Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Man City win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/02/24 at 16:30

17 minutes ago, Rob B said:

City pounded us with wave after wave of attacks for pretty much the whole of the second half.   The likes of Sterling and Palmer were dead on their feet so he had two options:

Replace L4L and bring on Mudryk and Madueke or hold what you have. 

I know some will make an argument for Madueke but those aren’t subs I would have made away at City to be honest.   For all we know, he could have brought Mudryk on and we would have lost 2-1 

Exactly. There's a lot of Harry Hindsight going on here. 

We could have brought on two players who are clearly not trustworthy at the moment in terms of performance levels, and still drawn or lost. 

The same people complaining about the subs he made, would be complaining about these hypothetical ones. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Siidi said:

Madueke was poor against Palace, but that Palace.perfomanve came after a brilliant display  against Villa.  On every aspect of the game, including picking a simple final pass, I just think Madueke is more reliable.

I really do rate him, but he’s one of the most inconsistent players we have, one week he’s good, the next he’s really off it, needs to build up consistency and improve on his end product, there is definitely a player in there though. Will be interesting to see what happens next season regarding him and Angelo. 

Edited by Floyd25

17 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

I really do rate him, but he’s one of the most inconsistent players we have, one week he’s good, the next he’s really off it, needs to build up consistency and improve on his end product, there is definitely a player in there though. Will be interesting to see what happens next season regarding him and Angelo. 

He strikes me a bit Delle Alli ish. I think he hasn’t got a great mentality 

10 hours ago, Siidi said:

Thiago may be better on the ball, but he takes eternity to play it out, and that is bad in a game where transition is key. He touches the ball so many times, dithers, changes his mind, you wonder what really he's trying so do other than invite pressure on his team. 

I disagree. We also saw Disasi‘s weakness on the ball when he made a bad mistake late on to let the ball slip out for a throw.

I watched it again. Haaland's s**thouse stuff is really annoying. He grabs defenders on the ref's blindside and they grab back to avoid him getting away. So far is pretty standard stuff. Then he lets go, falls over and claims a penalty. Against Cucrella and now Chilwell. He is also partial to obstructing defenders to make space for his teammates. Classic bully. Hopefully, refs will get wise to it in time. The other thing was former Chelsea players Ake and de Bruyne falling over on the edge of the box and trying to claim a freekick was shameful as was booing Palmer.  Personally, I would prefer not to try to defend a 1-0 lead away to City for half an hour. Disappointing from Poch. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

Again - we can have a conversation about him being done defensively, just don't tell me it's because his passing is worse than Disasi's or Colwill's 😉

Thiago is far better on the ball than them still but you can see how much more they offer physically

Max, nobody has said its because his passing is worse than anyone. You cant change what people have said to suit your argument. 

You got this one wrong mate, take it on the chin and move on.

Like I said, couldn't watch this one. But for me RE: Madueke, he could not feature here because of his contribution to the Palace goal on Monday. To make a mistake is one thing, to not bother trying to correct it another. Most coaches drop most players for that to send a message, and quite rightly. And this is a match he'd have been desperate, I'm sure, to be part of. So hopefully a lesson learned.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I disagree. We also saw Disasi‘s weakness on the ball when he made a bad mistake late on to let the ball slip out for a throw.

I'm not talking about mistakes, which even the best players can make sometimes. And  by the way, Thiago has made more of them than any other Chelsea defender this season. We seem to not talk about it.

I am talking about style of play. No Chelsea defender dwells on the ball as Thiago. It's okay when you then hit a cracking pass. But that is not what usually happens at the end of the dithering, I'm afraid 

25 minutes ago, Siidi said:

I'm not talking about mistakes, which even the best players can make sometimes. And  by the way, Thiago has made more of them than any other Chelsea defender this season. We seem to not talk about it.

I am talking about style of play. No Chelsea defender dwells on the ball as Thiago. It's okay when you then hit a cracking pass. But that is not what usually happens at the end of the dithering, I'm afraid 

Absolutely no chance. Badiashille has made far more - Colwill also more. I would also agree Disasi has made the fewest mistakes.

