Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Crystal Palace win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/02/24 at 19:00

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park before, during and after the game.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 20:00 hours on Monday, 12th February 2024 (Local UK time/date) (Live on Sky Sports)

Looks likely they’ll be without Olise as he’s had a recurrence of a hamstring injury.
Stating the bloody obvious here but we need something from this game as looking at our fixtures and current form (or lack of) there’s not much hope of getting any points from them.

4 minutes ago, chrisb said:

Looks likely they’ll be without Olise as he’s had a recurrence of a hamstring injury.
Stating the bloody obvious here but we need something from this game as looking at our fixtures and current form (or lack of) there’s not much hope of getting any points from them.

They're a piss poor side , anyone with any coaching acumen should be able to get something out of this with Olise out injured ( Hamstring eh? We only need to show interest in a player now)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, chrisb said:

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

They're a piss poor side , anyone with any coaching acumen should be able to get something out of this with Olise out injured ( Hamstring eh? We only need to show interest in a player now)

I have a couple of mates who are Palace fans, and they are seriously worried about relegation.

Olise out months, Eze out, and Guehi now out for 3 weeks. If we cant beat them, without their best 3 players, we may as well give up.

Olise was brought off the bench on Saturday and lasted 9 minutes before hobbling off. Given that they were 3-0 down at the time, I cant think of anything more moronic. 

• Like 2

Just now, paulw66 said:

I have a couple of mates who are Palace fans, and they are seriously worried about relegation.

Olise out months, Eze out, and Guehi now out for 3 weeks. If we cant beat them, without their best 3 players, we may as well give up.

Olise was brought off the bench on Saturday and lasted 9 minutes before hobbling off. Given that they were 3-0 down at the time, I cant think of anything more moronic. 

When I often say pick anyone to replace Poch and we'd do better , I'm always hoping nobody brings up Hodgson , WIlder or Moyes 😁

• Haha 1

We'll probably go and lose this one now, although we really shouldn't! If we can't beat this lot based on their current form and injuries, then it's way worse than I thought! Decisions for Poch will be...

Does he bring Silva back in? It's a no for me, as much as I love him, it does feel like it's time to phase him out of the team. This may mean Gilchrist starting, but I'm ok with that.

Does he bring Sterling back in? It's a definite no for me, the guy has no interest in our club, and has shown no fight or desire to try and help turn this around, which given he's one of the experienced players in the squad, is not acceptable. We looked so much better without him last night.

Do you stick with Jackson and Madueke or bring Nkunku back in? Or do you rest Gallagher for Nkunku? This is tougher, only in the sense of working out who comes out as I think Nkunku has to start, we need him in this side and need him building an understanding with the team. He's too good to be left out.

I would go:

Petrovic

Gusto - Disasi - Badiashile* - Chilwell

Enzo - Caicedo

Nkunku - Gallagher - Jackson

Palmer

*Gilchrist if Badiashile isn't fit

I really think that the front 4, plus Madueke rotating it can be really good for us, they can all rotate through the positions, which causes the opposition problems with knowing who to pick up and the press from Gallagher and Palmer can be devastating. Once we add a proper striker to the squad, you have the other 5 rotating in the 3 positions behind them and I think it's really strong, especially with 2 of Enzo, Caicedo and Lavia behind. We still have a long way to go to be truly competitive, but on paper at least the future can look bright.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

We'll probably go and lose this one now, although we really shouldn't! If we can't beat this lot based on their current form and injuries, then it's way worse than I thought! Decisions for Poch will be...

Does he bring Silva back in? It's a no for me, as much as I love him, it does feel like it's time to phase him out of the team. This may mean Gilchrist starting, but I'm ok with that.

Does he bring Sterling back in? It's a definite no for me, the guy has no interest in our club, and has shown no fight or desire to try and help turn this around, which given he's one of the experienced players in the squad, is not acceptable. We looked so much better without him last night.

