CFCnet 23/24 awards - RESULTS ARE IN!! ×

Tottenham Hotspur 1 Chelsea 4

JaneB

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Sure, but a 4-1 away win against out unbeaten London rivals should be celebrated regardless. This is a new and young side, the performances aren’t going to be the best every week and neither are results, but this is a big result for them.

Mostly agree with you there.

There's a longway to go with this team before we're near to being seriously competitive with the top teams again, but there are at least some periods in games where we do look better now. We've also taken points off Liverpool (admittedly an under coookdd Liverpool) Arsenal and now the team which was top, so that at is proof of us doing better.

Negatives. Still haven't solved any of the real issues in midfield. Same extreme lack of creativity. We constantly give away sloppy goals (Colwill turning his back on the ball on Monday) which puts extra pressure on our under performing forwards. 

Overall though, Poch's first job was to stop the worrying decline and start building from there and I think he's doing that.

I'm patient and except we're not going to do much this season. If we're not serious top four contenders by the 25/26 season then I'll start to worry.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

I would normally agree - but this team is a bunch of players that have no structure.

Poch looks as if he has no idea where and how he plays them.

Only a matter of time for Poch unfortunately and if I'm wrong I will eat my hat 

Well, you can’t really be wrong with something as open ended as this prediction. It’s only a matter of time for most managers , if not all.

Put a time frame on it Kev. Then you can be right or wrong. 
When do you believe Poch will be sacked ? 

2 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

Well, you can’t really be wrong with something as open ended as this prediction. It’s only a matter of time for most managers , if not all.

Put a time frame on it Kev. Then you can be right or wrong. 
When do you believe Poch will be sacked ? 

I will say Christmas.It is logical.If we are still drifting then we should get rid.

I would get rid of him now for the record.

• Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, kev61 said:

I will say Christmas.It is logical.If we are still drifting then we should get rid.

I would get rid of him now for the record.

And bring in who - realistically? What decent manager is going to come to this clown show, and who can fix it? 

IMO it isn’t as much the manager as other fundamental issues at the club.

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Oh for goodness sake 😞 

I know all was not what it seemed in the game but let's grab a bit of joy when we can.

Maybe Poch should still be in there giving them hell, I don't know, but the pic was a bit of light relief.

Why is that remotely interesting?

4 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Thanks for this - very interesting.
I can guess we can take this different ways.

• overly happy about a sloppy performance that should have been done and dusted by 60 mins.
  • Delighted because we beat the Spurs
  • Just a happy group without the internal dissent and deep issues some of think they must have.

I guess we all have our interpretions, but interesting.

10 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I think Michael Oliver had a pretty good game. He missed some things but he got most of the important ones right (apart from the Udogie (sp?) challenge in the first half). 

And one could argue that VAR's job was pretty simple with that one.  "Go to the Monitor to check, but we're certain that's a Red." 

So they could have just helped him.  

Judging by the speed that 2nd yellow came out in the 2nd half though, he knew he'd got the first Udogie challenge wrong. 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Backbiter said:

VAR looked at this and decided Jackson was impeding the keeper's view of Caicedo's shot.

image.png.4852cbd3feacc1b81c6c7aed6eba75d0.png

16 hours ago, Dwmh said:

It goes through his legs, a keeper had to pause for a deflection off either leg in either direction.  Clear interference.  No question.

The idea the goalie paused is laughable. I am not saying I agree or disagree with the decision, but the ball goes in the net whether Jackson is there or not, and that is why I think it is harsh (although ultimately it did us a favour)

The distance the ball travels (either from the shot or the point it passes Jackson) as well.......he doesn't block the vision of the GK. Equally, if Jackson was 6 inches further from goal, or the defender is six inches closer, it changes nothing (in terms of the ball and where it ends up). 

What is more frustrating, is if you compare that to goal Hojberg scored against us last August, where Mendy has to lean to his left to look past Richarlison, and is then unable to save the ball going to his right, and that's allowed to stand. 

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Blue Orca said:

Chelsea u21s were 5-0 down to Oxford Utd !

I'm guessing that is the senior Oxford Utd.  (and the senior Cambridge Utd)
Oxbridge 9, London U21s 1.

Edited by Dwmh
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Ham said:

Your usual negative exaggeration.