Thiago makes more passes than any other defender. More short passes. More medium passes. More long passes. All with more accuracy. What does that mean? LESS DITHERING! 

35 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Max, nobody has said its because his passing is worse than anyone. You cant change what people have said to suit your argument. 

You got this one wrong mate, take it on the chin and move on.

To say I have got this wrong because of last night is cobblers Martin.

I will admit more openly than anyone else when I am wrong. Did I think Disasi and Colwill proved a point yesterday in terms of replacing Silva for the rest of the season? Yes! But not in terms of their on the ball play - it was because they could actually move and tackle and be physical and all that. Let's see how they, and the rest of the team, do in the cup and against smaller opposition.

22 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Did I think Disasi and Colwill proved a point yesterday in terms of replacing Silva for the rest of the season? Yes!

Arguably the best defensive display from us in a long while, unless I’m overdoing it, but I’m struggling to think of anything that tops it in recent times, Disasi and Colwill did themselves proud, need to keep it up now though. 

Edited by Floyd25
  • Agree 2

49 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Arguably the best defensive display from us in a long while, unless I’m overdoing it, but I’m struggling to think of anything that tops it in recent times, Disasi and Colwill did themselves proud, need to keep it up now though. 

It was reminding me of the CL final but in hindsight we are still nowhere near that team - I thought we rode our luck at times and had Haaland been on normal form we would have lost. Nonetheless, given the context of the season it was a great display. And Disasi alone put in a world class performance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

To say I have got this wrong because of last night is cobblers Martin.

I will admit more openly than anyone else when I am wrong. Did I think Disasi and Colwill proved a point yesterday in terms of replacing Silva for the rest of the season? Yes! But not in terms of their on the ball play - it was because they could actually move and tackle and be physical and all that. Let's see how they, and the rest of the team, do in the cup and against smaller opposition.

Mich like the Palace game Max, I'm not talking about one game.

You've missed the whole point.

It's not about how good Thiago Silva is on the ball, youve been arguing with yourself about that since this topic started. No one has questioned his passing ability. It's about how slow he is on the ball and how much that effects our overall game. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

Mich like the Palace game Max, I'm not talking about one game.

You've missed the whole point.

It's not about how good Thiago Silva is on the ball, youve been arguing with yourself about that since this topic started. No one has questioned his passing ability. It's about how slow he is on the ball and how much that effects our overall game. 

Yes they have. And if you can’t see that if someone makes more passes of all types that means they are not dithering then I don’t know what else I can tell you!

4 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Yes they have. And if you can’t see that if someone makes more passes of all types that means they are not dithering then I don’t know what else I can tell you!

Mate, he walks with the ball, takes far too many touches and most of his passes go 5 yards sideways or backwards.

It's irrelevant how many passes he makes,  he slows the whole team down.

2 hours ago, Max Fowler said:

His progressive use of the ball was out of this world yesterday, both under pressure with short calm first time passes to teammates in our area and when he had the chance to come out and look up.

Using him yesterday to make any point about Silva is not helping you.  Silva doesn't do what Disasi did yesterday.

9 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

Again, forget the number of passes or the types of pass and listen to what is being said. 

You need to trust your eyes as stats don't paint the whole picture.

We look better without him. Everyone sees it. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, martin1905 said:

most of his passes go 5 yards sideways or backwards.

The stats say otherwise - he makes far more medium and long passes than any of our other defenders and more covers more progressive distance with his passes than any other defender too (8th most in the league).

19 minutes ago, Ham said:

His progressive use of the ball was out of this world yesterday, both under pressure with short calm first time passes to teammates in our area and when he had the chance to come out and look up.

Using him yesterday to make any point about Silva is not helping you.  Silva doesn't do what Disasi did yesterday.

Again, forget the number of passes or the types of pass and listen to what is being said. 

You need to trust your eyes as stats don't paint the whole picture.

We look better without him. Everyone sees it. 

