Burnley 1 Chelsea 4

JaneB

9 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Yeah but we'd have to sacrifice an Academy player or the 2nd keeper on the bench to do that.  Is it worth it?

No we don't, they say he's banned so we just replace him with one of the others, he's then free to play the next game having served his suspension in a game he wasn't fit for. 

18 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

No we don't, they say he's banned so we just replace him with one of the others, he's then free to play the next game having served his suspension in a game he wasn't fit for. 

So we'd get the right to GK3 on the bench back.  Fantastic.

(did the sarcasm come through this time  😉  )

• Haha 3

On 04/10/2023 at 01:49, My Blood Is Blue said:

As long as Caicedo is fit, I absolutely would not be changing him, Enzo or Gallagher, they seem to have started to get a good understanding between them, with Enzo and Gallagher alternating who is the further forward and I thought they had a great game as a unit last night.

Palmer has to start again, as does Muryk if he's fit, so the only decision to then make is Jackson or Broja. Let's not forget Jackson got himself a goal on his last start as well. I'd probably lean towards Jackson, just because we don't want to rush Broja more than needed.

Sanchez

Cucurella - Disasi - Silva - Colwill

Gallagher - Caicedo - Enzo

Palmer - Jackson - Mudryk

Would be my line up also if fitness permits also. 

Just now, Waspeze said:

When is Gusto back from supsension?  is it for the Arsenal game?   (I realise Cucu has covered his position well so not desperately needed!)

He has one more game to miss, after missing Brighton and Fulham, so Burnley should be the end of the ban.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

He has one more game to miss, after missing Brighton and Fulham, so Burnley should be the end of the ban.

If we look closer at the ban...not this one in particular actually but it is a good example of the insidious cloying and even destructive negative  influence the PG lot have on the Game and Chelsea because it is part of our Football World but the game in general.

Our biased view point (that doesn't mean incorrect) is that the Red Card was an injustice and a wrong call..it altered the chemistry of the game and has caused yet another shuffling around in the Chelsea line up already disrupted by various circumstances. 

So with one wave of a card the ref has influenced four Chelsea games...run that through the EPL (and elsewhere) and the influence on the tables and results is almost immeasurable.

The weekend's fiasco is just the over publicised media hysteria reaction of incidents that are a very obvious and large tip of the iceberg.

GAME MANAGEMENT is the issue...not game control and overseeing the correct interpretation of the laws of the game with common sense handling rather than edicts from the PG lot on what is the "right" way(changeable according to any current fad whim) to handle situations...

As droy points out...the ultimate harm(not limited to) is to the grass roots game and the dedicated football people who give their time to ensure the game is played everywhere.

Injury update ahead of the match courtesy of the official site.

Benoit Badiashile – in partial team training.
Trevoh Chalobah – in partial team training.
Ben Chilwell – starting the early stages of his rehabilitation programme.
Marcus Bettinelli - continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme.
Wesley Fofana - continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme.
Christopher Nkunku - continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme.
Romeo Lavia – continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme.

Appears like good news on Reece James (although suspended), Mudryk and Broja.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, xceleryx said:

Injury update ahead of the match courtesy of the official site.

Benoit Badiashile – in partial team training.
Trevoh Chalobah – in partial team training.
Ben Chilwell – starting the early stages of his rehabilitation programme.
Marcus Bettinelli - continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme.
Wesley Fofana - continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme.
Christopher Nkunku - continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme.
Romeo Lavia – continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme.

Appears like good news on Reece James (although suspended), Mudryk and Broja.

No Chukwuemeka on the list either, which I’m taking as a good thing.

Just popped onto the match thread to see if the concensus had flip flopped over to having us back as top four contenders yet after the second win of the season.

Interesting to see people's thoughts over team selection. Personally I don't see Maurice selecting Maatsen at LB given his preference to play him in an advanced midfield position. I'd imagine the more likely formation would be Silva and Desasi in the centre with Cucurella on the right and Colwill on the left and Maatsen in the Chilwell role at left wing/wingback if he starts at all

More likely it will be:

Clark Kent

Cucurella, Desasi, Silva, Colwill

Caicedo (if fit), Gallagher, Fernandez

Palmer, Jackson, Mudryk

This all gets thrown in the air however if Caicedo doesn't start. What is slightly worrying is that offensively this isn't a million miles away from our most effective option, Nkunku aside. It won't exactly strike fear into the hearts of the opposition due to its brittle nature, lack of creativity and general inability to put the ball into the back of the net. Rather than the crossbar challenge perhaps the coaches should have the players practice maybe lowering their aim by another 6 inches?

Edited by Holymoly
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Holymoly said:

More likely it will be:

Clark Kent

Cucurella, Desasi, Silva, Colwill

Caicedo (if fit), Gallagher, Fernandez

Palmer, Jackson, Mudryk

This all gets thrown in the air however if Caicedo doesn't start. What is slightly worrying is that offensively this isn't a million miles away from our most effective option, Nkunku aside. It won't exactly strike fear into the hearts of the opposition due to its brittle nature, lack of creativity and general inability to put the ball into the back of the net.

I’m not so sure.  It’s really difficult to assess because Nkunku hasn’t played a competitive game for us and Cole Palmer is new etc, but my perception of our best starting 11 when everyone’s fit and on form, and what I think I’d pick if we were in a CL final would be something like this:

Sanchez

James.     Silva.       Colwill.       Chilwell 

Caicedo.    Enzo 

Sterling.            Palmer.            Nkunku 

Broja

Reece and Chilly at full back is a huge change to how we play offensively, Nkunku could play LW, number 10 or striker, which then allows you to bring Mudryk if he’s firing on all four cylinders, and perhaps as importantly, our bench would consist of 

Lavia, Gallagher, Jackson, Mudryk and Madueke.  

That is pretty different to what we’ll put out today in fairness. 

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

I’m not so sure.  It’s really difficult to assess because Nkunku hasn’t played a competitive game for us and Cole Palmer is new etc, but my perception of our best starting 11 when everyone’s fit and on form, and what I think I’d pick if we were in a CL final would be something like this:

Sanchez

James.     Silva.       Colwill.       Chilwell 

Caicedo.    Enzo 

Sterling.            Palmer.            Nkunku 

Broja

Reece and Chilly at full back is a huge change to how we play offensively, Nkunku could play LW, number 10 or striker, which then allows you to bring Mudryk if he’s firing on all four cylinders, and perhaps as importantly, our bench would consist of 

Lavia, Gallagher, Jackson, Mudryk and Madueke.  

That is pretty different to what we’ll put out today in fairness. 

Controversial but going forward I'd have a fully fit Wes Fofana in for Silva.