Cole Palmer signs for Chelsea

My Blood Is Blue

On 16/04/2024 at 15:51, Mark Kelly said:

That really is exceptional isn't it? 

Not trying to blow my own horn but I said he stood out for me after only a few games.

He is growing in every game.We have a player at last that needs very little coaching - a player with no  fancy hairstyles that just wants to play football at the highest level- a player that listens politely  to the manager,but trusts his own  talent....goal dust.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, kev61 said:

Not trying to blow my own horn but I said he stood out for me after only a few games.

He is growing in every game.We have a player at last that needs very little coaching - a player with no  fancy hairstyles that just wants to play football at the highest level- a player that listens politely  to the manager,but trusts his own  talent....goal dust.

He'd never scored a league goal until he came here and now he's fights now for the golden boot. 

He is clearly a great talent with brilliant technical ability, quick feet and a brain like a chess grandmaster seeing two or three steps ahead. However,  I do think it's unfair not to give a bit more credit to Poch for giving him a completlely free reign to express himself and not bog him down with pressing and defensive work. Other players are also linking up well with him now, which is making Palmer eveb better.

Furthermore, what's very noticeable this season is that we are creating and scoring from so many more different plays. For years we were very predictable and relied heavily on set plays and  spamming crosses into the box, but now we are crucially able to open teams up through the middle which is making us far more difficult to contain and resulting in shed loads of more goals and chances.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

He'd never scored a league goal until he came here and now he's fights now for the golden boot. 

He is clearly a great talent with brilliant technical ability, quick feet and a brain like a chess grandmaster seeing two or three steps ahead. However,  I do think it's unfair not to give a bit more credit to Poch for giving him a completlely free reign to express himself and not bog him down with pressing and defensive work. Other players are also linking up well with him now, which is making Palmer eveb better.

Furthermore, what's very noticeable this season is that we are creating and scoring from so many more different plays. For years we were very predictable and relied heavily on set plays and  spamming crosses into the box, but now we are crucially able to open teams up through the middle which is making us far more difficult to contain and resulting in shed loads of more goals and chances.

Interesting.Palmer is a rare breed of  of player that it's hard to get wrong.

Put him anywhere in a forward position and he will do well -so I wouldn't give Poch too much praise.

12 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Interesting.Palmer is a rare breed of  of player that it's hard to get wrong.

Put him anywhere in a forward position and he will do well -so I wouldn't give Poch too much praise.

Poch continues to get the blame for every negative but no credit for any of the positives. 😟

I honestly can't remember a Chelsea  manager being so unfairly judged. 😟

Edited by boratsbrother

3 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Poch continues to get the blame for every negative but no credit for any of the positives. 😟

It a good way to deflect the quality of the squad. 

8 hours ago, Sciatika said:

ISTM, there is no silver bullet. The causes of organisational problems like this are multivariate. We must get the best from the club, the senior management, the medical and coaching staff and the squad and put them ALL together to be a successful club. There are shortcomings in all of those. We can choose to apportion blame as we see fit - identifying key issues but, in the end, we have to see it in the context of the other problems in the club. So, while I see issues with the coach, I would like to see where we are at the end of the season, what alternatives are available in the summer and how much it will cost. We might get a better bang for the buck by focusing on the squad or the medical department. It might be better to give the players a rest rather than upgrading the medics. If we can fix the injury problems, we might get away with a smaller squad, lower wages, and a better overall financial position. And so on.

Stop making sense ! 😉

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

ok fair enough although I could talk all day why I disagree.

Let's see how he handles the return of Enzo, Disasi  and Colwill - Gallagher, Caceido,Silva and Trev were excellent in their formation against Everton and the same formation should start against city imo.

5 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68852174

❝Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says Cole Palmer was asking to leave the club for two years before he eventually joined Chelsea.❞

Seems to me Pep won't admit he let a prize salmon get away.

He got it right with Sterling but not Palmer.

Can't win them all old chap as Madrid showed  recently....and as we will today!

Edited by kev61
  • Like 1

On 16/04/2024 at 01:27, paulw66 said:

Any more ?

Any more? Not sure what you mean to be honest. Yes he’s scored goals, but there’s still 9/20 from the penalty spot. 

It says a lot we praise a player in such a way that has scored less than 10 from open play. 

1 minute ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Any more? Not sure what you mean to be honest. Yes he’s scored goals, but there’s still 9/20 from the penalty spot. 

It says a lot we praise a player in such a way that has scored less than 10 from open play. 

Maths not your strong point?

On 18/04/2024 at 11:01, boratsbrother said:

. 😟

How about Roberto de Matteo A champions league winner?

I didn't disagree with  rdm getting replaced - but he has achieved more in his short time than Poch.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, kev61 said:

How about Roberto de Matteo A champions league winner?

I didn't disagree with  rdm getting replaced - but he has achieved more in his short time than Poch.

And you know full well you are not comparing like with like in terms of the situations of the team, club and proven quality of the players.

Back then we were always just another change of manager away from winning big trophies. We had a team with a number of its all-time greatest players.  Who has Poch gott of proven high quality? A 40yesr old Silva, a well past it Sterling and  constantly crocked James and Chilly and then, none of the current lot would be in an all-time list of Chelsea greats.

Furthermore, my support for Poch is not just about him. It's about our history of chopping and changing managers and NEVER giving them time all other clubs give their managers, and i include RDM in that list too. We got away with it because the we had a huge financial advantage over every club bar Utd and enough great players to help new managers win things. Times have changed enournously since those days, both on and off the pitch but too many fans simply won't accept where we currently are  and have  this  "we are Chelsea so we should win things" attitude. It's placing a demand on the manager and club which isn't currently a realistic  one. 

