can't get them to play football that effectively, or indeed at all. Lovely guy though.

• Like 1

On 20/04/2023 at 02:17, Original 21 said:

Problem is Lampard has his reputation to consider. Playing the kids is in the club’s interest. Not necessarily in Lampard’s who’s already lost four in a row. 

I don't think the 7 games remaining are going to alter much when it comes to Frank's managerial reputation. It's shot already, the proof is in the pudding. If this really is "his club" then he'll gladly put his reputation aside to help be a positive impact on our future by giving these young guys invaluable reps while there's little to play for. 

18 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Chances are we continue to struggle for the remaining games of the season, so I think it would be best to play those who are leaving rather than our young players. Those who will be leaving won't be effected by further bad performances and losses, so I see that as a better option than bringing in the young players who could then start next season coming off the back of a run of poor performances and losses and already doubting themselves. Best for the likes of Forfana2 and others who've been  relitively untainted by this year's woe to be left out to let them start fresh under a new manager next season.

I get what you mean, but I still think it's just better all round to use this period of time to get genuine match minutes into these younger guys who need it for the experience and development. If some of these guys can play the full 90 in the remaining 7 games that's 630 senior first team minutes that they'll have, which could be an opportunity that may not come around again. For me the ability to learn on the job is invaluable, even if we remains pants in the process. 

Kepa

James Fofana Badiashille Chilwell

Enzo Kante 

Sterling Mount Mudryk

Havertz

I'd like to see Fofana play but just don't think there is any chance. There's something about him that makes me believe, already, that he won't ever make it here and will end up on countless loans. Not that we are able to judge him as he's not played but there is a reason why he's not played, especially when we are so bad upfront,  and I can only assume it's what goes on daily in training. I think we bought a dud.

Could make an argument for Aubameyang or anyone but Havertz but might as well stick with Havertz as he's more likely to be around going forward and I don't think he's been as bad as some make out this season, he's just not a striker.

2 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Kepa

James Fofana Badiashille Chilwell

Enzo Kante 

Sterling Mount Mudryk

Havertz

I'd like to see Fofana play but just don't think there is any chance. There's something about him that makes me believe, already, that he won't ever make it here and will end up on countless loans. Not that we are able to judge him as he's not played but there is a reason why he's not played, especially when we are so bad upfront,  and I can only assume it's what goes on daily in training. I think we bought a dud.

Could make an argument for Aubameyang or anyone but Havertz but might as well stick with Havertz as he's more likely to be around going forward and I don't think he's been as bad as some make out this season, he's just not a striker.

I completely agree with you. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think he'll disappear into the wilderness of loans and then sell on to some random European side. When I've seen him play he looks like he can cause problems but he also just looks so incredibly raw and as though he is full of mistakes. He is young so you never know he may well develop into the striker we've been craving for, I just have my doubts.

1 minute ago, martin1905 said:

He should have gone out on loan straight away, probably back at Molde. He was bought because he was on the radar of the Brighton staff we pinched and because someone else would have got there first otherwise. But even Brighton send players of his profile out on loan for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if someone at the club made the Lukaku 2012 mistake again and didn't realise just a second of playing time for us meant no loan, or if Potter was genuinely stupid/desperate enough to think a kid who'd played Norweigan football for a few months might slot straight in here. Either way, we've damaged this guy. He should have been playing regular football and instead he's been training with what seems a disgruntled group of seniors. I would be amazed now to see him make it here.

• Agree 1

The lineup for this match will tell us a lot about how Frank is going to approach the final weeks of the season... will he play a side with a view on next season and try and get some minutes in the legs of some of the younger players or will he just try and play our 'strongest' side to hope for maximum return? I hope the former as I actually think it would result in more points anyway. I hope we see:

Kepa*

James - Fofana - Badiashile - Chilwell

Enzo - Kante

Madueke - Mount** - Mudryk

Aubameyang***

*I wouldn't be against giving Slonina a run of games until the end of the season.
** If Mount is genuinely off in the summer, then play Havertz.
*** I don't want to play Aubameyang, but I want to see James, Chilwell, Madueke and Mudryk play with a proper striker.

