Burnley 1 Chelsea 4

JaneB

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Burnley at Turf Moor before, during and after the game.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 15:00 hours on Saturday, 7th October 2023 (Local UK time/date)

It's important to note that in two games at least now , the removal of Mudryk has led to the opposition coming more into the game , it's vital we keep him fit and vital we keep the opposition quiet too . Mudryk is going to be a great player once he's totally bedded in.  We , for all the haranguing in the media have bought some half decent players 

• Agree 3

Suddenly there is a selection dilemma- Mudryk (assuming he's fit) or Sterling on the left, Jackson or Broja up front? Surely the other 9 from last night have to keep their places. A left-footed player at RB might not give you many overlaps but it does give you great passing angles and makes it easier to deal with wingers that cut-in.

With every returning player there are going to be more and more dilemmas. Hopefully Badiashile and Chukwuemeka will be on the bench v Burnley.

Important to keep momentum here. At the same time, I have watched Burnley a couple of times this season, and I think some similarities to ourselves, in that they have played better than the points they have secured.

I think they might get their first win at Luton tonight. They have very quick and direct players, some with a low centre of gravity who can cause us problems. 
We cannot afford our young squad to be complacent after these last two wins. The Italian lad Koleosho is a threat, and their striker Lyle Foster returns after a ban tonight. He has looked a handful too in his early games. 

• Like 2

Just now, blueboy1905 said:

Under no circumstances can Sterling play. He's absolute trash. Play Broja up front with Jackson on the wing if Mudryk is unavailable.

I thought he was awful when he came on yesterday , however , he had been ill so maybe we should cut him some slack , I'm a fan of competition for places and theres no way he should just walk back into the side when Broja , Mudryk and Palmer all did well against Fulham. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I thought he was awful when he came on yesterday , however , he had been ill so maybe we should cut him some slack , I'm a fan of competition for places and theres no way he should just walk back into the side when Broja , Mudryk and Palmer all did well against Fulham. 

Would you start Jackson?

Edited by Miguelito07

18 minutes ago, Miguelito07 said:

Would you start Jackson?

Depending on the knock Broja had to be honest , I'd be inclined to start Broja even though I think Jackson has been better than he's been portrayed , I think providing that all three are fully fit and we don't risk aggravating their injuries that yes I think I would. 

13 hours ago, Ham said:

What I would like to see.  Jackson off the bench. 

Screenshot_20231002_230621_CFC-Bluescom.thumb.jpg.e1ba43f6abfcbce333b0cdf0e7666189.jpg

I don't see any changes to the back 4. Disasi will play for sure.

Pretty certain Jackson comes back in. They will treat Broja carefully in terms of game time IMO 

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I thought he was awful when he came on yesterday , however , he had been ill so maybe we should cut him some slack , 

He's been ill and came on at CF.

The only tinkering in attack I could see is Palmer as the 10 with Mudryk and Sterling wide. That would mean leaving out one of the midfield 3 though.

Edited by paulw66

As long as Caicedo is fit, I absolutely would not be changing him, Enzo or Gallagher, they seem to have started to get a good understanding between them, with Enzo and Gallagher alternating who is the further forward and I thought they had a great game as a unit last night.

Palmer has to start again, as does Muryk if he's fit, so the only decision to then make is Jackson or Broja. Let's not forget Jackson got himself a goal on his last start as well. I'd probably lean towards Jackson, just because we don't want to rush Broja more than needed.

Sanchez

Cucurella - Disasi - Silva - Colwill

Gallagher - Caicedo - Enzo

Palmer - Jackson - Mudryk

• Like 1

At the moment it looks like we will have these players available:

GK: Sanchez, Petrovic, Bergström

DF: Silva, Disasi, Cucurella, Maatsen, Colwill, Badiashile (maybe on the bench)

CM: Gallagher, Fernandez, Caicedo, Ugochukwa

AM: Sterling, Mudryk, Madueke, Palmer, Chukwuemeka (maybe on the bench)

ST: Jackson, Broja

Still not enough senior players available to make a matchday squad without 2 GKs on the bench or some development squad players.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

It’s just so typical of our luck these past few seasons. Mudryk has been improving with every game he’s been playing, he finally gets his first goal and so of course, now gets injured.

poch is helping him 😀

Predicted team:

Sanchez 

Cucurella  Disasi  Thiago   Colwill

Caicedo 

Gallagher               Enzo 

Palmer                                        Sterling 

Jackson         

Broja was great the other day. Looked more refined than pre-injury but still had the electric pace and power. Fulham did provide him with a lot of space but a good start anyway. Jackson to come in so his minutes are managed. It's great to have a few options finally. 

I thought that finally the balance of the midfield looked right so expect us to continue with the same dual 8 set-up. Gallagher is the biggest goal threat so glad to see him playing higher so that he can crash the box whilst dropping Enzo deeper gives him more runners to aim at. That midfield three offers a bit of everything. Ball-winning, physicality, stamina and the ability to control the tempo.

Caicedo was my MOTM vs Fulham and is starting to hit his stride. Fantastic physical presence but shouldn't be underestimated how great he is on the ball. His passing range is excellent, I loved some of the back spin he was putting on diagonals which looked destined to run out of play but then slowed into the path of a team mate. 

With Ugochukwu also looking solid and Chukwuemeka back soon not sure where Lavia fits in all this. Given our luck with injuries though I'm sure we'll still end up short! 

Defensively we've looked pretty good all season. Perhaps I'm naive in thinking that a few of the tougher games coming up may suit our team more with more space to play in. Scoring goals is still going to be our biggest downfall. Palmer is definitely helping and isn't quite what I expected, more Juan Mata than Robben.

Edited by Willian Dollar Baby

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

It’s just so typical of our luck these past few seasons. Mudryk has been improving with every game he’s been playing, he finally gets his first goal and so of course, now gets injured.

He's in training pictures today, Mudryk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Can Reece James serve his suspension for this game?

Yep. If we claim he's fit we name him and the officials tell us he cannot play as he has a one match ban and that's it sorted. 

I believe we have to name the player in the side first so they can ban them. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Yep. If we claim he's fit we name him and the officials tell us he cannot play as he has a one match ban and that's it sorted. 

I believe we have to name the player in the side first so they can ban them. 

Yeah but we'd have to sacrifice an Academy player or the 2nd keeper on the bench to do that.  Is it worth it?

• Haha 1