Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Man City win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/02/24 at 16:30

Just now, Holymoly said:

Holy crap. Are we actually beginning to see progress?

If we had scored that second goal I think we would have ended up winning. On the flip side Haaland might have scored a hattrick and Chalobah might have ended up with two deflected goals. On balance I would have taken a draw however what killed our win in the end was the lack of a bench.

Yup. 9 players unavailable to their 2.

Their bench was much stronger. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Okay but at some point if we want to finish in Europe we need to win more PL games. I am also happy with a point but we simply have not got 3 points enough this season. That’s why we’re 10th

I completely agree. We have to improve from where we are, no doubt about that, but I do think we are. Our biggest problem at the moment is consistency, but that will come with experience, I hope.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Bringing on an extra defender made absolute sense. Extra height defending all of the corners they were getting 

Yes but I thought we kept them honest with our ability on the break up until then. They looked nervous at the back c and we got in behind them quite easily until the subs.  

2 minutes ago, Bison said:

Think you'll all be relieved to know I was unable to watch the game today so I have nothing to moan about this weekend. 

Chilwell was brilliant and Mudryk genuinely didn't put a foot wrong. 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Yes, it's all so simple. Just mark every player, all of the time. On that basis no player should score a goal, ever. 

That's not what I'm saying. 

If someone has a reputation for doing something, would you make sure your team is aware and work against that happening? 

If a player favours his left foot as a defender your job is to make sure if he gets the ball you make him play on his worse foot. 

Or every time we played Liverpool in the past and Riise whacked one in from the edge of the area did it bother you that Cahill was backing off so much he was at Fulham Broadway ticket office when the ball hit the net. 

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. 

Don’t see what our bench had to do with anything. If I was a Man City player I’d have been happy with Poch taking off all our forward players and trying to hold out for the last 25 mins with the game played entirely in our half. Of course they were going to score after that. We did well to escape with a draw in the end. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I completely agree. We have to improve from where we are, no doubt about that, but I do think we are. Our biggest problem at the moment is consistency, but that will come with experience, I hope.

My other concern is how we don't turn up against the smaller sides. Against City we can actually put in two performances we are really proud of and take 2 points - then Wolves go and take 6 off us. We think we competed really well against Arsenal and got pegged back for a point - then Everton did a number on us and took 3.

This is not at all to take the shine off a good day and I actually start to feel like I can identify with the players again when we play like this - but when we had the 2nd worst fixtures in the league over the next 7 (a couple of weeks ago) it was likely we would not be heading up the table no matter how admirably we competed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bones said:

Yes. I thought he should have stayed on too. Constant threat playing on the shoulder

Especially as Nkunku offered so little when he came on. The PL is made for solid, resilient, combative forwards. From what I've seen so far, I'm not convinced Nkunku is cut out for it.

3 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Don’t see what our bench had to do with anything. If I was a Man City player I’d have been happy with Poch taking off all our forward players and trying to hold out for the last 25 mins with the game played entirely in our half. Of course they were going to score after that. We did well to escape with a draw in the end. 

I especially thought taking off Palmer killed us, maybe he was tired. Having someone who can retain possession like that is a lifesaver against City.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Siidi said:

Especially as Nkunku offered so little when he came on. The PL is made for solid, resilient, combative forwards. From what I've seen so far, I'm not convinced Nkunku is cut out for it.

He looked incredible right after the injury. Unfortunately we've Chelseafied him and he looks half the player he was.

Edited by Max Fowler

1 minute ago, Siidi said:

He has got very good technique for sure. Looked not very bothered so far. Lets see how he gets on when he regains full match fitness.

7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

That's not what I'm saying. 

If someone has a reputation for doing something, would you make sure your team is aware and work against that happening? 

If a player favours his left foot as a defender your job is to make sure if he gets the ball you make him play on his worse foot. 

Or every time we played Liverpool in the past and Riise whacked one in from the edge of the area did it bother you that Cahill was backing off so much he was at Fulham Broadway ticket office when the ball hit the net. 

Lampard scored 211 goals for us. If only the opposition had only bothered to stop him 

17 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Screenshot_20240217_204339_X.jpg

Again - we can have a conversation about him being done defensively, just don't tell me it's because his passing is worse than Disasi's or Colwill's 😉

Thiago is far better on the ball than them still but you can see how much more they offer physically

Great performance, but you start to wonder if another manager could not have got us three pointds I had the same thought after our opening match of the season against Liverpool. 

Our first chance tells a lot about Nicolas Jackson. He had ample time to decide what to do, as the pass was travelling to him. But you could see he hadn't the faintest idea what to do  He had eternity in football terms to sort out his feet but couldnt. That was below Championshio standard. He did well with the pass to Sterling. But I would have played Madueke im place of Jackson. 

4 minutes ago, Siidi said:

Great performance, but you start to wonder if another manager could not have got us three pointds I had the same thought after our opening match of the season against Liverpool. 

Our first chance tells a lot about Nicolas Jackson. He had ample time to decide what to do, as the pass was travelling to him. But you could see he hadn't the faintest idea what to do  He had eternity in football terms to sort out his feet but couldnt. That was below Championshio standard. He did well with the pass to Sterling. But I would have played Madueke im place of Jackson. 

Madueke was abysmal against Palace. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Riise's time at Liverpool didn't overlap with Cahill 's at Chelsea BTW 

Regardless of whether Poch was damned either way, he has not really been able to affect games with subs this season and in fact a lot of his changes have been questionable / gone awry. 

I think he deserves a pat on the back for today but it's still okay to be concerned about his in-game management, and I don't think today made us think that he's really turned a corner in that regard.

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

Madueke was abysmal against Palace. 

Yes, and Jackson did a lot of good work. I always liked how Jackson pressed, got stuck in - he looks really fit and he had some beautiful link up play today too. Really harsh to say he's Championship - he does a lot of good work like Firmino without being a clinical goalscorer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Lampard scored 211 goals for us. If only the opposition had only bothered to stop him 

I expect everyone we played didn't expect him to score so didn't bother to try. 

How's that, am I doing it properly?