Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Crystal Palace win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/02/24 at 19:00

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

I'd go with Colwill if he can play for an hour. Where is Trev? I thought he was (nearly) available.

Agreed.  I half wonder if Thiago's role now will be CCB if we use a back 3 or as our "closer" in games 

And I think Trev's going to need a fair bit of reserve / training game time to get some match fitness after such a long layoff. 

(If that's even still a thing at Chelsea, not sure Nkunku/Lavia/Chilwell/anyone else has done it this season?)

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Badiashile ruled out for at least a month.

Colwill is in contention to play tonight.

Will Poch bring Silva back in or go with Colwill?

With Eze and Olise, I am not overly worried about their pace.

I expect Silva will play, and  I wouldn't want to rush Colwill if there is any doubt 

• Agree 1

I'm going all in with the mentality that the Villa win was a watershed moment for this group and will have flipped a switch in all the players heads. We hadn't beaten any team of note convincingly until that game. To realise what they are capable of, now they will want to continue to show that going forward.

A win puts us only 2 points behind Newcastle in 7th (likely Europa League place).

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

I'm going all in with the mentality that the Villa win was a watershed moment for this group and will have flipped a switch in all the players heads. We hadn't beaten any team of note convincingly until that game. To realise what they are capable of, now they will want to continue to show that going forward.

A win puts us only 2 points behind Newcastle in 7th (likely Europa League place).

EL spot would be an acceptable finish for this squad this season and would allow us to build for the next season.

If we can also secure one of the domestic cups that would be fair season given the circumstances.

I’ve really no idea what to expect tonight, I feel like that most weeks to be honest but the Villa performance has brought in that element of hope again!!

I think we can go out and win 2 or 3 nil tonight but it will be of no surprise if we look terrible, create nothing and lose 0-1.

Fingers crossed…

13 minutes ago, Bones said:

EL spot would be an acceptable finish for this squad this season and would allow us to build for the next season.

If we can also secure one of the domestic cups that would be fair season given the circumstances.

Completely agree. EL will give us an backup path into the CL if we mess up the league again, plus from next season CL teams will not drop down into it anymore, so in theory it will be "easier" to win.

• Like 1

I fear we're in danger of exaggerating the performance of that Villa win and the impact that can have moving forward. Villa are in poor form at the moment. In their last 6 games they've won once, drawing twice and losing three.

When did we last beat a good team in good form? Spurs away? Even that was a strange game.

It's going to take several good wins and performances for me to think this manager and group of players have turned a corner. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Completely agree. EL will give us an backup path into the CL if we mess up the league again, plus from next season CL teams will not drop down into it anymore, so in theory it will be "easier" to win.

Neither is going to happen, I am sorry. We are going to lose to Liverpool - we will likely beat Palace (if not it's a real disaster).

The true test is what happens after we get spanked by City. What has happened the entire season, and what will very likely happen again, is we get knocked off our good run and go on a dreadful run of form, especially with the fixtures afterwards.

Why do we keep falling for the fact that we win one game and then suddenly the pattern of the whole season is turned on its head?

2 minutes ago, Bison said:

In their last 6 games they've won once, drawing twice and losing three.

But going into the Villa game, they had lost 1, not 3. and they had won 20 of their previous 23 home games. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bison said:

I fear we're in danger of exaggerating the performance of that Villa win and the impact that can have moving forward. Villa are in poor form at the moment. In their last 6 games they've won once, drawing twice and losing three.

When did we last beat a good team in good form? Spurs away? Even that was a strange game.

It's going to take several good wins and performances for me to think this manager and group of players have turned a corner. 

100% - again, it's the 5 PL games (excl. Burnley) after Palace that are very likely a huge problem for us. 

Mark my words, we are gonna be heading into crisis mode again.

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

But going into the Villa game, they had lost 1, not 3. and they had won 20 of their previous 23 home games. 

You have to give credit where it's due. Rather than focus on Villa though, we should focus on ourselves and what we have done for the entire season, which is win 1 or 2 games and lose / draw the next 3. 

I am not trying to be too pessimistic but this idea that "we are back" and it's all clicked now, come on - it's ridiculously premature.

2 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

You have to give credit where it's due. Rather than focus on Villa though, we should focus on ourselves and what we have done for the entire season, which is win 1 or 2 games and lose / draw the next 3. 

I am not trying to be too pessimistic but this idea that "we are back" and it's all clicked now, come on - it's ridiculously premature.

Who said that Max?

9 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Neither is going to happen, I am sorry. We are going to lose to Liverpool - we will likely beat Palace (if not it's a real disaster).

The true test is what happens after we get spanked by City. What has happened the entire season, and what will very likely happen again, is we get knocked off our good run and go on a dreadful run of form, especially with the fixtures afterwards.

Why do we keep falling for the fact that we win one game and then suddenly the pattern of the whole season is turned on its head?

Liverpool game is irrelevant for EL qualification anyway 🙂

12 minutes ago, Ham said:

Who said that Max?

"I'm going all in with the mentality that the Villa win was a watershed moment for this group and will have flipped a switch in all the players heads. We hadn't beaten any team of note convincingly until that game. To realise what they are capable of, now they will want to continue to show that going forward."

@CarefreeMuratcan

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

You use quotation marks here. Who said that?

Edit - sorry, just seen. one person,

Edited by paulw66
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Liverpool game is irrelevant for EL qualification anyway 🙂

🥲

Finishing above City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, United, Villa, Newcastle....

Absolutely zero - not a cat in hells chance we finish above any of them - and I'm entirely doubtful we'll finish above West Ham or Brighton 

1 hour ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Also apparently because of Premier League teams poor performance in CL this season there will likely only be 4 CL places up for grabs now, so I assume 7th will be Europa Conference League.

Honestly I would rather we finished 10th than have to play in that Micky Mouse West Ham trophy

5 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

"I'm going all in with the mentality that the Villa win was a watershed moment for this group and will have flipped a switch in all the players heads. We hadn't beaten any team of note convincingly until that game. To realise what they are capable of, now they will want to continue to show that going forward."

@CarefreeMuratcan

So one person had this opinion and you have a different opinion.  

So in essence, two people with nothing but their opinions, either of which might be eventually proven right.  

2 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Also apparently because of Premier League teams poor performance in CL this season there will likely only be 4 CL places up for grabs now, so I assume 7th will be Europa Conference League.

Honestly I would rather we finished 10th than have to play in that Micky Mouse West Ham trophy

I heard yesterday that there is a 70% plus chance of 5th place in the PL getting CL qualification. 

I feel like tonight is quite pivotal. If we lose, or even draw playing poorly, with all the players they have missing, it will be a massive comedown after how well we played on Wednesday. 

We have to follow it up with another good performance. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Ham said:

So in essence, two people with nothing but their opinions, either of which might be eventually proven right.  

Indeed.  Quite unremarkable.

18 minutes ago, Ham said:

I am just trying to mitigate against a week of glowing reports on here about how wonderful this team is (like we had after the monumental wins against Boro and Preston) and gently remind everyone that we are f'cked after tonight.

8 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I feel like tonight is quite pivotal. If we lose, or even draw playing poorly, with all the players they have missing, it will be a massive comedown after how well we played on Wednesday. 

We have to follow it up with another good performance. 

To me it's not that pivotal because if we don't win it's an absolute disgrace... 
It's not even a must-win - it's a we likely are going to win.