Cole Palmer signs for Chelsea

My Blood Is Blue

On 05/10/2023 at 00:43, xceleryx said:

Continues to grow more with each game. 

Very much a player that prefers the half spaces between the lines in those wider areas, lacking the real out and out speed of a traditional winger. Sort of fits that role Eriksen had under Poch at Spurs, which is probably where Mount would've ended up playing if he had half a brain and some backbone. Do think he'll end up more as a #10 as time goes on however. 

I think so too, 10 or 8. With Palmer and Gallagher we have two brilliant young English midfielders in the heart of our side. 💙

1 hour ago, xceleryx said:

Plays as if the game around him is two or three times slower, a quality only a few tend to possess even at their peaks. 

As someone that was also a big advocate of Palmers signing, I couldn't be more satisfied with what he's been able to showcase so far. His penalty taking abilities are also refreshing and showcase a maturity beyond his years. 

Edit. Also just seen he's received his first England call up, well earned. 

16 minutes ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Best signing for years. Great players settle immediately and he appears to have done that, taking his chance and starting regularly. Great attitude too. £45m. What a steal. An absolute steal. 

2 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Can't predict what may or may not happen in years to come so just appreciate what this young man is doing right now.

21 years old and putting in man of the match performance's against the best team in the world and playing at a level well beyond his years. 

I'd watched a fair bit of him so knew what we were getting, most thought he was massively overpriced and didn't want him because City were willing to sell. I also said at the time that I have a lot of family, on the wife's side, who are proper Mancs, all of them, literally every single one was gutted he was leaving and didn't want him to go.

It also coincided with the sale of Lewis Hall to Newcastle, a lot of people weren't happy with that or signing Palmer as a replacement, why sign a reject from a rival and sell on of our own?

I think it's pretty obvious now. He's special, let's appreciate it.

Yes, yes, yes.

Plays the game at his pace. 20 years old. 

City have got this one wrong. Brave for him to leave, and he's brave on the field too.

• Agree 1

Balls of absolute steel staying so composed taking that penalty.  Fair play to the lad. 

He's got the looks of a really impressive player about him.  Shows some really admirable qualities for someone so young and so soon after moving clubs at this stage of his development. 

Now if we can just discover a slight knock to prevent him wasting 10 days with Gareth Southgate.....

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Plays as if the game around him is two or three times slower, a quality only a few tend to possess even at their peaks. 

It does help that he is two or three times slower than the other forwards: Jackson, Sterling and Mudryk.
Or at least playing amongst speed merchants is always going to make the skillful partner look much better.

As someone that was also a big advocate of Palmers signing, I couldn't be more satisfied with what he's been able to showcase so far. His penalty taking abilities are also refreshing and showcase a maturity beyond his years. 

I'm impressed but i think there is also a bit of hype going on here.  Some of that is teasing Man City - much as we keep being told how stupid we have been not to trust Lampety, Gilmour, Livramento and Hall.  Plenty of games where out puppet-master of the sprinters hasn't created much.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

City have got this one wrong. Brave for him to leave, and he's brave on the field too.

Disagree, because I make Guardiola right on his comments yesterday about "big clubs" and selling players. Palmer's situation was not unlike De Bruyne's or Salah's here a decade ago. A clear young talent who, if they ever will be elite, won't be for another 2 or 3 years. But at a club who are elite now, and need to do things in the immediate to keep themselves there. Palmer is what happens when you just have too many good players and competition is sky high, and we just get to see it from the other side now.

I do think there's a really well-placed excitement about him that could very easily tip into crushing expectations, or even delusion. I'm very enamoured with him, by how confident and calm he seems, but it's still very early days.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Disagree, because I make Guardiola right on his comments yesterday about "big clubs" and selling players. Palmer's situation was not unlike De Bruyne's or Salah's here a decade ago. A clear young talent who, if they ever will be elite, won't be for another 2 or 3 years. But at a club who are elite now, and need to do things in the immediate to keep themselves there. Palmer is what happens when you just have too many good players and competition is sky high, and we just get to see it from the other side now.

