Chelsea 1 Newcastle United 1 (Chelsea win 4-2 on penalties)

JaneB

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Carabao Cup Quarter Final match against Newcastle United at Stamford Bridge before, during and after the game.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 20:00 hours on Tuesday, 19th December 2023 (Local UK time/date) (Live on Sky Sports)

14 hours ago, asvaberg said:

Any hope of winning anything this season stands or falls with this home game.

With Newcastle now out of Europe, I think they may switch focus to this cup. Silverware for them this season would be huge.

The flip side of it is they have an injury list that’s getting close to ours in terms of length, so it may well be youth vs youth.

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

Oh no! I sent my Santa letter to "Santa's Grotto, Finland" along with some chocolate and oranges for Rudolph. When did he move to Norway?

Fun fact: There is an ongoing dispute whether Santa and his reindeer are based in Finland or Norway.

Fun fact II: It is extremely unpolite to ask a Sami  how many reindeer he owns (it's like asking a a non-sami what their bank balance is). 

In addition, the herds migrate from territory to territory, so we don't really know how many reindeer there are in each country.

But we're good friends, Finish and Norwegians - and we have one thing in common: we don't like Swedes 🙂

I think you're safe with your shipment. Someone will  read it and send a present down your chimney 🙂

Edited by asvaberg
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Ham said:

I swear these journalists don't even realise they're doing it.

Good luck to the plucky, Injury-ravaged outsiders against the billion dollar behemoth.

It isn't always the journalists doing it.  In this case it is Newcastle PR doing them.  Can't blame Newkie PR, Journaliss are such idiots.

• Agree 1

Just now, CarefreeMuratcan said:

No. Lose the next 3 games and win this. The cups are our only path into Europe. 

Interesting. I mean it's all hypothetical, but I don't know what my answer would be.

I can see advantages to both. I would just like to see this squad and manager have a litter period of high confidence and positive results, and something like 3 straight wins can really build that. Likewise, a good cup run can too. The thought of losing a double leg semi to someone like Liverpool can be quite crushing though.

I would probably slightly favour sacrificing tonight for the three straight league wins. It's a tough call though.

I'm oddly looking forward to this tonight, maybe it's the Christmas spirit, but I just have a good feeling about it. The team pretty much picks itself with the injuries we have, with the only question being do we stick with 4231 or go back to 433? I would go 433 as we need to try and compete and win that midfield battle with Newcastle. I would give Silva another rest and try and get some minutes back into Gusto's legs, he's going to be important for us for the remainder of the season.

Petrovic

Gusto - Disasi - Badiashile - Colwill 

Enzo - Caicedo - Gallagher

Palmer - Jackson - Sterling

Nkunku off the bench for 30 mins would be lovely to see as well, ideally with us ahead and comfortable, rather than bringing him on in the hope he can work miracles in another game that's got away from us!