Sadly , I really don't care , it's just another "L" on the story of the season for me. 

In an ideal world the kids get their chances but the same old tired bunch of players we want rid of and players who want out will be given precedent.

I've a different position on DD Fofana to most here it seems  , one where I remember him in one of his very brief cameo's , getting the ball , jinking past the defender and setting up a shot on goal that was unfortunately cleared on the line by a defender (doing what they were paid to do - how odd) just like a "proper" centre forward should , he's played 2 games in the U21's and scored 1 goal and he's practically our only accomplished striker left at the club who actually wants to be here. 

I'm expecting a desperate Ivan Toney to try and play his way to a fat contract at Chelsea at which point he'll get a two year ban from the FA for betting irregularities and someone at the club will sit up in bed a four in the morning shouting " A third of his goals are penalties" when it's all too late.

If Reece James has been struggling with an underlying injury problem (he's been playing well within himself - bar Real at home on Tuesday - since his return to "full fitness") then I don't want to see him again this season, given there's nothing left to play for.  Let him get what rest, physio or even surgery that is required ahead of the summer break so that he can return for pre-season in full health.

12 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

The lineup for this match will tell us a lot about how Frank is going to approach the final weeks of the season... will he play a side with a view on next season and try and get some minutes in the legs of some of the younger players or will he just try and play our 'strongest' side to hope for maximum return? I hope the former as I actually think it would result in more points anyway. I hope we see:

Kepa*

James - Fofana - Badiashile - Chilwell

Enzo - Kante

Madueke - Mount** - Mudryk

Aubameyang***

*I wouldn't be against giving Slonina a run of games until the end of the season.
** If Mount is genuinely off in the summer, then play Havertz.
*** I don't want to play Aubameyang, but I want to see James, Chilwell, Madueke and Mudryk play with a proper striker.

I think, like yourself,  our strongest side is the side where we should be looking towards next season. The only difference, it seems, is Sterling. I've read your views on him and get it 100%, just feel that in a better team he will always get goals and that is something we can't ignore. 

I like what I've seen in Madueke but he is incredibly raw, desperately needs to work on things, especially how one dimensional he is in terms of cutting in on his left foot. It can be a weapon but it's so obvious he's looking to do it every time he gets on the ball. I'm not against playing him, far from it, in fact I want him, along with Mudryk to get a proper run in the side, I just think it's equally as important for Sterling to be given a run in a more attack minded team. 

It could be worth utilising Sterling as a false 9 and although I'm not keen on that it allows us to play him and Madueke and Mudryk.

I agree with your take on Aubameyang and the reasoning, just can't see it happening although for the good of the team it probably should. I can only think there is something seriously wrong with his attitude, not just because of his time here, for him to have been made such an outcast.

The most important thing for me is that I never want to see Felix again. Not now, not next season. Same goes for Pulisic and Ziyech. We gain absolutely nothing by giving them any more game time this season and with that hurt the progress of others. Sadly, the same can be said for Mount if he definitely is leaving, 

RLC, Koulibaly, Kovacic can all do one too as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2

Our form is completely horrendous:

January: 1W - 2D -3L

February: 0W - 2D - 3L

March: 2W - 1D - 1L

April: 0W - 1D - 5L

And, (most important) we don't score goals.

So I don't feel any of above lineups will give us goals and points unless if there suddenly is a plan in the play.  

That said, one can almost play anyone if there is a plan.

Palace, Wolves, Bournemouth and West Ham are in ok form and will probably end in front of us in the PL final table.

We will finish in the wonderful 15th place. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:

I like what I've seen in Madueke but he is incredibly raw, desperately needs to work on things,

He is not even a good prospect, just another Bizarre signing from TB sports department - He is defiantly no upgrade on CHO and look what's happened to him.

