Message added by My Blood Is Blue,

Matchday prediction  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be?

• Man City win
    • Draw
    • Chelsea win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/02/24 at 16:30

7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

So everyone who's had a bad game shouldn't get another? 

Good game this. 

Put simply, nobody was upset Madueke didn't start this one and nobody beforehand thought he deserved to start. That's all 

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I expect everyone we played didn't expect him to score so didn't bother to try. 

How's that, am I doing it properly? 

Not really sure I understand your point. Sticking to today's goal, it's not like anyone passed it to an unmarked Rodri.... The ball richoeted fortuitously into his path. It happens. 

If you take exception to that, then you can take exception to every goal ever scored. 

Jackson is so close, yet still so far away from being a world class striker.  He can do things other strikers can only dream of,  but my god does he need to practice shooting first time in training.  If he can master that, he will be a force to be reckoned with.

As others have already said, Gusto, Disasi and Colwill were immense.  Gallagher and Palmer their usual brilliant selves too. 

Not to take the shine off a great performance and result all things considered, but Caicedo really needs to cut out the needless fouls and I also expect a bit more from Nkunku.  Not in terms of output, but in terms of effort.   Appreciate he is building up to fitness, but even my closing down has more intensity at 5 a side!! 

Great stuff overall though, will do our confidence / belief the world of good before the cup final.  3 decent away performances on the bounce now too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Put simply, nobody was upset Madueke didn't start this one and nobody beforehand thought he deserved to start. That's all 

Plenty of people have mentioned that taking off the counter attacking players and replacing them with defenders wasn't as good an idea as it seemed to Pochettino. 

My position is that with a cowardly coach of course it made sense however it's the reason we didn't hold on for the win as all it really did was signal to City that they could attack without fear. 

Again, it was still a really excellent performance so I'm not quibbling about it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Plenty of people have mentioned that taking off the counter attacking players and replacing them with defenders wasn't as good an idea as it seemed to Pochettino. 

My position is that with a cowardly coach of course it made sense however it's the reason we didn't hold on for the win as all it really did was signal to City that they could attack without fear. 

Again, it was still a really excellent performance so I'm not quibbling about it. 

I was responding to a post that stated Madueke should have started over Jackson 

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Not really sure I understand your point. Sticking to today's goal, it's not like anyone passed it to an unmarked Rodri.... The ball richoeted fortuitously into his path. It happens. 

If you take exception to that, then you can take exception to every goal ever scored. 

I'm not fussed about losing the goal I'm fussed about our coach not preparing the side to expect the shot from someone who has a reputation for doing it. 

Everyone behind the ball was watching it happen, everyone in front of Rodri was watching it. 

Taking exception to every goal scored is the mark of a top coach. 

We had them and then we didn't. 

And we haven't got a top coach. 

I get accused of being a troll so I'll say something positive:

Silva out and Disasi/Colwill in has produced better performances. Gusto is also a gem. 

Gallagher is very good at hassling and being a nuisance and is home grown. I like him despite his limitations. 

Palmer nothing needs to be said. Reminds me of Zola sometimes. Really classy player.

Love Silva and he needs to be moved to player/coach ASAP.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Madueke was abysmal against Palace. 

Madueke was poor against Palace, but that Palace.perfomanve came after a brilliant display  against Villa.  On every aspect of the game, including picking a simple final pass, I just think Madueke is more reliable.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Max Fowler said:

Again - we can have a conversation about him being done defensively, just don't tell me it's because his passing is worse than Disasi's or Colwill's 😉

Thiago is far better on the ball than them still but you can see how much more they offer physically

Thiago may be better on the ball, but he takes eternity to play it out, and that is bad in a game where transition is key. He touches the ball so many times, dithers, changes his mind, you wonder what really he's trying so do other than invite pressure on his team. 

26 minutes ago, east lower said:

Well, perhaps driving isn’t going to avoid not getting home. 

Stuck not moving about 80 yards from accident on M42 with nothing but blue lights and traffic officers going past. Been an hour now not moved an inch.

Other Chelsea fans on Twitter also stuck in that. 

29 minutes ago, Siidi said:

Thiago may be better on the ball, but he takes eternity to play it out, and that is bad in a game where transition is key. He touches the ball so many times, dithers, changes his mind, you wonder what really he's trying so do other than invite pressure on his team. 

You've only got to look at Disasi's progressive vertical passing today to see how things could and should be. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JaneB said:

He’s vile 🤮

He might well be, but so long as footballers ( or anyone in the public eye ) are not up to serious criminal activity, then I really couldn't care less what they get up to in their private life. 

There's numerous actors, musicians, sports stars etc who I've been a fan of who've been questionable/ flawed characters but that never stopped me enjoying what they did professionally.

34 minutes ago, east lower said:

Well, perhaps driving isn’t going to avoid not getting home. 

Stuck not moving about 80 yards from accident on M42 with nothing but blue lights and traffic officers going past. Been an hour now not moved an inch.

