Cole Palmer signs for Chelsea

My Blood Is Blue

Palmer has signed a seven-year contract – with a club option of a further year – at Stamford Bridge and will join up with Mauricio Pochettino’s squad ahead of our Premier League fixture with Nottingham Forest. 

‘I’m excited to get started and it feels great to sign,’ said Palmer. ‘I’ve joined Chelsea because the project here sounds good and because of the platform I will have to try to showcase my talents. It is a young and hungry squad and, hopefully, we can do something special here.’

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/article/cole-palmer-signs-for-chelsea

image.png

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm really happy about this , every time I've seen him play I've been impressed with him , he's definitely got something about him. 

Lets all hope his signing is  not at the expense of Conor going . 

Yeah an exciting signing. He can play RW, LW and 10 so gives us good depth.  Maybe some concern it's another 21 year old but could be worth the gamble given his talent. 

Agree that if it's at the expense of Conor then it's not worth it. 

The worrying thing is that, according to Pochettino, Palmer was not his signing; he was bought entirely on the initiative of the board, with no input at all from the manager.

I can understand the presence of an overall strategic framework in shaping the club's acquisition policy, but to buy players with no consultation with the manager is a recipe for disaster. You can't, in all dignity as a manager,  accept the rug being pulled out from under your feet by outgoings, and having unsolicited incomings foisted upon you.

11 minutes ago, RDCW said:

The worrying thing is that, according to Pochettino, Palmer was not his signing; he was bought entirely on the initiative of the board, with no input at all from the manager.

I can understand the presence of an overall strategic framework in shaping the club's acquisition policy, but to buy players with no consultation with the manager is a recipe for disaster. You can't, in all dignity as a manager,  accept the rug being pulled out from under your feet by outgoings, and having unsolicited incomings foisted upon you.

I read that he had approved the signing. 

1 hour ago, RDCW said:

I always think that if you're going to be judged and possibly lose your job then you should be consulted about the players you'd like to a degree. We've signed Jackson on Pochettinos say so apparently but the boffins have gone bananas with regards to hoovering up young Brazilian kids who nobody else at the club can have the first idea if they're any good at all. 

It's really not a good look and if they do get rid of players he's already spoken in glowing terms about then someone really needs to put them back in their box and hide the cash tin. 

1 hour ago, RDCW said:

I wouldn’t expect Poch to really know Palmer that well, so I didn’t expect this was his signing. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Joe Shields is ex-city, as are Lavia and Palmer.

He’s head coach at the end of the day. I’d be concerned if he has zero input in a whole raft of signings, but i don’t really see the Palmer signing and Poch’s lack of input in it , as a major concern. In this scenario, I would imagine Poch is happy to go with the recommendation of those who know Palmer better.

I listened to the press conference after reading some bits (it's on tocws)

He said the technical directors brought Palmer to him and explained how he fitted into the project, and said a lot about it being the work of the technical directors.

He later said it is normal when you join a club to have little input on the first window as plans for the squad are being put into place from the moment the previous window shuts. He expects to have more input from today onwards for the next windows.

Whether that happens or not remains to be seen.

We’ve bought two ex Man C academy products for £100m while we can’t wait to get rid of our own. It feels like this is done out of spite and not with the best interest of the club at heart.

None of this is Palmers fault. I wish him the best of luck here! But 1 481 minutes for Man C in all comps scoring 6 and assisting 2 isn’t exactly stellar output for £45m… 

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=2568335323329954

I like this kid. He seems to be very clear headed no nonsense type of lad. Always composed in the game.

I also like that he seems to make some non standard decisions - a few times when he got a ball on the wing and did not get any options to go forward instead of passing back to the closest teammate he chose to dribble in the middle and play through balls to further teammates, one of this examples is when he put Chilly 1v1 against Martinez. This non standard behaviour really puts other teams off balance and has the ability to unlock tight defences.

