JaneB

Matchday prediction  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Middlesbrough win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/01/24 at 19:00

16 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

After his comments to the media yesterday I'd expect Poch will drop Palmer to the bench to show his media mates what a tough guy man management guru he is. 

I know it’s genuine, but I really enjoy reading how humorously you dislike Poch so much!

• Agree 1

On 01/01/2024 at 14:30, east lower said:

I think the 70 minute performance in the Luton game was ok, as you say we were clinical with the claiming of chances/half-chances. 

Let's hope if we are getting overrun in the last 20 minutes in a particular position he can do something about it and not sit on his hands,or pull a scarf over his nose.

14 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

It's definitely genuine. 

I do try to have a laugh with it though. 

But I do dislike him immensely. 

On the rare occasion that he does get things right it's like he's doing it on purpose to annoy me. 

Same as, I think Broja did it for 5 minutes on Saturday evening as well.

Must be the only thing the coach is actually coaching!! 😉

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, kev61 said:

Let's hope if we are getting overrun in the last 20 minutes in a particular position he can do something about it and not sit on his hands,or pull a scarf over his nose.

There’s little hope of that based on the evidence offered up in the last six months.

Just now, paulw66 said:

I hate VAR as much as the next man, but to not have it in some competitions, and have it others is just rubbish. especially a semi final.

Presumably VAR will be there in the final to make sure we have some goals chalked off by the width of a fly's eyebrow?

Also , I don't think enough is being made of the fact that when we scored our second goal against PNE ,  VAR was reportedly checking for offside when nobody except Silva touched the ball and you literally cannot be offside from a corner in that case , someone needs to answer that one because that was appalling. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Also , I don't think enough is being made of the fact that when we scored our second goal against PNE ,  VAR was reportedly checking for offside when nobody except Silva touched the ball and you literally cannot be offside from a corner in that case , someone needs to answer that one because that was appalling. 

I wouldn't read that deeply into it. VAR checks literally every goal scored, and this check lasted about as long as it takes to watch one replay. My assumption from seeing the displays screens is that whoever is doing the checking has to input something indicating on what basis they're making the check. The most likely thing is the person checking clicked on the wrong part of their touch screen, given they literally couldn't disallow the goal for offside.

Why it took 3 minutes to allow a goal a 4 second replay showed clearly was onside was far more annoying and dubious.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Why it took 3 minutes to allow a goal a 4 second replay showed clearly was onside was far more annoying and dubious.

I got to the point, as it 3-0, where I thought, just disallow it and let's move on

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Its like they were trying to rewrite the visual laws of perspective while we all watched on with our popcorn.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

See  match thread and watch the video.  To  spend just 10 secs on that but to spend 3 mins on overruling the offiside for Sterling is quite a disgrace. (But i'm sure this must be a wind up anyway)

7 minutes ago, Dwmh said:

See  match thread and watch the video.  To  spend just 10 secs on that but to spend 3 mins on overruling the offiside for Sterling is quite a disgrace. (But i'm sure this must be a wind up anyway)

Its not the time it's the fact you can't be offside from a corner.  What about that are you determined not to understand?

I'm not having another "your way or the highway" conversation with you. 

Edited by Mark Kelly
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

It’s not the time it's the fact you can't be offside from a corner.  What about that are you determined not to understand?

Can’t you be offside if you’re standing in front of the keeper and blocking his view? Admittedly you don’t tend to see goals from corners given as offside very often, can’t recall the last time I saw one. 

It’s always been this business of checking every goal for offside which irritates me though, when VAR came in we were told it was to check for clear and obvious errors, not to micro manage the game, but that’s what they’re doing. You can barely celebrate now, they’ll even find a way to disallow goals from 20 yards, like the Caicedo goal.  It desperately needs sorting out, but I fear it’ll just get worse, not to mention the fact that they can look at an incident and still make the wrong decision anyway. I wouldn’t mind a challenge system like they have in tennis, but that won’t happen. 

Edited by Floyd25

55 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Can’t you be offside if you’re standing in front of the keeper and blocking his view? Admittedly you don’t tend to see goals from corners given as offside very often, can’t recall the last time I saw one. 

It’s always been this business of checking every goal for offside which irritates me though, when VAR came in we were told it was to check for clear and obvious errors, not to micro manage the game, but that’s what they’re doing. You can barely celebrate now, they’ll even find a way to disallow goals from 20 yards, like the Caicedo goal.  It desperately needs sorting out, but I fear it’ll just get worse, not to mention the fact that they can look at an incident and still make the wrong decision anyway. I wouldn’t mind a challenge system like they have in tennis, but that won’t happen. 

Put it this way.  Have you ever heard of an offside check for a headed goal from a corner in your life until Saturday?

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

''For the midweek away leg I couldn’t go to Ayresome Park (work or money, I forget which) so was forced to watch the game in a cinema in Central London. Chelsea defended ineptly and lost 2-0. Watching the game on screen in that way was a strange experience – some cheering and chanting but very self-consciously and generally a very odd feeling – not part of the game at all. There was also a showing at Hammersmith Odeon where Chris Quentin (aka ‘Brian Tilsley’ from Coronation Street) who was apparently a Boro fan, had to leave hurriedly after being spotted. I went home frustrated, partly at having to watch a game at the cinema (for the 1st and last time) but mainly because I knew we were in real trouble.''

Play off Semi at their place 1998 .....Arrrrrgh the good old days....Hammershith Odean....Remember it well.....

Scores to settle....!!

A decent read.....https://miniboro.com/14524.html

Edited by Liquidator

36 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

My wife's water has broken.

Ladies and gentleman, a new Blue is on the way. 

Brill , lets hope a future Chelsea Captain is on the way.

PS , tell Todd , he'll probably sign them for a kings ransom.

• Love 1

On 07/01/2024 at 16:40, Mark Kelly said:

It's definitely genuine. 

I do try to have a laugh with it though. 

But I do dislike him immensely. 

On the rare occasion that he does get things right it's like he's doing it on purpose to annoy me. 

Same here mate.  You are not alone.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

My wife's water has broken.

Ladies and gentleman, a new Blue is on the way. 

Life changes very, very soon for the pair of you - It’s a real positive life changing moment and if you’ve not experienced this before, the moment that child comes into your world it’s the most beautiful moment.

Good luck mate 👍

You’ll have to name the new one after the first Chelsea scorer after birth - Own Goal might be unique 😉

Was my own birthday yesterday, so a fellow of the January Club soon coming.

• Love 1