Madueke is more likely to go down the same route  D Forfana which you mention somewhere in this topic

To think, I used to give Michael Emenalo a bit of clog on the old forum, how we could certainly do with someone like him now in TB sports department

23 hours ago, jasonb said:

I would expect Frank to make some changes.

Surely Badashiel comes back in.

Think most changes will be upfront and could see Pulisic being given a game and perhaps the new right winger Madueke.

Brentford have been in a bad run of form not sure why yet they were certainly capable of hitting us on the counter, they are one of the few teams to have beaten City this season.

Unpredictable, currently we could win yet most certainly could lose this if we don't put in a shift. 

Pulisic should be nowhere near this game as Brentford can get physical and that will see him go into hiding. 

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Sadly , I really don't care , it's just another "L" on the story of the season for me. 

In an ideal world the kids get their chances but the same old tired bunch of players we want rid of and players who want out will be given precedent.

I've a different position on DD Fofana to most here it seems  , one where I remember him in one of his very brief cameo's , getting the ball , jinking past the defender and setting up a shot on goal that was unfortunately cleared on the line by a defender (doing what they were paid to do - how odd) just like a "proper" centre forward should , he's played 2 games in the U21's and scored 1 goal and he's practically our only accomplished striker left at the club who actually wants to be here. 

I'm expecting a desperate Ivan Toney to try and play his way to a fat contract at Chelsea at which point he'll get a two year ban from the FA for betting irregularities and someone at the club will sit up in bed a four in the morning shouting " A third of his goals are penalties" when it's all too late.

Yes we shouldn't touch Toney with a bargepole. Nkunku, Watkins, Osehmin or whoever should be before him in our thinking. 

Hmm...catch up...Sterling as a "false 9" ?...instead of or as well as a "false footballer"?

Just sad that we are looking at what would be considered "low hanging fruit' with trepidation and no real feeling of confidence...not just Brentford but doubts about getting anything from Forest and B'mouth let alone tough matches that in the past were just that not written off weeks before.

Frank has no chance and is only driving the bus to the end of the season not to a new start .......just get there safe.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Blue Orca said:

Pulisic should be nowhere near this game as Brentford can get physical and that will see him go into hiding. 

When I said Pulisic thought we were playing this weekend now seeing that is not happening so don't think he will feature in our next game unless from the bench.

• Agree 1

On 22/04/2023 at 00:19, chara said:

Hmm...catch up...Sterling as a "false 9" ?...instead of or as well as a "false footballer"?

Cruel, even if true🤩

On 22/04/2023 at 00:19, chara said:

Frank has no chance and is only driving the bus to the end of the season not to a new start .......just get there safe.

Yep, 'no chance' is about right.

On 20/04/2023 at 10:31, boratsbrother said:

Chances are we continue to struggle for the remaining games of the season, so I think it would be best to play those who are leaving rather than our young players. Those who will be leaving won't be effected by further bad performances and losses, so I see that as a better option than bringing in the young players who could then start next season coming off the back of a run of poor performances and losses and already doubting themselves. Best for the likes of Forfana2 and others who've been  relitively untainted by this year's woe to be left out to let them start fresh under a new manager next season.

An alternative view would be to play the younger players to give them experience without extra pressure of the games really counting for anything. If they do well it will be a boost for next year. At the very least we can see what kind of player they are.  Having nothing to lose will surely make them play without fear as they cannot do worse than some of the so called stars and at least they will bring enthusiasm and energy? 

On 21/04/2023 at 15:19, chara said:

Just sad that we are looking at what would be considered "low hanging fruit' with trepidation and no real feeling of confidence...not just Brentford but doubts about getting anything from Forest and B'mouth let alone tough matches that in the past were just that not written off weeks before.

Yes, the wheels had already come off the bus before Frank came back.