Edited by Bones
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 28/09/2023 at 14:35, Bones said:

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=2568335323329954

I like this kid. He seems to be very clear headed no nonsense type of lad. Always composed in the game.

I also like that he seems to make some non standard decisions - a few times when he got a ball on the wing and did not get any options to go forward instead of passing back to the closest teammate he chose to dribble in the middle and play through balls to further teammates, one of this examples is when he put Chilly 1v1 against Martinez. This non standard behaviour really puts other teams off balance and has the ability to unlock tight defences.

Like him too - so glad we signed him.

• Like 1

So far, so good. Certainly wasn't the player I expected having watched very little of him previously. He's far more of a creative passer/crosser than an out and out dribbling winger. That's not to say he's slow, he is quick enough whilst not being rapid. 

To the naked eye he looks like a more effective Havertz. The best comparison that comes to mind for me however would be Juan Mata. The way he cuts inside onto his left and clips balls into dangerous areas has been great to watch. He's not quite at that level yet but already offers far more off the ball than Mata ever did. 

Edited by Willian Dollar Baby
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

So far, so good. Certainly wasn't the player I expected having watched very little of him previously. He's far more of a creative passer/crosser than an out and out dribbling winger. That's not to say he's slow, he is quick enough whilst not being rapid. 

To the naked eye he looks like a more effective Havertz. The best comparison that comes to mind for me however would be Juan Mata. The way he cuts inside onto his left and clips balls into dangerous areas has been great to watch. He's not quite at that level yet but already offers far more off the ball than Mata ever did. 

copyright paulw66 in the Fulham thread.

• Haha 3

Continues to grow more with each game. 

Very much a player that prefers the half spaces between the lines in those wider areas, lacking the real out and out speed of a traditional winger. Sort of fits that role Eriksen had under Poch at Spurs, which is probably where Mount would've ended up playing if he had half a brain and some backbone. Do think he'll end up more as a #10 as time goes on however. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, martin1905 said:

What a man, what a player.

I get a lot of grief when I get things wrong, on this one I will happily say, I told you so.

Just have to be careful not to put him on a pedestal to early only for him to disappoint later.

MM comes to mind POTY for two season and a well thought of chap on this forum, now a complete Barclay banker according to the same persons who put him on the pedestal

18 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Just have to be careful not to put him on a pedestal to early only for him to disappoint later.

MM comes to mind POTY for two season and a well thought of chap on this forum, now a complete Barclay banker according to the same persons who put him on the pedestal

Can't predict what may or may not happen in years to come so just appreciate what this young man is doing right now.

21 years old and putting in man of the match performance's against the best team in the world and playing at a level well beyond his years. 

I'd watched a fair bit of him so knew what we were getting, most thought he was massively overpriced and didn't want him because City were willing to sell. I also said at the time that I have a lot of family, on the wife's side, who are proper Mancs, all of them, literally every single one was gutted he was leaving and didn't want him to go.

It also coincided with the sale of Lewis Hall to Newcastle, a lot of people weren't happy with that or signing Palmer as a replacement, why sign a reject from a rival and sell on of our own?

I think it's pretty obvious now. He's special, let's appreciate it.

• Like 1

Plays as if the game around him is two or three times slower, a quality only a few tend to possess even at their peaks. 

As someone that was also a big advocate of Palmers signing, I couldn't be more satisfied with what he's been able to showcase so far. His penalty taking abilities are also refreshing and showcase a maturity beyond his years. 

Edit. Also just seen he's received his first England call up, well earned. 

Edited by xceleryx

It's hard not to think that Joe Shields had a fair bit in hand with this signing. I may be adding two and two there, but the city link and on a player where the PL had only really seen flashes of his talent.

That would be my take on the situation, which hopefully bodes well for Lavia too. Whilst Lavia was a little more established through playing a season at Southampton, again I think it's probably a signing where the recommendation and link is Joe Shields.