Chelsea 2 Sheffield United 0

JaneB

Matchday prediction  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Chelsea win
    • Draw
    • Sheffield United win

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Sheffield United at Stamford Bridge before, during and after the game.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 15:00 hours on Saturday, 16th December 2023 (Local UK time/date)

We will win the game. The situation is not good, but it is not as bad as being made out. We lost a game yesterday that I felt we were fairly certain to lose, due to current form and styles of play. I expected us to lose to Newcastle for similar reasons, but the Utd result/performance was annoying as that was a result I felt could go either way. To use a boxing phrase, styles make fights.

I just hope we have at least 1-2 deals in the pipeline for January, but in the pipeline to the extent that they can be completed by the middle of the month, and not right at the end of the month. The last thing we need is young emerging talents aged between 18-24. The players need to be seasoned and experienced players who are at least 26 and upwards.

I know many disagree and that is completely fine. I am convinced that you would see a positive upturn if you can get Toney into the club, alongside an experienced athletic DM in the mould of Jon Obi Mikel. That will mean the likes of Caicedo, Enzo, Gallagher will find themselves on the bench at times until the end of the season, but we need that presence in there to add some height, protection and tactical awareness. I actually think it would really help the other midfielders having that influence in there. Even if this player is on loan due to lack of game time elsewhere, I don't mind as different clubs have different needs. We can look at loan options for Les, who whilst he is this type of player, he does not have the experience and presence we require.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Thiago97 said:

We will win the game. The situation is not good, but it is not as bad as being made out. We lost a game yesterday that I felt we were fairly certain to lose, due to current form and styles of play. I expected us to lose to Newcastle for similar reasons, but the Utd result/performance was annoying as that was a result I felt could go either way. To use a boxing phrase, styles make fights.

I just hope we have at least 1-2 deals in the pipeline for January, but in the pipeline to the extent that they can be completed by the middle of the month, and not right at the end of the month. The last thing we need is young emerging talents aged between 18-24. The players need to be seasoned and experienced players who are at least 26 and upwards.

I know many disagree and that is completely fine. I am convinced that you would see a positive upturn if you can get Toney into the club, alongside an experienced athletic DM in the mould of Jon Obi Mikel. That will mean the likes of Caicedo, Enzo, Gallagher will find themselves on the bench at times until the end of the season, but we need that presence in there to add some height, protection and tactical awareness. I actually think it would really help the other midfielders having that influence in there. Even if this player is on loan due to lack of game time elsewhere, I don't mind as different clubs have different needs. We can look at loan options for Les, who whilst he is this type of player, he does not have the experience and presence we require.

Not Toney - he will destroy our forward line further. If you want to send big Lesser out, I would probably look at Kalvin Philips. 

1 minute ago, Max Fowler said:

Not Toney - he will destroy our forward line further. If you want to send big Lesser out, I would probably look at Kalvin Philips. 

I probably would prefer a different option, but I don't mind Phillips. I would say that would have to be a loan deal, as he has had his injury problems in recent times.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Now this is a must-win.

Well, yes.

It's one thing struggling at Everton, United and Newcastle. It is another failing to beat Sheff United at home. Can just imagine the panic setting in if it's 0-0 after an hour.....

• Like 1

If Poch is in charge for this match (I presume he will be) then anything other than a victory has to see him gone.

Fortunately, I won't be able to watch this one as we'll be out, I may try and ignore the result altogether so I can keep my mood positive as I have a bad feeling we're going to make a mess of this somehow.

42 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Well, yes.

It's one thing struggling at Everton, United and Newcastle. It is another failing to beat Sheff United at home. Can just imagine the panic setting in if it's 0-0 after an hour.....

It’s gonna be tough though, with Wilder in charge now. I can see us drawing.

16 minutes ago, blueboy1905 said:

Apart from flat footed Badiashile who was easily beaten by a simple through ball leading to the first goal.

And Disasi turning his back on the shot for the second goal. Colwill did the same a few weeks ago. Imho for a defender  not doing everything they can to put their body in front of a goal bound shot is the number one crime for any defender.

Just now, Max Fowler said:

You're in trouble when you buy a defender who sounds like "disaster".

Some of the other defenders we're linked with worry me too: Luciano Fiasco, Francoise Débâcle, John O'Ngol, and Harry Maguire.

image.png

I saw something at the weekend saying that Pochettino wants to add height to the side in January which really confirms what I've been banging on about all year , he's scared of the big boys.

• Haha 1