I do think there's a really well-placed excitement about him that could very easily tip into crushing expectations, or even delusion. I'm very enamoured with him, by how confident and calm he seems, but it's still very early days.

Well, if you look at City, they will play circa 60 games a season. They sold Mahrez and Torres last year, and Sterling the year before. Bernardo Silva is 29.

I think they have room for one more. Look at their bench yesterday. 2 goalies, and 8 players from 9. Maybe he did need to leave to thrive, but I think they will regret it

MC.PNG

I think the best comment is he looks as if he might well become the player we thought we had got with Havertz.

Very much so far so good and another factor is he has arrived at Chelsea at a good time for his age and the teams stage of progress...had he arrived with established older players he may well have been lost in the KDB type twilight zone.

His penalty yesterday (as was the big H's) was a classic no nonsense beat the keeper with power and placement,,,,no jigging about and mind games.a ballsy one ..with all the drama involved...final minute,s vital goal, old team and some disgraceful gamesmanship by Citeh....very impressive.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, martin1905 said:

Can't predict what may or may not happen in years to come so just appreciate what this young man is doing right now.

21 years old and putting in man of the match performance's against the best team in the world and playing at a level well beyond his years. 

I'd watched a fair bit of him so knew what we were getting, most thought he was massively overpriced and didn't want him because City were willing to sell. I also said at the time that I have a lot of family, on the wife's side, who are proper Mancs, all of them, literally every single one was gutted he was leaving and didn't want him to go.

It also coincided with the sale of Lewis Hall to Newcastle, a lot of people weren't happy with that or signing Palmer as a replacement, why sign a reject from a rival and sell on of our own?

I think it's pretty obvious now. He's special, let's appreciate it.

Not disagreeing with you but do find it odd to claim Palmer is Hall’s replacement. One is a LB/CM, the other a CAM/RW…

4 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Not disagreeing with you but do find it odd to claim Palmer is Hall’s replacement. One is a LB/CM, the other a CAM/RW…

Colwill replaces Hall who replaced Gilmour.  Colwill is easily the best.

• 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I have to say it: if he could improve his finishing, he would be one of Europe's best.

And develop a bit more of a right foot.

There are occasions where opportunities would open up more if he was more comfortable and confident in using his right. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

And develop a bit more of a right foot.

There are occasions where opportunities would open up more if he was more comfortable and confident in using his right. 

He is very one footed.  But my god is it a good one!  Very talented and absolutely key for us moving forward. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Imagine what he would be doing if we were good

image.thumb.png.3e53b33b77de10752b05780653111288.png

It really is quite incredible. Whatever happens with the management and ownership, Palmer is going to be absolutely critical for our rebuild going forward. 

Cole has been our best player to date.

Having said this I have noticed a couple of times when we gel attacking wise with slick passing leading to a chance on goal, Palmer is not normally involved. 

Weird.

He has not worked as a 10 so stays wide on the right yet Mudryk looked promising there recently. 

No easy answers unfortunately.

21 minutes ago, jasonb said:

Having said this I have noticed a couple of times when we gel attacking wise with slick passing leading to a chance on goal, Palmer is not normally involved. 

Weird.

He has not worked as a 10 so stays wide on the right yet Mudryk looked promising there recently. 

Agree..... the Havertz we expected,,

No easy answers indeed,,,,that is why The Poch gets paid big bucks....(remind me...what is his "reported" payday slip?) if they were easy most of us here would be lining up for the job !

9 hours ago, jasonb said:

Weird.

Here's the pickle I see with Palmer, who has been excellent I mind add first.

When he plays wide and inverted it means he has virtually the whole pitch in front of him while being on his dominate side. When he plays as a  #10 through the middle, because he's so one footed he doesn't really utilise the left spaces as much as he as no real right foot. So you're only giving him the right half of the pitch, which means less space ahead and more bodies around him. 

He's a little like Ziyech in ways. Not a really a winger, nor a wide forward, and not really a full blooded 10. 

Mudryk can play with both feet, but his burst of speed is also great with being able to roll his man and then drive forward. Said this before but his playmaking abilities are underrated and should he used as more than just a speedy winger that stays wide.

• Like 1