9 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

And you know full well you are not comparing like with like in terms of the situations of the team, club and proven quality of the players.

Back then we were always just another change of manager away from winning big trophies. We had a team with a number of its all-time greatest players.  Who has Poch gott of proven high quality? A 40yesr old Silva, a well past it Sterling and  constantly crocked James and Chilly and then, none of the current lot would be in an all-time list of Chelsea greats.

Furthermore, my support for Poch is not just about him. It's about our history of chopping and changing managers and NEVER giving them time all other clubs give their managers, and i include RDM in that list too. We got away with it because the we had a huge financial advantage over every club bar Utd and enough great players to help new managers win things. Times have changed enournously since those days, both on and off the pitch but too many fans simply won't accept where we currently are  and have  this  "we are Chelsea so we should win things" attitude. It's placing a demand on the manager and club which isn't currently a realistic  one. 

All well and good but what planet is Poch on that plays Gallagher on the wing?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

It's a lovely idea .

Let's stick with AVB MKII

45 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's a lovely idea .

Let's stick with AVB MKII

You and a number of others were calling for Poch to go before we even got to Christmas. Will you and the others give the next manager a few months to turn us into a top 4-6  quality team?

If Poch is sacked we are 100% certain not going to get either of the two elite managers  from City and Liverpool. Significantly below that level are managers we've already sacked and another who is many years past his best Furthermore, none of those managers play the kind of attacking football needed at the top of the league these days.  Below that level and we will be back to taking another complete punt.  We'll then have the manager spending months getting to know the players, who he likes and doesn't like and probably trying to play another style of football. Unless we find a new genius, that'll probably be another season  of treading water while the team starts to take shape and resulting in us  being no further forward than where we are now and so the calls for a new manager will start all over again.  Imho, giving Poch another season would be the much more sensible option.

Finally, be honest here.

For all our problems in defence, if we had a striker who had scored just a few of the many chances we created in two games at Wembley, we would have won the League Cup and be in the final of the FA Cup. I'm not talking about needing to be a top level striker here, just an ok one who should and would have scored enough goals from those chances we created. Such small margins between success and failure this season. 

Btw. I think Jackson has had a good season overall, but he badly needs a dose of  self belief and composure in those one on ones when he's got time to think about what he needs to do. 

Edited by boratsbrother
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

You and a number of others were calling for Poch to go before we even got to Christmas. Will you and the others give the next manager a few months to turn us into a top 4-6  quality team?

If Poch is sacked we are 100% certain not going to get either of the two elite managers  from City and Liverpool. Significantly below that level are managers we've already sacked and another who is many years past his best Furthermore, none of those managers play the kind of attacking football needed at the top of the league these days.  Below that level and we will be back to taking another complete punt.  We'll then have the manager spending months getting to know the players, who he likes and doesn't like and probably trying to play another style of football. Unless we find a new genius, that'll probably be another season  of treading water while the team starts to take shape and resulting in us  being no further forward than where we are now and so the calls for a new manager will start all over again.  Imho, giving Poch another season would be the much more sensible option.

Finally, be honest here.

For all our problems in defence, if we had a striker who had scored just a few of the many chances we created in two games at Wembley, we would have won the League Cup and be in the final of the FA Cup. I'm not talking about needing to be a top level striker here, just an ok one who should and would have scored enough goals from those chances we created. Such small margins between success and failure this season. 

Btw. I think Jackson has had a good season overall, but he badly needs a dose of  self belief and composure in those one on ones when he's got time to think about what he needs to do. 

When the chips are down he's a coward , he consistently makes decisions that adversely affect the side through his cowardice like playing Gallagher as a left winger as he was scared of Walker , he let a player who is desperate to have an operation start a game he had no right to start because he was a coward and swerved his responsibility to the side .

We keep losing stupid avoidable goals because he hasn't coached the defence properly in  nine months.

All that will happen next season is we will fail at the last hurdle because of his ingrained shortcomings .

15 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

When the chips are down he's a coward , he consistently makes decisions that adversely affect the side through his cowardice like playing Gallagher as a left winger as he was scared of Walker , he let a player who is desperate to have an operation start a game he had no right to start because he was a coward and swerved his responsibility to the side .

We keep losing stupid avoidable goals because he hasn't coached the defence properly in  nine months.

All that will happen next season is we will fail at the last hurdle because of his ingrained shortcomings .

To be fair, the decision to play Gallagher on the left worked. 

Jackson and VAR let us down. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ham said:

To be fair, the decision to play Gallagher on the left worked. 

Jackson and VAR let us down. 

I've just seen an info-graphic that states in the first half , 41% of our attacks came down the right wing , 41% through the middle and 18% down the left . It may nominally have worked but it made us more predictable .

As for VAR the most incredible thing for me was we didn't even get a corner from the deflection , how much more "clear and obvious" does it need to be for these buffoons?

Edited by Mark Kelly

6 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I've just seen an info-graphic that states in the first half , 41% of our attacks came down the right wing , 41% through the middle and 18% down the left . It may nominally have worked but it made us more predictable .

As for VAR the most incredible thing for me was we didn't even get a corner from the deflection , how much more "clear and obvious" does it need to be for these buffoons?

Gallagher kept Walker quiet though. Look at where they caused us problems all game.  Down their left.  

I thought the experiment worked.  Not that I'd advocate it again though Mark.