Do you stick with Jackson and Madueke or bring Nkunku back in? Or do you rest Gallagher for Nkunku? This is tougher, only in the sense of working out who comes out as I think Nkunku has to start, we need him in this side and need him building an understanding with the team. He's too good to be left out.

I would go:

Petrovic

Gusto - Disasi - Badiashile* - Chilwell

Enzo - Caicedo

Nkunku - Gallagher - Jackson

Palmer

*Gilchrist if Badiashile isn't fit

I really think that the front 4, plus Madueke rotating it can be really good for us, they can all rotate through the positions, which causes the opposition problems with knowing who to pick up and the press from Gallagher and Palmer can be devastating. Once we add a proper striker to the squad, you have the other 5 rotating in the 3 positions behind them and I think it's really strong, especially with 2 of Enzo, Caicedo and Lavia behind. We still have a long way to go to be truly competitive, but on paper at least the future can look bright.

Whatever happens I want to see Jackson AND Nkunku start. Poch has cleverly avoided having them on the pitch together despite their understanding in pre-season. 

I'd be tempted to get Carney in for Gallagher as I think he'd have a field day against this lot, particularly with no Guehi. 

I can actually see us really hammering Palace and it's clearly not just me because the vote is 100% Chelsea win amongst CFCnet members...Fact;

Screenshot_20240208_093152_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1775ab837c0c78e4628736ad007ea0c9.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Whatever happens I want to see Jackson AND Nkunku start. Poch has cleverly avoided having them on the pitch together despite their understanding in pre-season. 

Is  this sarcasm? Due to fitness and AFCON, they have barely been available at the same time 

Edited by paulw66

50 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Is  this sarcasm? Due to fitness and AFCON, they have barely been available at the same time 

Not sarcasm.  In the past three games, since both were available, Poch has played one or the other.  Not both. 

Brought one on as the other went off or started one without the other. 

4 minutes ago, Ham said:

Not sarcasm.  In the past three games, since both were available, Poch has played one or the other.  Not both. 

Maybe Poch is keeping them apart until the next preseason 😃

Sorry couldn't resist 😃

Lets enjoy this game because the fixture list gets rapidly harder afterwards other than a can't win fixture against a strong promotion candidate, Leeds.

And lets enjoy the rare opportunities we have of having a full team and 7 or 8 adequate alternatives on the bench.  Very rare period for us.

3 hours ago, Ham said:

Apparently rotating strikers is a thing.  As is having a front 3 on the pitch and another front 3 on the bench.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Ham said:

Yeah, but they are being careful with Nkunku, post injury, and Jackson obviously wasn't ready for Wolves 

I've been to Selhurst once and it was a mixed experience. It wasn't Chelsea but Palace against Bolton I think, so it was a visit as a groundhopper (if that's what you call them).

It was a tired place, at least the Arthur Wait stand, where I was sitting. And the outside of the stadium isn't a very lovely place either. But the atmosphere was great and no trouble (though I was pretending being a home fan).

All in all fairly ok.

This is a must win, a derby we shall win.

23 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I used to live near Selburst Park. The area was OK apart from the days the Palace fans turned up. 

Depends on your definition of "OK". I live 15 mins walk away and the only good thing about that part is the big sainsburys. It is ALWAYS empty!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Yep, this is now an absolute must win.

To give a more positive take, this is a huge opportunity for everyone to build some momentum. We are literally playing against the only team with a manager in more trouble than ours (according to the betting at the start of the week) - with their three best players out. 

I am still hugely pessimistic about what is to come in our follow-up games, but for those of us who are more optimistic, what an opportunity!!! Only the fact that Selhurst is hard to go to should prevent us from winning. Losing would on the other hand be an absolute disaster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miguelito07 said:

Depends on your definition of "OK". I live 15 mins walk away and the only good thing about that part is the big sainsburys. It is ALWAYS empty!

I lived there (Thornton Heath) in the 1980s. It's a while ago.

• Like 1