Tottenham Hotspur 1 Chelsea 4

JaneB

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Really, really hard to pick a starting XI for this one. 

I'm not even sure what our best 11 players is at the moment. I just know that Mudryk (if fit), Palmer, Sterling and Enzo all need to play and so does Gallagher. If that means leaving Caicedo out then so be it. 

Sanchez, James, Colwill, Silva, Disasi, Enzo, Caicedo, Gallagher, Sterling, Palmer, Mudryk

That'd be. 

Hopefully the bench will have some useful options, GK, Gusto, Badiashile, Cucurella, Big Les, Jackson, Broja, Madueke.......probably Maatsen.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

Sanchez, James, Colwill, Silva, Disasi, Enzo, Caicedo, Gallagher, Sterling, Palmer, Mudryk

That'd be. 

Hopefully the bench will have some useful options, GK, Gusto, Badiashile, Cucurella, Big Les, Jackson, Broja, Madueke.......probably Maatsen.

Yep. i think I would go with the same 11......though I would be tempted by starting Jackson still.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

That'd be. 

Who can neutralize Son Heung-Min? Would love to see some sort of marking on him.

3 hours ago, Chelsea_Matt said:

Three Point Lane!!

…for them

3 xG lane for us (0 scored)

No but in all seriousness I think we'll do well in this game, against the teams near the top we seem to do well because the games are more open and no low block to contend with.

I'm calling it a 2-2 like the Arsenal game. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

3 xG lane for us (0 scored)

No but in all seriousness I think we'll do well in this game, against the teams near the top we seem to do well because the games are more open and no low block to contend with.

I'm calling it a 2-2 like the Arsenal game. 

I think we're going to get our absolute pants pulled down.

Big win for Spurs - pressure piles on Poch.

They are high on confidence. Ours is depleting rapidly.

Edited by Max Fowler
  • Disagree 1

34 minutes ago, johnnybozo said:

If we start Calamity Sanchez it's going to be a demolition.

This is getting into a kepa situation.  he plays fine, keeps a clean sheet with a good save if I recall, and he gets blasted 2 days later on here.

I don't think it is Sanchez who is being targeted.  I'm guessing it is the ex-brighton scouts.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

This is getting into a kepa situation.  he plays fine, keeps a clean sheet with a good save if I recall, and he gets blasted 2 days later on here.

I don't think it is Sanchez who is being targeted.  I'm guessing it is the ex-brighton scouts.

It is the inconsistency and high profile gaffes that will do for him. He lost his place at Brighton don't forget and they were happy to let him go. We should have done much better in our GK business. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dwmh said:

I see the Sanchez situation as quite straight forward....

He has been largely brilliant at stopping shots.  The save he made on Wednesday when the Blackburn player got in behind is a good example (as were a few against Brentford and Villa in particular), and he has also been decent at claiming crosses. 

Where he has been nothing short of woeful in my opinion is when he has the ball at his feet.  Takes too long to get it out of his feet whilst being closed down, and also passes to players under immediate pressure.   

I think I can live with that dynamic providing the instruction to him is not to take any risks.  I'd much rather see a GK hoof it up the pitch first time and risk losing the ball, than f**k about with it and get risk getting caught out and inevitably concede a goal-scoring opportunity. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Rob B said:

Where he has been nothing short of woeful in my opinion is when he has the ball at his feet.  Takes too long to get it out of his feet whilst being closed down, and also passes to players under immediate pressure.   

I don't think he is woeful.  Just Mendy like instead of Kepa like.  Yes we can live with it and perhaps we should be sacking the GK coach that was shouting at him to play at precisely the wrong moments recently.
(I have nothing against Poch taking that kind of risk decision, just as I am fine with the idea that Poch approved Sanchez to go up for that late corner against Brentford.  It would be dreadful if the GK coach made the decision.)

6 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I find it odd that a GK would want to do that. It's more likely he will get in the way than be useful.

There is very little downside.  As Badiashile's goal mid-week showed, penalty box chaos can bring rewards.
I thought it was odd that a) the ball didn't go to him since he looks a lot taller than anyone else we have.  And B why go all the way to the oppo penalty spot and not to the 6 yd box where he might make a difference.