He's not. 

Not really.

Been near enough 12 months and it's clear as day exactly what Mudryk is. Anybody holding out hope he is going to become significantly better than he is now is simply deluding themselves.

1 minute ago, Bison said:

Not really.

Been near enough 12 months and it's clear as day exactly what Mudryk is. Anybody holding out hope he is going to become significantly better than he is now is simply deluding themselves.

yeah, players don't ever improve. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

yeah, players don't ever improve. 

Rarely at close to £100m.  Mind you managers might improve, he seems to be doing the wrong things in the wrong places.  Anyone with his pace should be giving the defender 5 yards, not trying to pinch the last 10cm.

14 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

Rarely at close to £100m.  Mind you managers might improve, he seems to be doing the wrong things in the wrong places.  Anyone with his pace should be giving the defender 5 yards, not trying to pinch the last 10cm.

I don't see what price (GBP 62m plus add ons) tag has got to do with it. 

He's a young player, coming from a far inferior league, and is clearly tactically naïve (something that can be worked on) and very raw. 

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I don't see what price (GBP 62m plus add ons) tag has got to do with it. 

He's a young player, coming from a far inferior league, and is clearly tactically naïve (something that can be worked on) and very raw. 

Technically unimpressive too. It's a complete lottery if his first touch kills the ball dead or he kicks it out for a goal kick. 

We have snow today and I did the dental appt I delayed for this game..so cold view....3 points ..4 goals...that's the ultimate bottom line....totally unimpressed by and consider the Spurs meltdown totally unacceptable as a basis for a heroic epic back to the wall legendary performance..the players F'd Up..the coach lost his mind and the Spurs faithful are in ecstasy!

We as a collective may well have blue tinted glasses at times and over critical at others but I can't see anyone on here posting post game "satisfaction"with the same performance from Chelsea...or am I overestimating my fellow posters?..I don't think so!

The so called Battle Of Stamford Bridge...Karma and pay back is truly a bitch......🐔🦁🕺

Probably the wrong place but an extension of the "interfering " with the keeper....as I said..a real grey area and asking /expecting a ref or var to judge something from a totally different angle and perspective is just a step too far.

Watch any goal from behind and in so many instances the keeper can't see the ball clearly or at all due to player presence all around the position of the strike.

An easy if over simplified observation,,,at every or almost every corner a player stands in front of the keeper to deliberately impede the keeper and obstruct his line of sight,,BUT ...unless he actually obviously fouls the keeper nothing is given or even commented on......it's "interfering" with the keeper at every level and every level of the game!

To my simple mind it's just another piece of power to be interpreted as fits an agenda!

Oh and the Manure penalty.?...sigh......the defender's arm was  in the same position before the ball was headed and was looking away with absolutely no idea what was happening behind him...at least Raheem's hand ball although just the bounce it did give him an advantage.  As ever...MY whistle MY rules!

18 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Mostly agree with you there.

There's a longway to go with this team before we're near to being seriously competitive with the top teams again, but there are at least some periods in games where we do look better now. We've also taken points off Liverpool (admittedly an under coookdd Liverpool) Arsenal and now the team which was top, so that at is proof of us doing better.

Negatives. Still haven't solved any of the real issues in midfield. Same extreme lack of creativity. We constantly give away sloppy goals (Colwill turning his back on the ball on Monday) which puts extra pressure on our under performing forwards. 

Overall though, Poch's first job was to stop the worrying decline and start building from there and I think he's doing that.

I'm patient and except we're not going to do much this season. If we're not serious top four contenders by the 25/26 season then I'll start to worry.

This bolded part caught my eye. 

We've also been undercooked in our own way this season. Whether it's through injuries depleting us of our better players, depth quality, or still yet to have been able to field our best eleven (at least on paper). Or in terms of the make up of our squad and the gap in experience it has. This will improve over time the more these younger guys play and build experience, but I find it quite an accurate way of looking at where we are. The fact we've been been able to match up pretty well against some of the bigger sides we've faced and held our own (so far, Man City may be a different kettle of fish) is a positive we can take some solace from.

Much to still improve upon of course, and you've elaborated on a few of those gaps which still do remain, I think the nucleus of what we've got is encouraging however. 

Edited by xceleryx
spelling