Chelsea 0 Liverpool 0

JaneB

On 03/04/2023 at 11:27, Bert19 said:

Genuinely have no idea on this one. Two Jekyll & Hyde teams coming off pretty horrendous results at the weekend and now we don't have a manager (that could be a positive though). 

Anyone got any idea if Sterling and Fofana might be back? Mount is clearly fit.  

My team would be this:

Kepa 

Trev Koulibaly Badiashile 

Reece Enzo Kovacic Chillwell 

Mount Felix 

Havertz 

If Fofana and Sterling are fit, I think they play ahead of Trev and one of Havertz or Felix. 

Looks about right to me.

If James is at Centre Back again, I am not sure I will make it past the pub. 

I can't get too enthusiastic about the result of this game. While I'm grateful GP left us with Bruno rather than Billy Reid (former manager of that Scottish powerhouse Hamilton Accies) I can't see anything but him being a chip off the old block and us ending up starting the same players in the same formation with a similar message to go out and try to play football. Hopefully Bruno might see the benefit of perhaps suggesting some sort of tactic. Maybe a good drubbing will focus the board's minds to get a full time head coach in sooner rather than later.

What I want to see though, perhaps more than anything, is an animated bench rather than something from the politburo at the May Day parade that we have been subject to with Potter and Reid. I want to see someone like Steve Clarke who would go in at half time and inflict damage on those players not performing. The number of times we've been ok in the first half only to come out in the second (presumably after a team talk) and play like a bunch of clueless tossers.

Hoping for some sort of improvement but crossing my fingers and not holding my breath.

• Agree 1

If Fofana is available, I'd go for

-----------------Kepa

------Fofana---KK----Badiashile

James----Kante----Enzo----Chilwell

------------------Felix

--------Mount--------Havertz

I am hoping that the midfielders will be able to organise cover for their runs. I'd have Mudryk on the bench because his pace would be a nightmare for tiring players in the second half. Sterling may also be fit today and might also come on later for the same reason. If Fofana is not fit enough, then I'd play Trev at RCB.

• Like 1

I suggested Havertz because he is tall and can head the ball. Too many of our attacking players are short.  Liverpool fans are saying the VvD hasn't travelled.

Edited by Sciatika
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will we have the sense to just go long and diagonal over Alexander-Arnold, with someone always ready to run onto that ball? 

It's obviously not as simple as that, I'm being a bit glib and throwing away possession against Liverpool isn't a great idea, but all the same ... It seems to work!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Will we have the sense to just go long and diagonal over Alexander-Arnold, with someone always ready to run onto that ball? 

It's obviously not as simple as that, I'm being a bit glib and throwing away possession against Liverpool isn't a great idea, but all the same ... It seems to work!

That's actually their sole tactic too, diagonal balls hoofed long my Alexander Arnold or Robertson ad nauseum. 

They're nothing without their meds. 

Hah! Just realised the opposition has an even worse record over the last 6 games than us.

LWWWDL

Vs

DWWLLL

Of course they have scored more goals than us in that time. Going on the stats it looks like it will be a basketball score game. Me being the eternal pessimist can only see a substantial loss for us. Still crossing my fingers.

• Thanks 1