28 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

I don't think he is woeful.  Just Mendy like instead of Kepa like.  Yes we can live with it and perhaps we should be sacking the GK coach that was shouting at him to play at precisely the wrong moments recently.
(I have nothing against Poch taking that kind of risk decision, just as I am fine with the idea that Poch approved Sanchez to go up for that late corner against Brentford.  It would be dreadful if the GK coach made the decision.)

I do.   Off the top of my head so far....

1. Pass that was cut out by Joao Pedro against Brigton, he chipped it over the bar
  2. Hospital ball to Caiceco in the same game.  Ansu Fato should have scored, but he made a good save in fairness
  3. Rice goal against Arsenal 
  4. Two or three occasions where he had held onto the ball too long and been closed down by the attacker (want to say Ollie Watkins and Mbeumo but could be wrong  

Don't get me wrong though, I'd much rather a good goalkeeper who is poor with the ball at his feet, than the other way around

And by the way, that Press Conference was a disgrace. 

The broadcast section was 16 minutes.   The first question about Reece James was answered in about 10 seconds,  there was another one by Simon Johnson on Broja about 10 minutes later, whilst the other 15 minutes were about Poch going back to Tottenham.   "Have you been back to the stadium, are they title contenders, do you have a plan for "Sonny",  what will it mean to go back there??"    Literally every single questions except for two, were about Spurs.  

And Pochettino didn't cover himself in glory answering them so openly and fondly to be honest. 

How about asking about our injury situation generally -  whether we will start with a striker or Palmer/Gallagher as false 10's again - his views on Badiashille and Mudryk coming back in etc 

So frustrating....

Edited by Rob B
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dwmh said:

There is very little downside.  As Badiashile's goal mid-week showed, penalty box chaos can bring rewards.
I thought it was odd that a) the ball didn't go to him since he looks a lot taller than anyone else we have.  And B why go all the way to the oppo penalty spot and not to the 6 yd box where he might make a difference.

But suppose he had gone into the six-yard box and a shot bound for goal deflected off him...

46 minutes ago, Rob B said:

And by the way, that Press Conference was a disgrace. 

The broadcast section was 16 minutes.   The first question about Reece James was answered in about 10 seconds,  there was another one by Simon Johnson on Broja about 10 minutes later, whilst the other 15 minutes were about Poch going back to Tottenham.   "Have you been back to the stadium, are they title contenders, do you have a plan for "Sonny",  what will it mean to go back there??"    Literally every single questions except for two, were about Spurs.  

And Pochettino didn't cover himself in glory answering them so openly and fondly to be honest. 

How about asking about our injury situation generally -  whether we will start with a striker or Palmer/Gallagher as false 10's again - his views on Badiashille and Mudryk coming back in etc 

So frustrating....

One thing I will say Poch looks incredibly relaxed in the presser.

This guy doesn't feel pressure - it's very impressive.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Blue Orca said:

It is the inconsistency and high profile gaffes that will do for him. He lost his place at Brighton don't forget and they were happy to let him go. We should have done much better in our GK business. 

What's being overlooked with Sanchez by many is that he was signed to compete with Kepa, not necessarily be our #1. Then shortly after signing the Courtios gets injured and the Kepa situation unfolds to where he departs out on loan for the season. 

Now, this isn't to suggest that Kepa was our answer either but he performed well last season and was going to likely remain our immediate first choice. We're likely to still target a proper #1 at some point, but that's been difficult to do with Kepa still on the books. His contract ends next season though, so I imagine we'll likely look to shift him in the summer for a nominal fee if we can. Should we manage to do this, we'll be in a far better position to actually bring on board a bonafide first choice option and Sanchez can revert back to being a competent backup.

10 hours ago, Dwmh said:

I don't think it is Sanchez who is being targeted.  I'm guessing it is the ex-brighton scouts

When the club's GK coach and recruitment dept are ex Brighton, there is not really any scouting involved.  

On the other hand I could be completely wrong and the gang of three went to todd & Eggy's with a list of  3rd choice GK's for them to decide which was the best option. 

Edited by ROTG