Just be careful on that phone with the engine running, lad. Cycling Mikey may zoom up to your window 😛

59 minutes ago, Ham said:

You've only got to look at Disasi's progressive vertical passing today to see how things could and should be. 

Yep, Disasi looks suited to the modern game, reads the attacking part of the game very well, and knows when to release the ball. And he's brilliant at defending. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, johnnybozo said:

Just be careful on that phone with the engine running, lad. Cycling Mikey may zoom up to your window 😛

Engine off most of the time, switching on only to de-fog the screens.

2 hours ago, Ham said:

Other Chelsea fans on Twitter also stuck in that. 

Just over an hour, a BMW up on the embankment and a mini facing the wrong way on the hard shoulder, thankfully no major damage seen.

Got in at 12:45am, one long and hazardous drive that.

Anyway, thought Gusto was magnificent tonight. I see Disasi got MOM, and he was great too.

Edited by east lower
  • Like 1

Really good game first and foremost. 

Disappointing to only get a point, but at the same time it was probably fair and more than maybe initially expected so can't be too upset. 

Really loved the fight we showed and willingness to dig in, defensively we look more balanced and we did well to create from the break. Probably let down by our usual wastefulness and a lack of composure, which was frustrating but overall not going to get too picky. 

Probably went a bit too defensive too early but limited options off the bench, tired legs, and some of the attackers not quite getting back as effectively as they were earlier in the game, I'm not going to be too critical of Poch's choices. 

But yeah, really solid point to pick up and an encouraging performance to boot. 

First impressions watching a recording of the game.

The sheer mobility of Chelsea seemed to rattle Citeh...usually when they go down to a "breakaway" or against the play goal happens more often than you may think...they usually face a real, desperate, low block defense minded opposition..not so with Chelsea today as I saw it...Jackson and Palmer worked their butts off tracking back whilst still helping put pressure on Citeh,,,I got the impression that Citeh were doing their usual pressure just a bit further back from the area than usual at least until the "mobile" defence/attack unit was changed for defenders who I guess retreated to play where they are accustomed to.... that retreat gave Citeh the impetus to go harder and closer....

The Citeh goal ?..not on the edge but Rodri was in the area ..hit a loose ball well and got a wicked deflection that sealed the goal...couldn't see it properly but Petr was in the general area where the ball was going..with luck who knows?

45 minutes ago, chara said:

First impressions watching a recording of the game.

The sheer mobility of Chelsea seemed to rattle Citeh...usually when they go down to a "breakaway" or against the play goal happens more often than you may think...they usually face a real, desperate, low block defense minded opposition..not so with Chelsea today as I saw it...Jackson and Palmer worked their butts off tracking back whilst still helping put pressure on Citeh,,,I got the impression that Citeh were doing their usual pressure just a bit further back from the area than usual at least until the "mobile" defence/attack unit was changed for defenders who I guess retreated to play where they are accustomed to.... that retreat gave Citeh the impetus to go harder and closer....

The Citeh goal ?..not on the edge but Rodri was in the area ..hit a loose ball well and got a wicked deflection that sealed the goal...couldn't see it properly but Petr was in the general area where the ball was going..with luck who knows?

From what I could see, it looked like he was going to get to the initial shot, but the deflection gave him No chance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

We need to take into account just how raw and inexperienced at this level Jackson is. Like a number of others,  he's being thrown in at the deep end to learn his trade. Compare that to the way City gradually brought on Foden over a number of years. 

Encouring thing is that up to 70 mins we were able to cause City real problems today. We still have huge room for improvement while City are pretty much at the level they've been for years now and certainly won't be getting any better once Pep leaves.

I'd love to see steady improvement in his game. I'm afraid to say even the good things seem to come by chance. In a league  where you might only get one chance to win a tough game, I just don't see how we can challenge for top 4 with a striker like Jackson. It just won't happen.

We waited three or so seasons for Havertz and Werner to come good and they finished pretty much as they started. We must learn our lessons.

11 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I completely agree. We have to improve from where we are, no doubt about that, but I do think we are. Our biggest problem at the moment is consistency, but that will come with experience, I hope.

I think you need to add the manager into that list too. He was all too ready to go defensive. He did it far too early and we ended up conceding, at which point we no longer had the players on the pitch to go looking for a winner. The players are beginning to believe in themselves, unfortunately we have a Spurs manager who considers a point away to the champions is a win.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I think you need to add the manager into that list too. He was all too ready to go defensive. He did it far too early and we ended up conceding, at which point we no longer had the players on the pitch to go looking for a winner. The players are beginning to believe in themselves, unfortunately we have a Spurs manager who considers a point away to the champions is a win.

City pounded us with wave after wave of attacks for pretty much the whole of the second half.   The likes of Sterling and Palmer were dead on their feet so he had two options:

Replace L4L and bring on Mudryk and Madueke or hold what you have. 

I know some will make an argument for Madueke but those aren’t subs I would have made away at City to be honest.   For all we know, he could have brought Mudryk on and we would have lost 2-1 

• Agree 1