I am using my eyes. And again I am making a clear distinction between his work on the ball and off the ball, which you refuse to acknowledge. Silva is the latest scapegoat this season and you are the one regurgitating a tired narrative.

"His progressive use of the ball was out of this world yesterday" - I didn't see that at all. He was world class defensively.

Disasi had 80% pass accuracy across medium and long passes. He miscontrolled the ball twice losing possession - the third highest in the team. Ironically Disasi only performed well across short passes and yet Thiago is being the one scapegoated.

Let's see what happens over the coming weeks - I bet people will call for Thiago back in the team soon enough.

Sorry Ham, to be told I need to "trust my eyes" from someone who thinks that this squad is the real deal is a bit much... 🙂

18 minutes ago, Max Fowler said:

I am using my eyes. And again I am making a clear distinction between his work on the ball and off the ball, which you refuse to acknowledge. Silva is the latest scapegoat this season and you are the one regurgitating a tired narrative.

"His progressive use of the ball was out of this world yesterday" - I didn't see that at all. He was world class defensively.

Disasi had 80% pass accuracy across medium and long passes. He miscontrolled the ball twice losing possession - the third highest in the team. Ironically Disasi only performed well across short passes and yet Thiago is being the one scapegoated.

Let's see what happens over the coming weeks - I bet people will call for Thiago back in the team soon enough.

Sorry Ham, to be told I need to "trust my eyes" from someone who thinks that this squad is the real deal is a bit much... 🙂

Zero point in carrying this debate on as you're too entrenched in misleading stats to see the bleeding obvious.

Oh, and I maintain that this squad is the real deal.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

He’s a great defender but shouldn’t we at least try to get ease him out a bit? He shouldn’t be playing every game

He’s gone at the end of the season and would much rather see defensive r/ships with the others 

Certainly a good result and an overall positive performance, though at some point, to fully buy-in, we need to eventually win one of these big games.

The performance was truly excellent for about 40 minutes. Pochettino got it horribly wrong a few times this season, but this time having Gallagher harass Rodri was very astute. Rodri doesn't lose the ball much, but slowing him down did shut them off with lesser involvment from their stars.

Then, City's superiority at all levels took over. Changes weren't going to shift that dynamic IMO. They brought on B.Silva, we brought on Casadei. Says it all.

I still don't believe this is a turning point or something. I think the stakes for the league position are pretty low. 8th place seems to be the ceiling, and there's just no upside in that.

Considering that, I think it's time to project onto the future. Test out Colwill & Disasi together and see if they step up in a defensive leader role with Thiago's departure basically sealed.

Projecting into the future, Petrovic's complete inability to do anything with the ball at his feet makes him a midtable GK (good shot stopper and that's it, think Leno). If you believe in this team and its potential to be better than midtable, then you'll want someone who can contribute *something* vs high press teams. I'd rather a GK who tries and sometimes makes mistakes than not trying at all, giving up throw-ins in our own half was invinting pressure and making it far too easy on them, no better than messing up a few passes. I'm not a fan of either but in that sense Sanchez has a higher upside at least (+ his superior claiming crosses ability).

Gallagher is comfortably a Top 3 of our best players this season, and he isn't 3 (and possibly not 2 the way things are going).

Edited by Sabrina F.
  • Like 1

Adding to my  "impression" post late,,for me here,...last night ..I was impressed by Jackson's insane work rate and overall contribution to the tempo of the game in general and the Chelsea efforts in particular...his mistakes around the goal are highlighted..rightly up to a point .....but the Big H was as at fault at the other end,

The ball across for Stirling was perfect and the one effort most criticised was ..if you look just a bit deeper and away from Jackson, was as much down to the Citeh keeper doing what he does as well as anyone which is go into the hurting zone snapping like a rat trap, fast and bravely ...as an apparent fudge by Jackson.

Great result regardless of criticism's...come on guys..away at Citeh with an impressive unbeaten home record ?

Everything we have been asking of the young squad all season...not perfect but a fighting, down and dirty .in a scrapping sense, display against one of the best sides in the World, let alone EPL,

Who doesn't feel a sense of Chelsea pride this day?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1